Girls throwing, and Ashley rambles about sidearms

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Girls throwing, and Ashley rambles about sidearms

Postby ashley » Wed Sep 14, 2011 2:47 pm

Good to hear. The leopard is my favorite of the two, but I have a good friend that swears by the cheetah. I think the 160's will be better for her in the wind. Let me know how it goes.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby money 21 » Wed Sep 14, 2011 6:25 pm

Crosseyed0811 wrote:I have 2 Leo's at 162 ordered, they didnt have cheetah's lower than 165. I KNOW she likes the Leo grip and such and the weight seems a little more important to me on two molds this close, so I'll go with these first and make the change if needed.

Glad you found your TL! And thanks again for all your help. No worries though, I'll be back for more ;)

my wife struggles with distance as well some discs my wife is having success with right now are the 15o class surge. the stability is .5 compared to the 1.7 of the z, the maximizer (really really flat flippy mid) and a classic roc. she can get the surge out about 220' and the maximizer a bout 190' .
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby ashley » Wed Sep 21, 2011 12:37 am

I think that even at a 150 a surge might be too overstable. I would think a roadrunner or sidewinder might be more appropriate. When I started throwing I was using 162 orcs, but due to their overstability for my armspeed, I picked up a really bad habit. I used to roll my wrist to anny it and throw a nice s shot. It worked beautifully for me and I got a lot of distance with it, but when I went to lower elevation my game suffered horribly from it. I played in Vegas and So Cal and throwing that way at lower elevation they just weren't coming back. It took until I went to Tulsa and realized I would have to change my throw if I was going to compete.

I am still working on my throw. I can still throw that way and know enough to be able to turn it on or off, so to speak, but it took me a long time to get to this point. I still will occasionally do it when I am trying too hard. That's why I like to keep the 150 valk in my bag, because I know it won't hold a line if I try that with it.

If you aren't getting over 275 in distance, I don't think you should be trying to throw anything over a power requirement of 3, otherwise I think it hurts you in the long run. I think that discing down has done more for my game than anything else.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 10:32 am

the 150 surges have very different stability (about the same as a road runner). they are less stable then a valk.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ashley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:55 am

Hmm, that's good to know. I am glad it is working out for your wife. Is it a surge ss? or a regular surge?
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby djbme83 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 3:37 pm

ashley wrote:How about you pick me up a pink star tl then, 162-164 would be awesome. I got my second ace with a star tl back in 2006, after owning the disc for about 4 months, and I was so sad. Sometimes I think about unretiring it, but I know I'd be mad at myself if I lost it.

discgolfcenter.com has 3 pink TL's in 164 in stock. look up TL then click the number 3 under the "unique" column
djbme83
Noob

Favorite Disc: Star Leopard

Postby ashley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:02 pm

djbme83 wrote:
ashley wrote:How about you pick me up a pink star tl then, 162-164 would be awesome. I got my second ace with a star tl back in 2006, after owning the disc for about 4 months, and I was so sad. Sometimes I think about unretiring it, but I know I'd be mad at myself if I lost it.

discgolfcenter.com has 3 pink TL's in 164 in stock. look up TL then click the number 3 under the "unique" column

SO glad I held off on ordering the 162 I actually had it in my cart and cancelled it. AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:03 pm

ashley wrote:Hmm, that's good to know. I am glad it is working out for your wife. Is it a surge ss? or a regular surge?

it is call the surge 150 class in x plastic.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ashley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:14 pm

Maybe I will pick one up for fun just to see how they throw, disc golf center has them all the way down to 142 in weights.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Mon Sep 26, 2011 4:32 pm

Ordered 2 pink tl's and an orange 145 surge just for fun. Will let you know how it throws for me.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:45 pm

Just got the surge and tl's. I am going to go to the field and do some throwing. Will report back. I really like the color of the surge, nice bright easy to find. I also found a 166 sidewinder that I am going to throw, and a 170 champ leopard. No, I don't have a disc buying problem, no.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Tue Oct 04, 2011 4:21 pm

money 21 wrote:the 150 surges have very different stability (about the same as a road runner). they are less stable then a valk.

Threw the 145 surge for the first time today. I can see what you mean by this statement. I think that it was more stable than my 150 valk, but it is definitely in that same category. I was amazed by how little I could put behind it, and how much glide I could get out of it. Looking forward to throwing it more.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby money 21 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:09 pm

i have a red on that i throw in the bag now and then on windy day for tail wind shot it glide for miles.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby ashley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:55 pm

djbme83 wrote:

Ok, I think it's completely random that this was the only post so far by this guy. But I wanted to report back that I am throwing my Pink 164 TL on probably half of my drives these days. I also got a sweet dye done on the second one, and it is starting to break in a little.

My sidearm is slowly continuing to improve also, although it is still ugly. I am going to continue to work on it though. I feel pretty confident throwing my rhyno sidearm 100' and in when the shot dictates, and have started to throw a driver from time to time as a get out of trouble shot.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Postby ashley » Wed Mar 14, 2012 11:22 pm

I also wanted to add that I have put a 150 teebird into the bag. A disc I would strongly recommend for girls starting out. I still have the 163 teebird in the bag as well, but I can easily get 50 more feet with the 150 teebird. That baby just glides forever, but it still flies a lot like my other teebird.
ashley
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion