Axis of Evil

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby jubuttib » Mon Oct 03, 2011 1:09 pm

Again, exactly why the C-MD2 stays in.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby Fightingthetide » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:28 am

jubuttib wrote:Again, exactly why the C-MD2 stays in.


You have officially made me regret selling my MD2's.


To all:

So if the Axis isn't good in the wind, what other neutral or slightly stable mid are you throwing to get a straight point-and-shoot flight that can also take a little wind? Is the Buzzz a good partner? I know the MD2 is. Any other options?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby JR » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:51 am

Fightingthetide wrote:
jubuttib wrote:Again, exactly why the C-MD2 stays in.


You have officially made me regret selling my MD2's.


To all:

So if the Axis isn't good in the wind, what other neutral or slightly stable mid are you throwing to get a straight point-and-shoot flight that can also take a little wind? Is the Buzzz a good partner? I know the MD2 is. Any other options?


Actually i use the Z Buzzz for that straight duty and Glo Z Buzzz if needed in the wind or going up to the Gator.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia
User avatar
 
Posts: 11238
Joined: Sun Mar 18, 2007 6:07 am
Location: Finland, sea level
Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby InvaderMirO » Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:26 am

JR wrote:Actually i use the Z Buzzz for that straight duty and Glo Z Buzzz if needed in the wind or going up to the Gator.


This.

Buzzz and Gator are both great for straight shots depending on the wind. it can get windy here in iowa especially with a lot of the courses having holes in open areas with nothing to block it.
i have been working with the vector instead of the buzzz lately which also does well in the wind if released with hyzer.
on really windy days or when whenever i get second thoughts after feeling a gust or two at the teepad i will use the gator. its distance is weak compared to vector/buzz but if its windy enough to set those discs aside, im usually more worried about accuracy than distance.
Ion . Anode
Hornet . Vector . Axis . Fuse
Trident . PD . River . Beast
SurgeSS . Flow . Katana
InvaderMirO
Noob
User avatar
 
Posts: 74
Joined: Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:12 pm
Location: Des Moines, IA
Favorite Disc: (beat) Star Beast

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby Fightingthetide » Thu Oct 06, 2011 4:43 pm

Axis = suuuper straight money touch shots. It parked a shot from the fairway that I have never parked before (100' shot through a tunnel and over a set of trees that are 10' high, all while going up a hill that is 30' high), hit gaps I have trouble hitting (uphill and downhill), and dropped my score by a few strokes today and I shot a 961 rated round.

I wish I got this disc the day it came out. No time for a long review...and I don't feel like saying what others have already said. This disc literally holds the line you put it on, all the way to the ground - more-so than any other disc I have ever thrown.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster
 
Posts: 1077
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 7:42 pm
Location: Charlotte, NC

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 07, 2011 10:55 am

@cmrichar: What happened between accepting the Axis and the actual production runs? It's approved with a diameter of 21.8cm, same as the Comet, but they're definitely several millimeters smaller than any of my Z or ESP Comets.
Image
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby juju » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:05 am

What kind of Finnish beverages you got stacked there?
juju
Fairway Surgeon
 
Posts: 768
Joined: Fri Aug 21, 2009 4:15 pm
Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:06 am

juju wrote:What kind of Finnish beverages you got stacked there?
Cheap, but drinkable beer.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:15 am

jubuttib wrote:@cmrichar: What happened between accepting the Axis and the actual production runs? It's approved with a diameter of 21.8cm, same as the Comet, but they're definitely several millimeters smaller than any of my Z or ESP Comets.



You've got to kind of wonder what's going on with a lot of recent measurements (ie. Sword's rim width). It will be great when the PDGA has the resources to actually send someone to measure the MOLDs rather than measuring prototype discs. The specs will never be correct with the current system as plastic is too variable, which basically makes the numbers meaningless as protos/first runs are rarely very representative of what the disc ends up being plastic-wise. Hopefully Chuck Kennedy is reading because I'd like to know his thoughts on this subject. What if the PDGA required companies to send a production disc to get remeasured after approval? At least this would be better data than a prototype. Or maybe some of our friends here with calipers could provide some independent measurements that could factor in to the tech specs somehow. I just would like to see better data.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:22 am

discspeed wrote:You've got to kind of wonder what's going on with a lot of recent measurements (ie. Sword's rim width). It will be great when the PDGA has the resources to actually send someone to measure the MOLDs rather than measuring prototype discs. The specs will never be correct with the current system as plastic is too variable, which basically makes the numbers meaningless as protos/first runs are rarely very representative of what the disc ends up being plastic-wise.
I get your point but still, that difference is HUGE. One thing I did notice though, is that the Vector is 21.7cm, and indeed looks to be a bit (a millimeter or so, like it should be) smaller diameter than the Axis. I compared it to a DX Roc (also 21.7cm), and it's a bit bigger in diameter, but I'd expect a premium plastic Roc to be more or less equal. All of this suggests that it's the Comets that are way too big for the size given in the specs.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:29 am

jubuttib wrote:All of this suggests that it's the Comets that are way too big for the size given in the specs.


I think this is the true culprit. Older Discraft plastic used to shrink a lot more...I remember throwing older Comets and they definitely felt smaller than the newer ones. Even X Comets are noticeably smaller than Z Comets.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)
User avatar
 
Posts: 5457
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:02 am
Location: Clearwater, FL
Favorite Disc: Ion

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 07, 2011 11:46 am

Dammit, now I want a real Comet diameter Axis! It'd probably be even more gyroscopic and it'd definitely glide even better.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby turso » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:42 pm

Interesting. I've always thought comet as a 22cm+ disc, and judging by the pictures it is.

Took a measure of a max weight Z-comet, a fraction over 221mm, this year's max weight ESP matches that exactly. My X is 218mm, but that's most likely just because it's pretty beat and bent because of that.

I wouldn't put it past that PDGA has just failed the measuring, since the ESP and Z are the exact same size, and I suspect the X would be as well if not for the tacoing.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.


NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Finland, Kuopio
Favorite Disc: My first putter

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:01 pm

turso wrote:I wouldn't put it past that PDGA has just failed the measuring, since the ESP and Z are the exact same size, and I suspect the X would be as well if not for the tacoing.
It was measured in 95 though, they didn't have premium blends then and the baselines were different.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word
User avatar
 
Posts: 5415
Joined: Tue Jan 12, 2010 4:30 pm
Location: Finland
Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby turso » Fri Oct 07, 2011 6:13 pm

Yeah, and I think we might be out of luck regarding baseline comets from that era. They sure seem to be 221mm nowadays.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.


NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions
User avatar
 
Posts: 1211
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 3:45 pm
Location: Finland, Kuopio
Favorite Disc: My first putter

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 8 guests