Aku's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Aku's bag

Postby Akuf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:07 am

So I have been playing with this bag for a while, but I feel like something is missing.

Drivers:
Ch destroyer - distance hyzer flips or distance turnovers
Ch destroyer - really really stable, head wind or special shots, sidearm
Star destroyer - flies straight, used for most of my distance shots - 120-150m

C-Pd - shorter drives than ds, overstable 90-120m
S-pd - beat up, anhyzers or hyzer flips
S-pd 1x heinonen - understable, shorter turnovers

C-line td - long flex shots 90-110m
S-td - beatup, flies farther than c line, long turnovers ( bigger turnovers than the pd)

P-Pd2 - distance hyzers, headwind

Midranges

2x s-line MD2 - both fly the same, straight drives
P-line md2 - turnover shots
Premium midari - hyzer/anyhyzer shots

Approach

R-pro pig - hyzers
R-pro rhyno - short straight or little anhyzers
D-p1 - turnovers

Putters

P-p1

I will change the rhyno + p-p1 to factory 2nd 11x aviars when I get those.
Akuf
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Re: Aku's bag

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:49 am

Hmmm, I don't see anything really wrong with that. That's basically my bag, except I have Swords instead of Destroyers (I used to have Destroyers at one point), Basic/Premium JOKERi instead of Pig/Rhyno, and IONs instead of P1's (I threw P and D-P1's for most of my DG career). I do prefer the C-MD2 over the Premium MIDARi, mainly because the MD2 glides better, but I could definitely roll with the MIDARi. The only real "gaps" I see are between mid ranges and drivers (though with your distance it shouldn't be a problem, I'm sure you know how to power up on your mids or power down on your drivers), and possibly you could find use for a really overstable utility disc (my personal favorite is the Premium RESPECTi).

What do you feel you lack? What sort of shots give you trouble?

PS. Am I right in assuming that you're Finnish?
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Akuf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 3:05 am

Yes I'm finnish and I feel like there could be something between my pds and midranges and maybe more stable midrange.
Akuf
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:30 am

Akuf wrote:Yes I'm finnish and I feel like there could be something between my pds and midranges and maybe more stable midrange.
Well, a Vector (my choice at the moment, though I have little need for that sort of disc), Pain or a KC Roc would work for a more stable mid range, and if you want something between the drivers and mids there are plenty of fairway driver options, TeeBird and Eagle-X being the most popular.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:35 am

Aku is the second cousin of mafa and placed 4th in juniors in the Finnish championship this year and second in the Discmania/Frisbeepoint tour. I'll talk with Aku tomorrow when we are at the Olympic stadium (of 1952 summer olympics a few of world distance records away from my home). I've been contemplating throwing in there if we get the chance :-D The nasty thing is my busted ankle and the remnants of Katia. Average of 26 MPH winds are predicted and of course rain.

And Aku should be at school, when he posted :mrgreen:
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Akuf » Tue Sep 13, 2011 4:45 am

@JR Phone with internet connection is awesome :D
Akuf
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Sep 13, 2011 5:03 am

Akuf wrote:@JR Phone with internet connection is awesome :D

I know for a fact that Aku's classes stop an hour from posting that message :D
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Sep 13, 2011 10:15 am

a roc or wasp would be a good compliment to your md2's (which i had no idea they made in S-line). i would recommend the teebird, TL, eagle, or leopard for fairways. mix and match them to your liking.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby jubuttib » Tue Sep 13, 2011 2:41 pm

Hyzerline49 wrote:(which i had no idea they made in S-line)
They started out with S and P-Lines, the C and D only came in this year. The reason you haven't heard of them is because frankly they aren't anything special compared to the others.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:02 am

We didn't have time to really test more overstable discs than MD2s, FW drivers and a light Nuke that was raped by the winds. So no conclusions so far from me. I'd need more data. But given the winds something more overstable than MD2 should help. Z Wasp, some Vectors, Glo Z Buzzzes (less turn and more fade than Z Buzzzes), premium Rocs come to mind right now. Something in speed 6-7 range for shorter shots than PD. Depending on your needs and preferences maybe a Champion Leopard for hyzer flip to flat straight low fade shots or annies and Star Eagle (X wing, Champions are often L winged) for different uses. Weight makes Eagles behave very differently for me anyway. All Eagles move a lot right to left given height and slight hyzer. Light ones are not overstable and 166s are versatile and straight and heavy ones are mostly straight then hard left and shorter. For shorter and harder fade Z Predator. Better wind handling than most FWs and more D than Banshee and XXX. Broken in ones get straighter and longer. Even new Z Preds get decent distance on a straight line into heavy headwinds. Gust handling is excellent. X Predators don't need as much power and can't take as much headwind and are out of production. FLX Preds vary a lot and some that have used them longer say that they change in flight properties very abruptly.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Akuf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:45 am

I own 3 star eagles (stable, 1 little beatup and 1 that flips alot) and used them for a while but removed them from my bag because I could do all the same things with my PDs.
Akuf
Noob

Postby JR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:24 pm

PDs do one thing better than Eagles and it is flying too far beyond the target. Especially in lighter weights. Heavy Eagles are way shorter for me at full power compared to PDs and full weight Eagle throw sits between mids and PDs distance wise. So there is a smaller distance gap between mids and drivers with assuredly not flying past the basket for some range beyond mid distance and under full power PD distance.

Straightness of flight depends on which kind of PDs you have and how heavy your Eagles are. 150 Eagle is very different from 166 and that is straighter than 175. 150 fades way late and not so much and won't skip as much being so slow. Something even the straightest PDs underpowered can't do if you are in a tight tunnel hole. The tighter the place the better a suitable FW driver will be. Even against such a versatile drivers as PDs and straight S TDs.

Varying heights and distances after a straight portion of the flight to turn or the amount of sideways play is always more easily manipulated with a slower driver. Not to mention getting out of trouble shots from places, where you can't generate full power and will throw slowly and can't have a lot of fade. No distance driver fares as well in shorter no/little fade shots, where annies aren't an option.

Short version: You can do more with slower discs and they will teach you new tricks by opening up new flight line options to those available to you now with too fast discs. That in turn will increase your skills. Not bad if you ask me.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Akuf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:28 pm

I can throw midranges 90-100m, eagles (175g) 110m, pds 120m on max distance on flat ground.
Akuf
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:48 pm

Akuf wrote:I can throw midranges 90-100m, eagles (175g) 110m, pds 120m on max distance on flat ground.
How about on golf lines, much more relevant.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Akuf » Wed Sep 14, 2011 12:55 pm

jubuttib wrote:
Akuf wrote:I can throw midranges 90-100m, eagles (175g) 110m, pds 120m on max distance on flat ground.
How about on golf lines, much more relevant.

Well at Toppila during FC I threw hole 5 (137m) inside 8 meters twice during the competition straight line no anhyzers. So atleast 125m on golf distance, toppila hole 1 I threw my drives when tried over the basket (133m long hole) but it had -5 elevation compared to hole 5 which was on flat ground.

These throws were with a destroyer but so its not a matter of distance.
Akuf
Noob

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion