elbow pains

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

elbow pains

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:50 am

being only 16 years old, its kinda hard to think that i would have some sort of joint problem, but man my elbow has been killing me lately. i have noticed that i cant straighten out my right arm fully, so i think it is the force of a full power throw that actually makes it straighten out. does that make any sense? i have noticed that after my first few practice throws, my arm starts to get loosened up, but then later in the round, it stiffens up again. it isnt too bad, to where i cant play or it drastically affects my throw, but i would appreciate some input on some stretching or other remedies that could help rid me of this pain.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Re: elbow pains

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:57 am

Rest... take a day off young man afterall you're not 15 anymore.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Lemur » Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:45 pm

I use to have this problem when I was your age. I am nineteen now (studying physical therapy) and I played a lot of baseball in high school and that is part of why my elbow hurt. What I would recommend to you is to stop forehanding at all for like a week and ice your elbow two or three times a day for a week or so. I played on a hurt elbow, (disc golf and baseball) and I messed up my pitching abilities for the summer and my forehand, which was my distance driving preference, was gone. If it hurts during backhand, which I also had, means that you are using to much elbow while you throw and it puts stress on all those ligaments. Also during putting if you push putt then you also could be putting strain on your elbow. A way to help take the pain away from your elbow would to go for a nice run/jog. You want to get the blood moving around in your arm and to get it moving. If you play baseball then you would know after an pitcher finishes a game he will run a couple miles after the game for recovery on his elbow and shoulder. Go for a mile or two mile run every other day for a week and you should be feeling a lot better. Hopefully this pain does not keep on persisting because if it does you might want to get it checked out by your high school athletic trainer. Also, if you like to, play some basketball because that always got me moving and helped my arm feel better.
(2) Quasar, (2) QOLF, (2) QJLS, (3) Whippet-X, (2) QMS, (4 )XD <Lemur
Lemur
Noob

Favorite Disc: Whippet-X

Postby Hyzerline49 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:59 am

yeah i dont really throw sidearm too much... maybe 2 or 3 times off the tee in a round, and for controlled upshots. other than that not very much at all. its really only on a full power backhand throw, where i can feel my arm straighten after i release the disc and am following through. that's when i feel the pain. i saw the athletic trainer that i know all too well from football, and he recommended that i dont ice, but microwave some water, then dunk a washcloth in it, and keep my elbow on that and do a few stretches daily. i will let you guys know how it goes after the first day, and how my elbow feels after my next round. it may be tough to fit in a round with football and work. i have just been skippin study hall and lunch to play the past few days haha.
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Postby Lemur » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:39 am

Yeah that's good but you could also run because that is also a very good way to get the blood moving in your elbow.
(2) Quasar, (2) QOLF, (2) QJLS, (3) Whippet-X, (2) QMS, (4 )XD <Lemur
Lemur
Noob

Favorite Disc: Whippet-X

Postby bcr123psu » Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:11 am

Look up Medial Epicondylitis and see if that's the issue. If it is, it's probably because your rotator cuff, scapula, etc. aren't strong enough (as these muscles are rarely developed by most people) to decelerate your arm as you're following through and you may be hyperextending your elbow...especially if you have bad form and hold your elbow away from your body. My 2 cents from somebody that's been rehabbing this condition since April (and noticed the symptoms LAST July). If you think that's the case, go see an ortho and prepare yourself for PT.
bcr123psu
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: The one in my brakes

Postby Hyzerline49 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 8:27 pm

bcr123psu wrote:Look up Medial Epicondylitis and see if that's the issue. If it is, it's probably because your rotator cuff, scapula, etc. aren't strong enough (as these muscles are rarely developed by most people) to decelerate your arm as you're following through and you may be hyperextending your elbow...especially if you have bad form and hold your elbow away from your body. My 2 cents from somebody that's been rehabbing this condition since April (and noticed the symptoms LAST July). If you think that's the case, go see an ortho and prepare yourself for PT.

pretty sure my form is more than alright... but yeah that sounds like it could be a possible reason for the pain that i am experiencing.
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Postby Bernardo » Thu Nov 03, 2011 1:20 am

Lemur wrote:I use to have this problem when I was your age. I am nineteen now (studying physical therapy) and I played a lot of baseball in high school and that is part of why my elbow hurt. What I would recommend to you is to stop forehanding at all for like a week and ice your elbow two or three times a day for a week or so. I played on a hurt elbow, (disc golf and baseball) and I messed up my pitching abilities for the summer and my forehand, which was my distance driving preference, was gone. If it hurts during backhand, which I also had, means that you are using to much elbow while you throw and it puts stress on all those ligaments. Also during putting if you push putt then you also could be putting strain on your elbow. A way to help take the pain away from your elbow would to go for a nice run/jog. You want to get the blood moving around in your arm and to get it moving. If you play baseball then you would know after an pitcher finishes a game he will run a couple miles after the game for recovery on his elbow and shoulder. Go for a mile or two mile run every other day for a week and you should be feeling a lot better. Hopefully this pain does not keep on persisting because if it does you might want to get it checked out by your high school athletic trainer. Also, if you like to, play some basketball because that always got me moving and helped my arm feel better.

In this scenario physical therapy really helped him i just posted in a thread my friend's issue in his elbow while playing glof and physical therapy really helped him..........
Bernardo
Noob

Favorite Disc: Banceyy

Postby money 21 » Mon Nov 07, 2011 3:19 pm

i am going through the same thing right now but I am 39. I would guess you have tennis elbow. I am take 2 weeks off. Well kinda i am playing left handed for the next to weeks.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury