New video uploaded

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: New video uploaded

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:42 pm

I watched your video this morning and recall you said something in passing about this drill being similar to your putting. When I reach around a tree I often plant my left foot behind my mini and stretch my right foot out in front of my left parallel to the basket so that my right shoulder/hip is turned away from the target for an anny shot. I recently found that I was having better luck puting alot of spin/snap on my new fav putter the Ion. My problem has been that when I face the basket I release early or late too often. I played 36 today and had some real success with my right shoulder away from the basket having a shoulder high, bent elbow backhand release.

Having my feet in the same position as your drill really puts the spin on the disc and Ions love spin. I'm going to practice it for a while and hopefully have similar results as today. Thanks for the visual.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby ashley » Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:30 pm

I watched this video yesterday, and went out and played a round. There is a short little 220 foot wooded hole(tight fairway) that I gave this a try on. I used a 163 teebird, and it flew so smoothly. Didn't hit a single tree, ended up 50 feet past. Guess I will be throwing a roc next time. Thanks.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby Aubin » Thu Sep 08, 2011 3:37 pm

I've been concentrating on accuracy lately, and doing really well; hitting fairways and upshots with a LOT more consistency. Only 'problem' is that I'm really topping out in distance on full drives. I would start at the center of the teepad and x-step straight, throwing almost from an open chest/shoulders position (the opposite of this thread).

Trying out this technique and extending the arm past the shoulder plane, keeping the chest more than 90 degrees away from the target so the disc accelerates more in the last moment, has given me a ton more distance. There are a few drawbacks though:

Normally, I would have to concentrate on keeping the disc 'nose down' but now it is very easy. So much so that if I try to throw nose down on purpose, it's a very low flying 'worm burner' flight. Does this technique help promote nose down, so I don't have to concentrate on it?

All of my discs are flying less stable than before. Pretty obvious with more spin and power, but I want to stay away from OAT.

My timing is all out of whack.

I'll report back with any updates, thanks for the video.
ChallengerMagnetCometTeebirdsDestroyersPredator
Aubin
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: APX

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:18 pm

It promotes a full disc pivot which promotes nose down... yes..
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 08, 2011 4:20 pm

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Disc-Golf-Walker-Sound-Music-Co/198705460154016

My Facebook page for disc golf. So much better to answer questions there. I can upload videos directly.

Brad
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby mshelton » Thu Sep 08, 2011 7:32 pm

Played with this a little today in between rain showers and I can definitely feel and see more results than the way I was doing the pec drills, just seems to translate better for me.

One additional thing I found was that just by doing the drill, I have found my 75-125' shot that was a mess before.

Haven't been able to transition it into a full throw yet, was pretty spaztic and needs some work, really trying to focus on a plant instead of a pivot. Going on vacation next week that's nowhere near a DG course but I plan on taking a stack of mids to practice with.
mshelton
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: The one I just lost.

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Sep 11, 2011 10:51 am

The approach shot really works better huh?
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby rooneytunes » Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:51 pm

Visualizing the closed shoulder throw makes sense to me. I can feel it. I can imagine what it looks like. I haven't drilled in the field, but have messed around with the towel drill together with this closed shoulder hit drill. I took it to the course and was getting a better feel for the hit and feeling the weight of the disc better. I felt like the distance I was getting took less effort and forced speed (strong arming). With work, this may help me get the feel of the hit down. I mainly focused on keeping my shoulders closed, bringing my arm through smoothly and hitting it in the last few inches before release then letting the momentum of my arm open my shoulders. It feels more smooth and controlled versus trying to get my arm to catch up to my opening shoulder.
Wraith-Pred-FD-Eagle-XXX-Warship-Fuse-Pure
rooneytunes
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Postby JR » Tue Sep 20, 2011 10:11 pm

What do you think of the shoulders on this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/user/sportdisc?b ... MC6OYzb3oY
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:08 am

Thanks JR, another great teaching video that I haven't seen until now. I wish there was a single thread, similar to Discraft's library, where I could go and find all one thousand links catagorized by what lesson they're trying to teach with just a few words on the jist of the link. Anyone could post a link in the thread AND IF the OP thought it was effective then they could copy the link to the correct catagory on the first page of the OP. So little time, so much to do...

Links to Specialty Throws-
Dave Greenwell talks rollers http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5joRhBOjDM

Links to Putting-
Mark Ellis The Putting Confidence Program
Scott Papa The Basics of Putting

Links to The Basics-
Bradley's vid on snap
Bradley's vid talks shoulder turn for snap
Beto's vid on x-step
The guy flicking in his room.

Links for Distance-
Discraft's "Critter" Bill basics instruction
Discraft crew at the Tobagon Course
Dion expands your distance
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Sep 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Good idea. DGCR has some links too in the FAQ was it, but everything in Youtube account mfranssila is good for seeing how the big boys can do it. Not saying that it would be the longest way for those of us that lack the power of the Jenks. Chris Woj was the guy flicking indoors. More distance now is the Discraft vid with Marty Peters giving tips and illustrating hyper spin although he never used those words and it too is at the Toboggan course and i think you meant the other vid with more team Discraft members on it. Bradley has his videos on Youtube in the account citysmasher1
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Sep 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Chris Woj, if you say so, I think you said he was a DGRer. It was how low he got and his hip turn that came to mind when you commented on my nose up throws. I'm trying to have quicker feet, more reachback, and lower my center of gravity right now. Discs are coming off flater and with more accuracy but I'm trying not to change too much as there are several tourneys I'm playing the next few weeks. I like to watch the top pros play the game like watching Rory Mcilroy drive a golf ball well over 300 yards but I get more watching the pros teach to my level or getting short cut advice like reading Jack's Golf My Way.

Regarding DGCR, its so busy over there and some of the "guys" I've read well... thats for another off-topic thread. I guess I haven't explored any of what DGCR has to offer a rookie like me. I've read a fair amount here but its enough to know that I haven't explored all DGR has to offer either.

Master, please teach me your kung fu. I'd like to start playing for money instead of more plastic I don't need. Respectfully, Grasshopper

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:59 am

If you want to look for masters go no farther than blake_t here :-) You should check out if you can get clinics from old tymers like the first generation of disc golfers and current top guns.

Chriswoj is a DGR member.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:44 am

More work on this. It's real... ContemPlating the follow up.

Btw my footwork needs lots of work. Totally had to change to get into the correct position. Static throwing is easy, run up requires a total rework. Progressing!!!
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Postby Bradley Walker » Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:55 am

JR wrote:What do you think of the shoulders on this guy?
http://www.youtube.com/user/sportdisc?b ... MC6OYzb3oY

What a great vid... I stand by my assertions..

Guys with bigger chests may have to be more closed since they need to clear more room for the path of the arm...
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

PreviousNext

Return to Technique