Monocacy’s bag: forehand now included!

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Monocacy’s bag: forehand now included!

Postby Monocacy » Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:58 pm

keltik wrote:I think you may like the QOLF in 150. Marmoset used to rock those in his all 150 back.

I had not thought of the QOLF (and Marmoset throws a lot farther than I do, unfortunately). I threw a 150 MOLF several years ago, and I could not get it up to speed. Is the QOLF easier to throw than a P PD? Looks like Disc Golf Center has 1.1 QOLFs, 1.2 SOLFs, and 1.2 MOLFs around 150 - are any of those more likely to work for my low-powered throws?

keltik wrote:you may also try the QJLS in 150. Its flight is very similar to our old friend the XL.

QJLS is an interesting suggestion - I have considered testing them several times. The MJLS and SJLS flew similarly to my Valks, but with slightly less distance and reliability. Would the Q JLS complement a Valk - Teebird - Diamond lineup?

keltik wrote:ESP plastic does hold up well but I don't know how much so in 150 class. what are you looking for this moderately OS driver to do?

I am looking for something a little more stable than the Valks to make certain lines easier to hit. I can do sweeping hyzers and straight to fade shots with the Valk, but I have to be very precise. I am also looking for a disc that is easier to throw for decent distance into a headwind. Star Valks and fresh DX Teebirds work, but again the margin for error is small. Star or Champ Teebirds are reliable, but shorter.

Thank you for your suggestions.
Krait - Tern | Jackal - River - Resistor | Truth - Fuse - Zone | Clutch
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Hyzerline49 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:15 pm

for shots slightly more stable than the valk, try an Sl or a viking
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby keltik » Sat Oct 08, 2011 7:23 pm

I just remembered the XS. or you could try the Eagle L or TL. I think you have plenty of options.

the OLF and PD are related. I think that the OLF requires more power. I fell in love with the Avenger too hard to ever really give the OLF and the PD a true second chance.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sun Oct 09, 2011 4:14 am

I think the reasoning against throwing the 150 PD is warped. It is your form that needs correction and it is not the fault of the disc. There is plenty to be said for a disc, that has wind tolerance and OAT tolerance. Even after you've rectified the cause of the OAT, which ain't the disc. The disc has your back up to a limit. And that is great in rounds. In rectifying OAT brutally difficult discs are great, because it won't hit your score in a negative way, when you practice your form to perfection with discs that punish immediately each time for the slightest faults. During rounds you need to throw equally cleanly each time, but having a disc that has a lot of protection against varying environmental nasties like wind gusts is gonna show at least in the long run. Nobody is perfect so having some protection against user error is A ok.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:50 am

Hyzerline49 wrote:for shots slightly more stable than the valk, try an Sl or a viking

I will probably try a Viking, thanks. SL sounds good, but unfortunately not available at my weight.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:51 am

keltik wrote:the OLF and PD are related. I think that the OLF requires more power. I fell in love with the Avenger too hard to ever really give the OLF and the PD a true second chance.

Thanks for the feedback on OLF vs. PD power requirements. Avenger has a similar power requirement, yes?
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Sun Oct 09, 2011 7:56 am

JR wrote:I think the reasoning against throwing the 150 PD is warped. It is your form that needs correction and it is not the fault of the disc. There is plenty to be said for a disc, that has wind tolerance and OAT tolerance. Even after you've rectified the cause of the OAT, which ain't the disc. The disc has your back up to a limit. And that is great in rounds. In rectifying OAT brutally difficult discs are great, because it won't hit your score in a negative way, when you practice your form to perfection with discs that punish immediately each time for the slightest faults. During rounds you need to throw equally cleanly each time, but having a disc that has a lot of protection against varying environmental nasties like wind gusts is gonna show at least in the long run. Nobody is perfect so having some protection against user error is A ok.

Perhaps I did not express myself well. At present, I cannot get the PD up to speed without OAT. Normally my throw is pretty clean, but after playing some long courses and adding a PD to the bag, I was over-throwing and my form had deteriorated. I like the PD - it seems to complement the Valks nicely - but I do not (yet?) have the technique to throw it well.

BTW, a little field work with putters yesterday seems to have cleaned up my OAT problem, so I am back to throwing clean and short. :roll:

Sounds like a 150 Champ Viking is the best option for a more-stable Valk. Viking is JFC power level 4, so it should be within my power range. If I ever learn to throw farther, I will revisit the other excellent suggestions here.

Maybe I'll order a couple of Q JLSs, too. Is there any difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 versions?

Thanks to all for taking the time to offer your assistance.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby biscgolf » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:16 am

still rocking the slick putter?
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:53 am

I think all three are "power 5" discs according to blake's chart. but the 150 class models should scale that back to a 4.

ooh what about the CD?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Sun Oct 09, 2011 12:43 pm

Monocacy wrote:
JR wrote:I think the reasoning against throwing the 150 PD is warped. It is your form that needs correction and it is not the fault of the disc. There is plenty to be said for a disc, that has wind tolerance and OAT tolerance. Even after you've rectified the cause of the OAT, which ain't the disc. The disc has your back up to a limit. And that is great in rounds. In rectifying OAT brutally difficult discs are great, because it won't hit your score in a negative way, when you practice your form to perfection with discs that punish immediately each time for the slightest faults. During rounds you need to throw equally cleanly each time, but having a disc that has a lot of protection against varying environmental nasties like wind gusts is gonna show at least in the long run. Nobody is perfect so having some protection against user error is A ok.

Perhaps I did not express myself well. At present, I cannot get the PD up to speed without OAT. Normally my throw is pretty clean, but after playing some long courses and adding a PD to the bag, I was over-throwing and my form had deteriorated. I like the PD - it seems to complement the Valks nicely - but I do not (yet?) have the technique to throw it well.

BTW, a little field work with putters yesterday seems to have cleaned up my OAT problem, so I am back to throwing clean and short. :roll:

Sounds like a 150 Champ Viking is the best option for a more-stable Valk. Viking is JFC power level 4, so it should be within my power range. If I ever learn to throw farther, I will revisit the other excellent suggestions here.

Maybe I'll order a couple of Q JLSs, too. Is there any difference between the 1.6 and 1.8 versions?

Thanks to all for taking the time to offer your assistance.

Yeah PD doesn't glide that much and likes a lot of power for long distances. There are many discs that will fly farther with the same power. I have not thrown QOLFs, but from what i've heard, they are also power hungry, not the glidiest and not the fastest disc. That would probably be ok in the not so fast department, but it also won't be the longest disc out there most likely. Viking probably fades out early vs Valk. So that would be similar to the PDs and the QOLF in that respect.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Monocacy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:32 am

biscgolf wrote:still rocking the slick putter?

:lol: Yep - we will see how it does this winter. By the way - your damn course kicked my ass. I am compelled to do better next time.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:35 am

keltik wrote:ooh what about the CD?

Ooh, great idea! After a little searching I found some 150 S CDs online and can't wait to throw them. I used to throw CDs in my "heavy" bag, and could occasionally get them out to 300' sidearm before I effed up my shoulder. Great idea!

JR: thanks for the disc evaluations. Sounds like the faster discs won't do anything that I can't do more comfortably with a range of Teebirds.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Monocacy » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:18 pm

The 150 S CDs arrived, and after 36 holes at Seneca Creek they seem to be just what I am looking for. Champ Valk to Star Valk to S CD covers the distance spectrum nicely in three equal jumps. The S CD handled 10-15 mph headwinds with no problems, but still flew almost as far as the Star Valk.

So far, so good. Thanks for the CD suggestion, keltik!

In other news, I have started pushing a few drives past 300'. Using a closed stance and a right-to-left run-up, pushing off with my back leg to get weight forward, and concentrating on late acceleration seems to be working, at least occasionally. It just started to click today, so I look forward to locking in this improvement before DST ends.

The best part is that accelerating later feels effortless, and puts way less wear and tear on my beat-up shoulder.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Re: Monocacy’s bag: Back to backhand (mostly)

Postby Monocacy » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:17 pm

A few months off, the water bottle drill, and a lot of putter throws around the yard have been beneficial. Still old and creaky, but I have figured out how to throw backhand without jacking up my shoulder. I stopped driving forehand, but still do FH approaches with putters and mids.

Better weight forward = better nose-down, so I am testing some faster discs. So far I like!

Feedback, as always, is welcomed.

STABLE CONTROL DRIVER

Teebird DX 150: Straight and stable
Teebird Echo Star 156: Windy days

UNDERSTABLE DRIVER

Diamond Light Opto 155: Easy to throw, easy to turn, workable, amazing glide. I use this a lot in the woods, uphill, and as my “forehand substitute.”

MODERATELY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Krait Blizzard 154: Much better than the 150 S CD – goes farther on low lines, stands up to wind nicely, and delivers a big fade when needed. Also testing a 154 Air Saint, but so far haven’t meshed.

DISTANCE DRIVER

Mamba Blizzard 150: New to the bag, flies similar lines to my 153 Star Valkyrie, but longer. The glide is amazing.

VERY OVERSTABLE DRIVER

Banshee Champ 153

MIDRANGES

Roc DX 165: Stable drives and approaches, especially sidearm. I look forward to testing DGR flat-top Rocs in a few days.
Comet Z 162: Money in the woods. I have tested 162-3 Star Makos, but so far the Comet is not in danger.

PUTTERS

Ion Soft 166-7: Main putter, approaches with fade, short drives.
Anode Soft 167-8: Better for anhyzers and straight approaches. I may try a few rounds without the Ion to see if the Anode can handle all putting and approach duties.
Discs for sale or trade
Monocacy
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:14 pm

Looks good!

I've got a 165 Z Comet if you're interested in a backup.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion