Q's from a newbie lefty-

A spot where people can post questions on the Instructional Articles from the site.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Q's from a newbie lefty-

Postby Conch » Sat May 14, 2011 4:04 pm

I am really new to disc golf and as much as I am enjoying it I am not clear with the terminology, obviously being a lefty skews my view but here is my Q -

Are disc flight characteristics named because of disc rotation or flight path? If I, a lefty, throw a backhand, ccw spin, and it curves to the right is that still a hyzer? I throw sidearm, cw spin, opposite of my backhand spin, but it is the same spin as a righty backhand - is a lefty hyzer the same flight path as a righty or is it opposite.

(am starting to confuse myself, hopefully one of you can make sense of my Q and help me get the lingo right)

Thanks and smoothgrooves!
Conch
Conch
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Beast

Re: Q's from a newbie lefty-

Postby kern9787 » Sat May 14, 2011 4:47 pm

Hyzer is the angle of release when you throw. The disc will be tilted with the top facing away from you. So rhbh and lhfh would fade the same way from a hyzer. (Left). Rhfh and lhbh would be the opposite direction.
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Amateur » Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:42 pm

Mirror image. Righty hyzers go left. Lefty hyzers go right. Your lefty drives that go right are likely turnovers, or drives released at an anhyzer angle.

Good luck. I reccommend trying a Comet. IMO the best disc for shots you want to turn, or (in your case) go right, which is something you are going to be all too familiar with soon.
PD - Valkyrie - Buzzz - Challenger
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:56 pm

Meteors go right.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Conch » Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:49 am

Thanks, guys, for the info and suggestions,

I am now almost five months into my disc golf addiction and though far from being very good or knowledgeable I am progressing. I am an older player and I don't have a lot of distance but still enjoy the challenges. I have switched to being primarily a LHBH thrower and for me my "go to" anhyzer discs are a Comet and an ESP Avenger SS. For my distance shots I "S curve" hyzer an Z Nuke, distance being a relative term...lol. I have come to love the BuzzzSS and very strongly believe that every new player should play only with a mid and a putter until they learn to throw the discs straight and straighter. I actually had people tell me this out of the gate but of course I ignored them and bought a bunch of plastic that I no longer use.

A carryover from ball golf is that I am a dedicated practicer and I have set some goals for myself for the upcoming year. I will join the PDGA on October 1 and start entering some tournaments with hopes of being able to play in Charlotte in July. (In the super geezer division).

I really appreciate this site and all the effort that yall put in, I know it's a constant time drain and requires huge dedication. Thanks again.

All the best,
Conch
Conch
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Beast

Return to Questions About Articles on Disc Golf Review