Acrylic painted discs

Disc Artwork, Dying, Technique etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Acrylic painted discs

Postby Stuka » Sun Sep 25, 2011 4:58 am

Hello there. Here are some discs that I painted with acrylics instead of dyeing.
Although some minor cracks in the paint are inevitable, the paint stays on quite nicely and is durable in all kinds of weather condition. The basic idea is to spray a base coat through a template and then paint the picture on it with acrylics.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImageImage
Has anyone else tried the same technique? I would like to know if it's possible to make the paint more permanent.
-Stuka-
Last edited by Stuka on Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Stuka
Noob

Re: Acrylic painted discs

Postby Leopard » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:49 am

have you lacquered it or put a sealant on? that's the first thing i'd try. mask off a little "naked" plastic for a grip spot if you want.

i've seen a few painted discs and it's a nice form of disc decoration. in a few minutes people will get in here yelling at you that a painted disc isn't PDGA legal. they are mad because their dyes look like shit. keep up the nice work!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby mobster » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:13 am

Pretty freakin' sweet! Is the red circle on the Half Life disc part of the original hot stamp?
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby Stuka » Sun Sep 25, 2011 7:25 am

mobster wrote:Pretty freakin' sweet! Is the red circle on the Half Life disc part of the original hot stamp?

Yes it is. The same thing goes for the pyro disc I added now.
Stuka
Noob

Postby Bombmk » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:24 pm

Leopard wrote:in a few minutes people will get in here yelling at you that a painted disc isn't PDGA legal. they are mad because their dyes look like shit. keep up the nice work!

Absolutely no yelling, but its worth pointing out, in case the artist does not know this - or someone else wants to try and does not know it. Around here you could throw it all you like , but you would also be told that it looks good but your score would be null and void for any practical purposes. Be it tournament, bag tags, bragging rights or whatever.

Part of the admiration of (some) disc dyes is knowing the limitations it was produced under.
As good as they look - and the OP clearly knows which end is which on a brush - once you start painting on top of the disc and not into the disc, you might as well be painting on paper.
Bombmk
Noob

Favorite Disc: Westside Swan 2

Return to Disc Artwork