Tourney Rounds vs Casual Rounds

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tourney Rounds vs Casual Rounds

Postby sccaii » Mon Mar 20, 2006 12:42 pm

I've been playing this game for years and finally decided to get back into the local tourney's a bit. So far I have found there to be some issues with the mental game for me. Typically I play 1 of the 3 following ways in competitive rounds of golf.

1. Yo-yo golf.......7 or 8 birdies with 7 or 8 bogey's in the round
2. Bore-or-matic golf....... shot par or 1 or 2 over with no real opportunities for birdies
3. Fast start - fall apart...... Shot great for the first 8 holes say 4 under, then all the sudden my game slows start making a few mistakes and sink into mode 2 and finally back down to even or thereabout.

I can play casual rounds all the time and shoot anywhere from 5 to 9 under with my buddies some of which I play with in these rounds too. Most of the groups I play in are laid back easy going just for some reason I can't get past being this.

anyone have any pointers.
sccaii
Noob

Postby roadkill » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:28 pm

I'd say all three scenarios are a byproduct from losing your focus.

The biggest difference between casual rounds and tourney rounds is the pace of play. Maintaining focus throughout long tournament rounds is the biggest challenge for many. The mental aspect of the game often outweighs the physical aspect. There are many golfers who have 1000 rated physical abilities but carry 950 ratings due to a lack of focus and inability to make wise choices over a long day of tourney play.

In order to play at one's maximum potential one must train that glob of grey matter between the ears. Easier said than done.
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby TexasOutlaw » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:29 pm

I guess I'm the yo-you guy. Normally, I do well through all the holes, EXCEPT for one.... where I go dumbass and finish either even or a few over.

I don't play tournaments, but alone or with gf I will finish under with a nice score. With the competetive players, I will be over though I think they pencil whip me. The score I have in my head is normally different than what they write down. Since it's casual, I don't see a reason to write them down unless it is a long course, way 31 holes like Live Oak.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Weebl » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:31 am

When i start falling apart in tourny's, its because I'm over thinking the shot and doubting my abilities. It helps a lot if I have a buddy in my group who I can shoot the shit with and laugh all day, it keeps me loose.
Weebl
1000 Rated Poster

Postby sccaii » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:54 am

roadkill wrote:I'd say all three scenarios are a byproduct from losing your focus.

The biggest difference between casual rounds and tourney rounds is the pace of play. Maintaining focus throughout long tournament rounds is the biggest challenge for many. The mental aspect of the game often outweighs the physical aspect. There are many golfers who have 1000 rated physical abilities but carry 950 ratings due to a lack of focus and inability to make wise choices over a long day of tourney play.

In order to play at one's maximum potential one must train that glob of grey matter between the ears. Easier said than done.

Oddly enough one of my best rounds was shot wearing a mp3 player and just listening to music by myself. I tried that for a few holes this last time in a tourney and didn't see a change I just think I was more focused that day than others. I agree about it being losing focus just gotta figure out good ways to stay focus. I do find my mind wanders during tourney rounds I start thinking of other stuff I can be doing or need to do. I'm the classic overthinker.....LOL
sccaii
Noob

Postby roadkill » Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:54 pm

The music probably served several purposes for you:

-made you feel more relaxed
- reduced any mental stress that competition produces
- masked distracting noises
- prevented boredom from slow tourney play

I know the music angle works for some. I've seen several players in our region compete while wearing mp3 players or portable radios.

We all have different methods that work best for us. I often experiment with different approaches for different conditions. Here's a classic decision: In the rain do you wear your normal attire and add the umbrella or do you ditch the umbrella and wear raingear? Do you carry a zillion towels, a chamois and a towel,a birdie bag? Do you take the extra time to dry the disc completely? Do you adjust your grip in different conditions?

I know I drifted off topic, but my point is we're all individuals with different preferences and methods of madness. Music very well may work for you but not for someone else. What can be difficult when it comes to tourney play is how well deal with the other player's personal quirks. If you're quiet a non-stop talker may drive you insane. Same goes with the pace at which others play.

Okay, I'm ranting I'll stop now.

-peace
roadkill
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: first run goblin

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:06 pm

Who you play with does make a difference. With some people, I throw very well. On the contrary, I have some people that I just can't have a good game with. Sometimes, I think we just don't notice how distracting some people can be, even if we don't notice it.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby NCSUphenom » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:25 pm

I'm completely different. In casual rounds I always play ok, but when tournaments roll around i play much better. I think it's all about confidence and the ability to keep yourself entertained.

Take your time on putts. I usually out about 5 seconds after I approach my disc in casual play, but in tourneys, i visualize the flight pattern and take about 10-15 seconds before taking the putt. Real tournaments are at least 36 holes long, which means you don't have to take the risks you would in a one round tournament and save your score in the long run.

As for the mp3, it's a preference. I can't have wires attatched to me and get comfortable. But it's something to try. If you get on a birdie streak, it will end. It's just a matter of time. However, that shouldn't make you lose your focus. Start a new streak and do what you were doing. I'll bet you are not even close to the slowest person on the course. You have time.
Raleigh DG born Charlotte DG bred
NCSUphenom
Noob

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Apr 18, 2006 11:36 am

i dont use em in tourney, but I splurged and got wireless headphones for practice rounds (that and my mp3 player is too big to carry on my person while discing, but it fits nicely in my bag while I throw...
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby NCSUphenom » Wed Apr 19, 2006 12:09 am

Played in a double tourney tonight and yet again i played much better than i do in casual rounds. I hit about 5 puts outside of 35 feet and in a casual round, they don't ever fall. I think that if you're a competitive person, you find a way to shoot well in tournaments and get the disc in the basket.
Raleigh DG born Charlotte DG bred
NCSUphenom
Noob

Postby Kingbee » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:29 am

I seem to have a great start and then the wheels fall off. I was having the best round of my life a couple days ago, untill about 7 holes in. I had 3 pars and 4 birds. Then I had bogy, bogy, double bogy. Sure I was at par, not that I was screwed, but I was at 4 under. I think I finished the round at 2 over.

I notice that the first half goes great when Im in the mindset of just having fun. But my competitive nature kicks in and when I make a bad shot, my motive goes bad with it. I get pissed off on those 3 holes and decide Im going to give up. After I decide to give up, I shoot 2 birdies and an eagle in a row.

The mental part is hard.
Kingbee
Noob

Postby bigs348 » Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:52 am

I played in a tourney Saturday and I was par after 14 holes (two bogeys, two birdies) and tied for the lead in advanced...the next 2 holes were the longest and tightest on the course. I shot a 6 and a 5. The last two weren't as bad, but my confidence was shot so I went 5, 4. Shot pretty hot for 3/4 of the round, but ended up 8 over, and took 6th. It hurts. Of course, as I was struggling to stay in the 50s, Steve Brinster shot a 45...that was kind of ridiculous.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Mr. Merchant » Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:21 am

i've increased my scores by not being over agressive when competing. i'd rather take threes then go for a 2 and miss a little too far and take a bogey. if I play for 3 and focus on that the birdies will come when I park a drive. I always view my second shot as the most important.
Mr. Merchant
Noob

Postby The Euphoric Nightmare » Thu Jun 01, 2006 3:26 am

Mr Merchant wrote:I play for 3 and focus on that the birdies will come when I park a drive

AMEN to that brother! :wink:

That mentality has gotten me from the high 30's to the mid teens in the local bag tag rounds, competitive with the adv ams around here.
The Euphoric Nightmare
Tree Magnet

Return to General Discussion