Roottori's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Roottori's bag

Postby Roottori » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:25 pm

Hello guys!

I decided to show you my bag (or at least the discs, I don't have a bag yet lol) and maybe get some opinions about my discs. I started playing disc golf in June 2011, so I'm quite a newbie. My distance record is 110m but my comfortable golf distance is about 90m (I'm not sure what are these distances in feet, sorry). I throw usually RHBH, but I can throw forehands, too. And now, let's talk about plastic! :mrgreen:

My disc collection is quite small at the moment, as you can see. I have a few other discs, for example Nuke, but that's really too much disc for me, so I don't throw it and I'm trying to sell or trade it. I'm also looking for a few new discs I could add to my bag, I'll talk about them in the end of my post.

Putters:

Ion, soft, 174g
Ion, medium, 172g

Midrange:

Z Buzzz, 175g
Z Buzzz, 171g
Z Comet, 175g

Drivers:

GL River, 173g
GL River, 173g
Champion Teebird, 173g
Z Predator, 171g

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Soft Ion is my main putter. It feels perfectly soft in my hand. If it's wet, it gets little bit slippery, but as long as I keep it dry, it works wonders. I also throw midrange shots and short drives with it. Specially in the woods I prefer the soft one for drives, because it doesn't bounce as far as the medium if I hit the tree. I'll add another one just for longer shots and keep this as my main putter.
Medium Ion is just for longer throws on more open fairways, I don't really like to putt with it.

Buzzzes are my midrange discs, as you can see. These are best for straight shots, just throw it flat and it will fly flat. I also use them for slight hyzers and anhyzers.

My driver section looks quite small. I use Rivers for straight shots, anhyzers and turnovers, they are my go-to drivers at the moment.
Predator is for hyzers and when I need to go hard to the left. I also use it in midrange-range for hard hyzers. Also good for occasional hurricanes and uphead (if this is the word?) shots.

So, that's what I use at the moment. There are some kind of discs that I'm looking for and have been thinking about, let me know what you think about them!

Understable midrange: I would like to have more understable midrange disc than Buzzz. I can't really turn Buzzz over, so I need something I could use for turnovers. I would also like to have something for touch shots, where I can't use so much power than with the Buzzz. I've been thinking about GL Fuse, would it do the job?

More stable, straight partner for River? Something between River and Predator, but quite the same speed class as River. Teebird?

Distance driver: This is something I'm not so sure about. I've been thinking that I could throw Rivers and whatever could be it's partner, until I can throw them comfortably to 100m+ and then think again about distance drivers. What do you think?

And that's it, I think. Now it's your turn, go ahead! =)
Last edited by Roottori on Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
Roottori
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Roottori's bag, need some advice!

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 22, 2011 2:24 pm

Yes, GL Fuse will work great as an understable mid. May be a bit too straight right out of the box, but that's just a matter of time.

When the MVP Axis lands in Finland, you might want to give that a try, could maybe drive those Buzzzes out of your bag... =)

TeeBird is a great straight driver in the River speed category. There really aren't that much real alternatives there, mainly just Eagles and TeeBirds. TB's will be straighter, Eagles will be more workable on different lines. A Gazelle is another option, though it's a tad slower.

The River is a really long disc when thrown right, but if you insist, don't go too fast too soon. Give a Valk, Viking, CD, TD or a Roadrunner a try, preferably find someone who has them and try them out before buying.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Roottori » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:10 pm

Kiitos vastauksesta! =)

I think I'll order some Fuses and Teebirds then, sounds like they would complete my selection of discs quite well. I think my cousin owns TD and Valk, I'll try them out when I visit him next time. If they work well and give me some more distance, I'll give them a go, too.

I'll give Axis a try for sure, if I run into it somewhere. It's like Buzzz with overmold, that transfers more weight to the edges of the disc and makes it straighter if it gets enough spin, right?
Roottori
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Thu Sep 22, 2011 3:56 pm

Roottori wrote:I'll give Axis a try for sure, if I run into it somewhere. It's like Buzzz with overmold, that transfers more weight to the edges of the disc and makes it straighter if it gets enough spin, right?
Basically it should be the ultimate BuzzzCometbeatRoc, if we are to believe the hype. I'll review them on Powergrip when I get my hands on them.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Roottori » Fri Sep 23, 2011 4:37 am

Sounds like it'll be The Midrange disc then. =P Gotta try it someday.
Roottori
Noob

Postby Hyzerline49 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 8:57 am

another nice straight fairway driver is the stalker. it finishes straighter than the teebird, and is very workable. but i would recommend a teebird or TL also.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby jubuttib » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:07 am

Hyzerline49 wrote:another nice straight fairway driver is the stalker. it finishes straighter than the teebird, and is very workable. but i would recommend a teebird or TL also.
It is also shorter than just about any other fairway driver, not much longer than the Buzzz. Yes, it can be pushed far but it takes a lot more effort to do the distance a TeeBird will do.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Hyzerline49 » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:26 am

control is what the stalker is about. if i wanted to recommend him a disc that flies farther, i would've said teebird ot Tl (which i actually did). at his power level, the stalker is a great disc that doesnt have to be thrown hard to get it to actually fly like it's supposed to.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby jubuttib » Fri Sep 23, 2011 9:59 am

TeeBirds are also about control, and don't need to be thrown hard to get going.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Fri Sep 23, 2011 10:32 pm

Stalkers, Leopards and probably low fade Rivers need even less power and don't fade as hard in the end so they give you more control in finer adjustments for tight tunnel type flight lines. So these discs are even more about control than the TB for those shots. Or even better don't need any other control than throwing at the target with correct power for distance, because the fade won't take the disc too far off the target as the TB will. Yes i own a broken in DX TB. It got a 3o degree bend down in about 3" wide area in the wing after a tree hit, but came back up to shape. Among other breaking in. And still it fades more than those other discs. Wind? Glo Z Stalker fades about the same as TB and for me at least won't flip as much as TBs. Yes TBs get flipped in the gusts we have here and yes i get more wind neutral flight with other discs than TBs. Z Pred, Champ Banshee, Z Force, Spirits etc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Roottori » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:35 am

So... Teebird is a little longer than Stalker but Stalker is more stable and fades less, right? So which one would fit better to my bag? I don't really know.
Roottori
Noob

Postby slowarm » Sat Sep 24, 2011 3:39 pm

Find a 7/10 beat up Champ Teebird and get it cheap! Problem solved.
slowarm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: flat S-MD2 (beaten)

Postby JR » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:21 am

Roottori wrote:So... Teebird is a little longer than Stalker but Stalker is more stable and fades less, right? So which one would fit better to my bag? I don't really know.

Seeing that use a long mid and a long FW driver that both are straight and that the Pred is way harder fading i'd go with a Teebird in this case. And personally i like the Stalker better. This is provided that the River is straight enough for you beyond Buzzz distances. Stalker is only about 8-11m longer than the Buzzz depending on flight lines and the power/spin you generate. Stalker could fit in distance wise in between the River and the Buzzz if you have a low fade River and if it is longer than the only River i have. Which is early blue Opto that are more flipping and earlier and harder fading reportedly than the rest of the Rivers. The TB is close in distance to Rivers, but the fade is in between the River and the Pred, which is great for control.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Roottori » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:25 am

Okey, sounds like I'll go with Teebird, then. In which plastic should I get it?
Roottori
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:57 pm

You can never go wrong with a DX as a first TB.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion