Stitching the Sleeve Drill

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Stitching the Sleeve Drill

Postby jenb » Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:16 pm

I find that opening the wrist through the power zone around the left shoulder is far from intuitive, and I had to develop a drill to practice the motion and develp muscle memory. The drill basically involves pretending to stitch a ripped sleeze back on at the shoulder, and pointing the tip of the needle at the target as I pull the thread through. Does that resonate with anyone? Alternatively, does it reveal a misconception on my part? I'm finding I'm starting to hit out over 300 for the first time. :-) Not much over 300, but it's something.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Re: Stitching the Sleeve Drill

Postby JR » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:51 am

Which sleeve are you stitching with the jacket on yourself? Right with the needle in the right hand? Blake means the same thing, when he wrote to keep the thumbnail pointed back as long as you can. I'll amend that with leaving the elbow short of that so that the elbow doesn't lock bent, because that can injure you bad.

What do you mean by opening the wrist at the left shoulder? That does not sound good to me. You should keep the wrist neutral until the right pec position and resist the bending back of the wrist from the elbow chop.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jenb » Sun Oct 02, 2011 6:01 am

I'm basically implementing this: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/sh ... post997345

I think what I'm doing is learning how to prevent the disc from curling in towards me during the elbow chop and get a better disc pivot.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby JR » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:42 pm

Yup those are good goals. i think the way Blake worded it is simpler for most people to understand it. By the way the picture of Paul in that thread could still push the elbow further toward the target before straightening the elbow. I'm really struggling with the active wrist extension part. I think i need to develop those muscles into stronger ones and practice timing of the active extension. As if i didn't need to learn the steely stop to the wrist too. In conceptual level i have no problems with it -it's just basic Newtonian physics. I just can't stop my wrist as well as i hope to be able to. My pinch is lacking and i think i must rest my index finger over the winter to let it heal so that i don't unconsciously loosen up the pinch to avoid injury. So it's an uphill battle for me, but the winter allows muscle strength training so i may be better equipped there come next summer.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Technique