Ye olde jump putt

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Ye olde jump putt

Postby veganray » Wed Oct 05, 2011 12:52 pm

Saw this pic on FB of top female pro Sarah Hokom. 100% stance violation. How does the "nobody would ever release their jump put after taking off because all the power from jumping is generated during the acceleration; once you're off the ground you are decelerating; the quarter inch closer you get to the basket (sic - it actually looks like she's at least a foot closer) will not make up for the loss of power and control you get being in contact with the ground when you release" crowd react to this?
Last edited by veganray on Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Re: Ye olde jump putt

Postby warobert » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:36 pm

Stroke her
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby veganray » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:39 pm

warobert wrote:Stroking myself

FTFY
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:47 pm

A. Are you sure those two discs on the ground are her lie?
B. Is that disc even still in her hand in that image??
C. (Assuming A is true) She's gained what? ...2 inches max forward? Is that really such an advantage?

Whatever, stroke her. (or yourself)
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby Apothecary » Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:59 pm

OVER THE LINE@!!!

Though without photo proof on hand at time of the call i doubt youd get a second.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby veganray » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:03 pm

I'm less concerned about the actual instance than with debunking the ridiculous school of thought: "nobody would ever release their jump put after taking off because all the power from jumping is generated during the acceleration / once you're off the ground you are decelerating / the foot closer you get to the basket will not make up for the loss of power and control you get being in contact with the ground when you release".

Here's the #5 rated player in the world doing exactly what some clever pundits claim NOBODY could ever gain an advantage by doing. Are they wrong, or is she hosing herself? (Pics, please, if the latter!)

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby Leopard » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:15 pm

Jump putters suck at rules.

This coming from a very legal walk-through putter.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Jeronimo » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:09 pm

To answer Vegan: Maybe she blundered and her timing was off in the jump? It's happend to me before. My legs, torso and arms don't communicate and I look like a flailing rag doll with a disc in my hand as I "jump"... I wouldn't call this conclusive evidence against the argument. If it were video it would probably be a much easier matter to discuss.

Personally, I don't care because I'd rather see the rule say "the disc must leave your hand before your next body part touches the ground ahead of your lie on ANY throw." I really couldn't care less if we saw some MJ style dunk putts as a result of this either.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby JR » Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:58 am

I'm also debunking this claim based on personally failing the same way, when i was tired and couldn't punch the arm forward as fast as i thought i could. I was certainly airborne with the disc in my hand. I have been given a warning for doing that. At the Finnish Open 2010 dubs i practiced timing of jump putting in front of lcgm8 with whom i played and him if my jump putts were legal. Because i know this problem surfaces, when i'm tired and we were tired before we arrived at the course.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:56 am

That pic doesn't look too different from the video JR recently posted of Feldy's putt on hole #8 of the EO 2011 Rd. 2 part 2 at the 4:49 mark. Also watch Paul McBeth at 5:05 8)

http://www.youtube.com/user/lcgm8#p/u/0/yKyr7AJqTao

I agree with VR's point of power while pushing off. I don't see any baseball pitchers that don't push off the rubber, football QBs throw further pushing off their back foot while striding forward, and most basketball players are better shooting a free throw from a set shot or shooting a set shot vs. a jumpshot (unless its from further out and reqires more power but in my experience still in contact with the ground at time of release).

Sarah Hokom could just be a poser ...in that pic. I think the angle is bad and she's already released the disc with a lot of touch spin plus her follow through is forward due to her jump. She'd call a stroke on herself if she hadn't done it correctly, right?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Dogma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:58 am

Obviously she just didn't throw it very hard and her body caught up with the disc in the air. Happens to me all the time. I get to the basket before my disc does on probably 60% of my putts.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:09 pm

jab connects squarely on the chin as clearly i'm the poser

cheat to win much?
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby Dogma » Thu Oct 06, 2011 3:18 pm

:wink:
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby Bombmk » Mon Oct 10, 2011 3:57 am

I would think that it is more or less impossible to release before you lose contact with the ground on a jump putt. Or pretty damn hard and detrimental to the point of doing it.
You would have to extend your arm and finish the throwing motion and THEN come through with the jump. I am not an expert on kinetics and/or human physiology - but that seems to me it would lead to an extremely messed up movement of the body.

To me its like dropping one end of a slinky and then let go of the other end at the moment the slinky extends completely. The front end will lose its momentum until the back end catches up. Weird movement for the human body.
Bombmk
Noob

Favorite Disc: Westside Swan 2

Postby JHern » Tue Oct 11, 2011 1:57 pm

I could ask her, if you guys wanted to hear from her directly...

Anyways, she is damn good at jump putting. I've seen her nail some real hair-raisers, such as running the basket from 70 ft uphill with a 500 ft cliff behind...bam, in the chains!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Next

Return to Rules Discussion