Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Video)

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Disc Golf Tips and Technique: Driving with Dan Beato (Vi

Postby patdabunny » Sun Sep 11, 2011 5:39 pm

Dan and Blake--

Gotta give major props to you guys continually. I had to sit out almost a year with health stuff and I came back to the exact same max D (550') after just a few rounds and throws! Your technique is absolutely spot on once you get it.

The only thing I have to add is that I tried one thing that added some acceleration to my hand late in the throw. It's actively opening your wrist from the time it passes your sternum to the hit point. It works beautifully on both mids and drivers. When my D is on, this adds at least 50-75'. It amazed my brother when I showed him up pretty badly with his own discs. Never thrown it before (esp nuke, regular) and bombed it 550' and about 200' past his best with it. He wasn't very happy about that! :lol:

I appreciate both of you putting up with my constant questions while I was learning. I'm now helping others with this technique and pointing them toward you guys. Hopefully they learn faster than I did and don't bug you guys too much! :D

Daniel
My putter doinks harder than yours!

Z Pred~E*Boss~E*TB~Roadrunner~Fuse~Buzzz~Comet~Aviar
Frank Delicious wrote:I try to psyche people out on my card. I usually do this by getting nude around the 4th hole.
patdabunny
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby Whiz » Sun Sep 11, 2011 9:22 pm

Psh, I don't believe you can throw it 550.

JK, I will see you on DGCR racer93. If I ever am coming through Louisville I would love to get in a round.
:lol:
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Triflusal » Mon Sep 12, 2011 1:00 pm

shit dude, racer93 is patdabunny

i'm glad I believed you
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:16 am

Jancy28 wrote:Hai,

I am the new one of this forum. my suggestion about the topic to play a disc golf is a relatively new online game where players throw Frisbee (disc) in the container. Overlap of the traditional rules of golf, but the sport is much more accessible and easy to understand and do. The game has increased in popularity over the past 20 years, because it is a very simple experiment, and many of the courses are free for use. Sport itself is not necessarily considered dangerous, but a number of top safety tips for golfers of DVDs that we tackle.The top of the basic standards of the practical tip is to throw the whole plate before the ball game. The technique is fairly easy to learn, and depends on the level of disc thrown in, the horizontal movement. This helps to keep the frisbee in the air and also avoid running on both sides.

Say what??
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby fanter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:40 pm

I've been spending a lot of time isolating movements so that I can get the feel for them, starting with simply shifting my weight between feet in a plant position. Then I added the hip twist, leaving everything above the hips loose. When I finally started to add a pull, I realized that I was actively opening my *forearm* and my "pull" was more of an "eject."

I know I've been strong-arming, but I don't think I've yet known (until now) exactly what that meant in my case. So I told myself to "throw my elbow" and found the passive opening force of my forearm and wrist to feel MUCH stronger than when I opened it actively.

I came back to Dan's video and realized that this was the reason I could never figure out the pec drill, because from the pec position I opened my forearm out, rather than throwing my elbow and letting the forearm (and then the wrist) sling open.

Tell me if I'm on track or not. I benefit a lot from regurgitating this information.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Feb 28, 2012 2:54 pm

If you mean that throwing the elbow is actively pushing it forward fast to get the disc around the right pec with the elbow way closer to the target than the right side when the chest points 90 degrees left of the target for RHBH you're probably on the right track. However; everything you do should add to the speed and spin of the disc. So the elbow should automatically straighten faster the more forward the elbow is (unless locked by being too far forward). But you should not rely on the passive elbow extension alone. You can accelerate with the arm muscles with conscious effort. That in turn adds even more speed and acceleration to the throw. Necessitating timing changes. And bending the wrist back even harder. Meaning you should add to the effort of not allowing the wrist to bend back more than half an inch or so. Not an easy task with pro level power. That means a good deal of tendon and forearm power/damage limiting training is required to be able to hyper spin the disc. That means not locking the wrist but allowing it to bend but only a little and then at the right time actively moving the wrist right of neutral or a quarter inch or so left of neutral to the right. Maybe about 10-15 degrees right of neutral. Then trying to stop the wrist as fast as possible and pinching like it's for your life. Not simple and you sound like you are several steps from the ideal. Can't say that i am too far ahead of you. At least in part due to lacking muscle power and nerve speed. Come to think of that arm nerve speed training couldn't hurt.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby fanter » Tue Feb 28, 2012 3:42 pm

JR wrote:If you mean that throwing the elbow is actively pushing it forward fast to get the disc around the right pec with the elbow way closer to the target than the right side when the chest points 90 degrees left of the target for RHBH you're probably on the right track.

Yes. For some reason the word "throw" makes more sense to me than "push," but I'm quite sure we're talking about the same thing.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:46 pm

Back to front motion of the elbow is what i mean. One that goes far closer to the target than the side before straightening the arm.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Indy's broken whip » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:21 am

Finally getting some progress with this, I first tried this several months ago but couldn't get anything going and quit. Now I just spent two hours in the field, and first it felt awful, the "throws" were ten meters long and then meters to the right, and it hurt my lower back every time. I realized that although I was doing the skateboard kick motion, my hips weren't turning, and I jammed my lower back when I just moved my upper body and then legs. Or something equally weird.

I then stopped using feet altogether, just pushed the disc to the upper right pec, turned my torso bit away from the target, and just threw. And it felt so effortless, I could really aim better with my elbow, didn't turn the head so much so I could really see the line, and the the results were better than my ordinary stand still throws with lousy reachback. Everything flew around 50-70 meters (my max distance is around 80 meters) straight and nose down, there didn't seem to be big difference between the discs. Usually MD2 and P1 turn almost immediately flopping around if I don't give them big hyzer
angle, but now the did small turn to right and that's it.

Some issues:

I'm keeping the disc quite high (almost shoulder height), it seems that if I keep the disc under the nipple, I throw to the ground.

I'm still slipping the disc out of the hand, if I try to grip it as hard as I can, it won't leave :) Or I spray to right. Also my timing goes of. I should probably just keep practicing of gripping later and pulling harder (still starting the torso twist before pulling, otherwise to the right we spray.)

Skateboard kick and the whole hip thing just seems so unnatural to me, I can get the feeling bit with one step, but with stand still, it's really hard to time it and shift the weight forward properly.

So there's still lots of work to do, but finally I feel that I'm onto something.
Indy's broken whip
Noob

Postby niq » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:16 am

I would try to start your pull later to fix the problems with grip lock and/or spraying right.

I'm still trying to get the hang of it too, but I have found that if I wait until the disc is passed the right pec (it feels really weird to wait this long. It feels like you've lost all your opportunity to build any momentum to launch the disc) before I start to actively accelerate/pull I can get a lot more distance (400'+)
niq
Noob

Postby douglas78 » Mon Aug 13, 2012 9:19 am

Question for Dan,

Were you out at Acorn yesterday between 1 - 3pm? Thought I saw ya and was going to say hi from the forums, but figured I would've looked like a douche. :|
douglas78
Noob

Favorite Disc: pro katana

Postby KRooster » Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:51 am

Been using these drills to teach a few friends with great success. However, having trouble adding the reachback. At what point in the process should the reachback be introduced? Before the x-step, after the x-step, or at the same time as the x-step?

Been introducing the reachback around the same time that the x-step is introduced, and it seems like that's too much new information for people to handle at one time.

EDIT: I just noticed that Blake said in this thread that for the two-step part of the drill, he prefers leading with the left foot, rather than the right foot as shown in the video. That makes sense, as that is how the last two steps of the x-step go (left foot behind the right, then right/plant foot). I suspect that using that method may make integration of the reachback easier, though I'm still not sure if that is the optimal time to introduce a reachback.
Pure/Jokeri Meteor/BuzzzSS/Buzzz/Wasp Xpress/FD/Teebird Roadrunner/OrionLS/OrionLF/PD
KRooster
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby stormseeker75 » Sun Dec 08, 2013 5:40 pm

I've read almost this entire thread and I've watched Dan's video numerous times. That said, I feel lost.

When I try to follow this technique, it feels all weird and unnatural. I'm guessing this is because I have to relearn everything I've learned incorrectly.

When I start working on the right pec drill, should I be rotating the torso? To open my hips, do I basically pivot around my right leg (RHBH) with the left leg kickout? I would sell my left ear to get some one-on-one teaching on this topic. I should add that I don't really feel like I can get my arm out very quickly from right pec. I don't know if it's just me because I'm not strong or quick enough.
stormseeker75
Noob

Favorite Disc: Hornet, Avenger SS

Postby JR » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:43 am

I recommend throwing with the the face, navel, knees and toes pointed at the left side of the tee right handbackhand first and then throwing like you would in a real throw. That is twisting the hips to the right, the shoulders farther and taking a follow through step with the left leg after the rightheel pivots on the ground. I would also test left leg on the ground at the rip vs the left leg kick.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Stringbean » Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:05 pm

stormseeker75 wrote:I've read almost this entire thread and I've watched Dan's video numerous times. That said, I feel lost.

When I try to follow this technique, it feels all weird and unnatural. I'm guessing this is because I have to relearn everything I've learned incorrectly.

When I start working on the right pec drill, should I be rotating the torso? To open my hips, do I basically pivot around my right leg (RHBH) with the left leg kickout? I would sell my left ear to get some one-on-one teaching on this topic. I should add that I don't really feel like I can get my arm out very quickly from right pec. I don't know if it's just me because I'm not strong or quick enough.

Sounds like you are muscling up too much before you get the elbow forward. You should be gliding loosely into the throw up until that point and then everything explodes in a quick, sequential motion. One thing that helped me was standing still and then I practiced shifting my weight from my rear leg to my front leg. I kept my arm loose and used that weight shift to propel my elbow forward. Try this and focus on making the disc slam into the palm of your hand (don't actually throw the disc, stop once the elbow is forward). Once you get the hang of it, try to combine that with the right pec drill and make it one smooth motion throwing motion.
Stringbean
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Panther

PreviousNext

Return to Technique