7ontheline-let me know(new distance line vid in OP)

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

7ontheline-let me know(new distance line vid in OP)

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Sep 14, 2011 8:27 am

EDIT 9-29-11: I've added a couple distance line shots. What I've learned so far:
#1 high annys are hard
#2 reachback could be longer (back isn't to target) perhaps lower to pull through on gradually increasing higher line
#3 don't try to throw every speed 11+ disc you've ever bought as only three will ever be potential max D or even in my bag
#4 What am I missing... besides better music?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0RZt1EB4J8

____________________________________________________________________________________
I apoligize in advance for the bad music. See anything I'm missing besides more practice trying to throw 500'? Not my best form as I was just getting warmed up but there's a few that I'd take.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6-yL1aaKlRI
Last edited by 7ontheline on Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Re: 7ontheline- would you let me know

Postby MDP » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:10 am

Reach back could definitely be longer-turning your back towards the target. Sometimes you rush your upper body and end up throwing a bit right.

I couldn't tell if this was just the angle of the camera, but a number of the throws looked nose-up.
Last edited by MDP on Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 10:21 am

It would be great if you could throw 500' with so little reach back. FH and BH throws both airbounced so the nose must be up. I would try two things with the wrist. The first version has stiff muscles and less wrist motion, because you push the wrist down hard before you start the throw. The second version has the wrist at neutral a little after the elbow begins the chop. And only then you push the wrist down. The timing needs to be changed to see, which version gives you best D now. It may change over time so you need to do annual retests. The later you can push the wrist down in version 2 the faster the arm shall move and the harder the wrist snap portion. Provided you are able to resist the bending back of the wrist from the elbow chop.

I can't say much about your leg work without seeing them. You seem to know some issues so there's plenty to change.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Wed Sep 14, 2011 7:04 pm

The old jr. league baseball field is just about the only level ground at Overton Park, the grass isn't as tall there so I get better traction for my run up, but the park slants downhill right after the infield ends towards the distant trees. I was fairly happy, except for the yank left, with the 5/10 KC Pro Whippet flick (1st whippet shot), except for the yank left, for reference it wasn't any higher than my head the entire flight. The beat silly Pro Wraith flick was about the same height but they look like bigger fades because there's maybe another 5-8' additional drop at those distances from the plane I'm starting from. Anyway, I'm certain I do have some nose up issues steming from my Ultimate background. Those lids turnover like crazy on distance lines if you don't put them on an extreme hyzer. I've only been getting the high anny max d shot in the last month after starting my DG addiction last October... old habits are hard to break but the Katana flip ups aren't good enough for my consistancy goals.

I do struggle with early and late release... I'll read this all again and go back to the field for some more fun. Thanks all.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Wed Sep 14, 2011 9:21 pm

Early release=grippy plastic and pinching the disc earlier and harder and maybe hitting some finger strength exercises and maybe squeezing harder with base of the palm on drives. Late release=Don't start the arm pull before the final step has landed and don't yank hard, allow the body to bring the disc to the left pec area and increase the arm power in an acceleration not in a muscle bulging weight lifting manner. Also bringing the disc close to the body should help.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Sep 15, 2011 9:48 pm

I'm still tring to yank it over and I think I understand what you're saying about my wrist pushing down. I guess my thought was that the outside edge of the disc needed to be higher so that it would be on a plain that bends to the right. After watching myself the disk is pretty far away from my chest so I just tried a few right pec drills again to get that closer feeling. I can't get that close feeling without reaching back further so I'm guessing the added snap will turn the disc over naturally so I don't have to overcompensate by moving my shoulders and upper body on such an exagerated anny line. I've been playing DG everyday for the last week and I'm feeling a little beat up. Here's my furthest throw today... a few steps short of 500'.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2K1QPSDqrQ

Thanks to all.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Re: 7ontheline- reaching back

Postby 7ontheline » Fri Sep 16, 2011 3:01 pm

More field work today. I'm a little weak as I've been sick and lost 15 pounds in the last three weeks. I hope a can keep it off as I'm playing in the southern regional masters ulitmate tournament in three weeks. I should have rested instead of going to Overton Park as today's results weren't very good. Almost a year into DG and I'm finally trying to reachback... such a noob. At soon to be 45, I recognize that I can't just rely on 6'4" leverage anymore.

What you're not seeing is the 60 teebird throws before this 10. I'll upload the 10 same 'birds thrown from the side view later. Dropping 30' distance on the birds in my Sig. :(
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KhXPmTA9Cw

I couldn't avoid hucking a few Max D. I had 6 shots with my orc, sword and nuke. Here's my longest throw today... This reachback thing cut the side to side movement needed for my Z Nuke in half. Also, the extra spin helped stablize my Tournament Sword 425-450' on all six throws and the most consistant of all disc thrown today by far. It might be that I'm thinking 85-90% power with the Sword... but were's the fun in that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5x18Xj6Xgk

EDIT: SIDE VIEW ADDED
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zCLjW0xmdGE

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sat Sep 17, 2011 5:42 pm

Considering your speed of x steps without a run up 490' is great! I get TBs to 250-360' at best and Nukes to 400-415'.

You are too flat footed and you'll be wearing more leg braces in addition to the knee if that does not change fast. After you've cured that you should add speed to the steps and experimenting with a few run up steps. You have a little more ways to reach back farther for even more D. The feet could point farther back in the x step and the plant step so you could reach back farther.

At least one throw had you throw 20 degrees to the right of the line you were running on. While it is true that you can add distance that way especially if you run in an arc and pivot in the x step and the plant step it is hardly the most accurate and consistent golf throw.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Re: 7ontheline-let me know(new distance line vid in OP)

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Sep 29, 2011 9:33 pm

Short vid of Z Nukes anny distance line added to OP. First around 450' second around 475'. Help a brotha out, will ya?

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Postby JR » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:30 am

Yeah you need more reach back and planting the final step with the foot facing farther back helps in that. Your arm does rise from the reach back to the rip already. You do need to find the perfect apex height for the discs you throw at full power. Some more could possibly help. You make those distances look so easy, because you don't seem to throw that hard.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Hyzerline49 » Tue Oct 04, 2011 7:43 pm

That's why I don't think he's quite throwing 490.... Can't see the disc so don't quote me on it, but 7 I don't quite think that your form suggests you are actually throwing that far. Your reachback is too short, and you aren't shifting your weight from back to front as you pull the disc through your chest. You definitely have the power though. I'm also a taller disc golfer at 6' 6". Just work on your reach back and run up and you will be golden.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby 7ontheline » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:05 pm

Hyzerline49 wrote:That's why I don't think he's quite throwing 490.... Can't see the disc so don't quote me on it, but 7 I don't quite think that your form suggests you are actually throwing that far. Your reachback is too short, and you aren't shifting your weight from back to front as you pull the disc through your chest. You definitely have the power though. I'm also a taller disc golfer at 6' 6". Just work on your reach back and run up and you will be golden.

My goodness Hyzerline, 6'6" and only 16 years old. I think I know why you're currently having elbow pains... you're growing so fast. Anyway, I'm pretty good at pacing distance. I recently worked for a year and half drawing graphs with a measuring wheel. When I was young I played a lot of sports including including ball golf, where knowing your distance is critical given the distances are some three times longer than DG. I lettered in High School golf my junior and senior year and played several times a week until I was 24 then I played Ultimate frisbee almost full time. We'd average 15-20 tourneys a year and I could throw the 175 Ultastar lid out both endzones (95 yds) on a calm wind day, was the go to guy to pull the kickoff, so don't confuse my smooth release with lack of snap (I'm not only 6'4" but also 195 lbs and have a 79" reach). When my knees and ankles had about enough running I started playing ball golf again full bore about 5 years ago. I was eaten up with golf and practiced 3 or 4 times a week and played a round on the weekend with my buddies. About a year ago, my Ultimate bud said let's go play some disc golf.

I write all that to say that I've learned how to take a deliberate stride that's three foot long... I've been striding it out for years with the laser range finders, gps, and the golf course yardage markers all agreeing to within a few feet over a hundred yards and that this masters age DGer ain't a complete noob when it comes to throwing far. I just watched my recent distance line 2 shots vid and took that starting point and my recollection of where my 475' estimate landed. When I paced it off down and back that day I was within a step or so. It was downhill so 475' wasn't what I whould have gotten on level ground but I did have one day when I threw my Z Nuke 550' and shortly thereafter 510'. It might not look like it but I feel a lot different in that vid from my previous form. By no means are all my shots good, and honestly my consistancy has decreased when pulling hard but when I'm on the course I'm much more concerned about keeping it smooth, down the middle, and with more reachback than before instead of the full out snap I'm trying to throw high here.

Here's the google earth coordinates; start 35 08 52.59N by 89 59 36.46W end 35 08 56.14N by 89 59 32.65W. My current goal is 450' with control then think about getting longer. Per JR's advice, I've picked up an ESP Nuke that I've only thrown a few times and just today traded online for three more Z Nukes that should be here in the next few days. I know, I know... I'd get more out of my golf game practicing with my putters and mids but throwing far is fun. Here's a known distance that was my best rip ever on a recent Z Nuke uphiller at Shelby Farms DG Course that was just touching a concrete pad... start 35 08 31.80N by 89 50 06.58W end 35 08 36.10N by 89 50 06.84W. One last brag, here's a low golf line with my Sword. The basket wasn't in the long when I threw off the #18 tee but Shelby Forest West doesn't have any long shots so I took this one from under the overhanging trees in front of the tee pad just for fun and parked the long last week; start 35 19 13.06N by 90 03 20.89W end 35 19 12.82N by 90 03 15.79W.

Download google earth then try this link. Its cool as it gives the distance in km and also shows the line on Google Earth. Then find a km to ft calculator. Thanks for everyone's help, more practice required.

http://www.movable-type.co.uk/scripts/latlong.html

Have fun, throw far, and most importantly... teach your children well.

7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Return to Video Critique