The last plateau

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

The last plateau

Postby Triflusal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 2:56 pm

I am getting eagles, gazelles and teebirds all out to around 380'-400', and I understand this to be the last plateau before hitting all of it. What is the best way to try and learn to hit all of it? continue doing right pec drills/hammer pounds or doing throws with full reachback? I have also messed around with bent elbow and the thumb lead throwing. basically what method of throwing will most likely facilitate learning the timing of a full hit? I was always under the impression that the hammer pounds and right pec drill were for learning how to hit half of it, but I could be mistaken.
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Re: The last plateau

Postby martinb » Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:26 pm

have you messed with your grip yet? lots of ways to hurl a tortilla.... you know im not quite sure what your getting at with hammer pounds or right pec drills.... but if your talking about being all you can be when you play disc golf, well your human. there are no last plateaus.... you just have to keep trying to perfect your game, and since your human and you cant walk on water (im assuming), you will not reach perfection. and no one else has hit that last plateau either..... as far as technique is concerned, thats a personal development no one else can really just tell you how to get there.... youve got to find what works best.....
Play Disc Golf
martinb
Noob

Favorite Disc: putter

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:04 pm

If I remember correctly, the only way past the last plateau is by feel and lots of practice. I think that's what most have concluded. I think it also has more to do with your body that is not your throwing hand and arm.

I would say that since you are hitting 400 with "fairway drivers" you might want to focus on the rest of your game if there is anything lacking. Can you throw rollers? Can you make flippy disc dive to the left (RHBH)? Can you forehand? Can you shape shots? Can you putt with good confidence? I would say work on making your game complete before trying to arm the metroid cannon. I throw a lot farther than most of the people I've ever played with, but I don't usually win. I don't know your game or how you play but I'm just saying that big distance isn't everything in this game.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby zj1002 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:21 pm

There is another plateau. I'm in the 550-600 max d range and I am far from perfect mechanics. It all comes down to time spent. The true final level still alludes me
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby fanter » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:43 pm

Sounds like we're in the same boat. I'm basically taking the route that keltik suggested before I start worrying about the big D. I threw my first successful backhand roller in a round a couple days ago and it felt better than a 400' Eagle throw.
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:50 pm

Throwing rollers is strangely satisfying.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JHern » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:56 pm

I object to the thread title. There is no such thing as the "last plateau." Everybody is on a plateau, including Christian Sandstrom, GG, Avery, etc.. And there is always a next plateau. Never stop.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Triflusal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:01 pm

keltik wrote:If I remember correctly, the only way past the last plateau is by feel and lots of practice. I think that's what most have concluded. I think it also has more to do with your body that is not your throwing hand and arm.

I would say that since you are hitting 400 with "fairway drivers" you might want to focus on the rest of your game if there is anything lacking. Can you throw rollers? Can you make flippy disc dive to the left (RHBH)? Can you forehand? Can you shape shots? Can you putt with good confidence? I would say work on making your game complete before trying to arm the metroid cannon. I throw a lot farther than most of the people I've ever played with, but I don't usually win. I don't know your game or how you play but I'm just saying that big distance isn't everything in this game.

I guess I have always been on the quest for big distance since I first started. although I have never neglected my putting, recently I switched to push putting and am pretty much in the basket from 25' and in. pressure can mess with me a little but I can work on that by playing horse. I can shape most lines, just not always consistently. I can throw fairly decent FH rollers (not for distance) and backhand rollers, but the backhand rollers have never gone further than my longest air shot (freak distance line with a destroyer that went about 470'. Closest I've gotten since was 450'). Oh and forehand is basically non existent. 250' OAT mess at best, and never predictable. I can do approaches though, but I am not that confident in that shot.
Triflusal

Postby Triflusal » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:02 pm

JHern wrote:I object to the thread title. There is no such thing as the "last plateau." Everybody is on a plateau, including Christian Sandstrom, GG, Avery, etc.. And there is always a next plateau. Never stop.

I basically meant that half hitting is the last plateau before big snap, not the last plateau ever
Triflusal

Postby keltik » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:11 pm

It's good that you have confidence in your putting. but the fact that you can't consistently shape lines, consistent BH rollers, and have no long FH means you have some big holes in your game. what about OH shots? flops? pancakes? scoobies? skips? accuracy and consistency is what wins in this game.

take it from me when you get to big D but are still getting beat by the old guys in knee braces and/or finishing behind have the ladies it feels disgusting. I may just be venting my own frustration but don't end up like me and be all show and no dough.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JHern » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:22 pm

Triflusal wrote:
JHern wrote:I object to the thread title. There is no such thing as the "last plateau." Everybody is on a plateau, including Christian Sandstrom, GG, Avery, etc.. And there is always a next plateau. Never stop.

I basically meant that half hitting is the last plateau before big snap, not the last plateau ever

Maybe. Maybe not. Don't count on anything, just yet. Just see how things develop. You might experience more plateaus without/before big snap.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby seabas22 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:26 pm

I'd say that when you feel the transfer of energy go from your toes to your finger tips and into the disc, then you have your mechanics correct. Keep practicing, as Bruce Lee would say free your mind, there is no perfect, be like water, be formless, you must learn to blend the mechanical with yourself to be unnaturally natural or naturally unnatural.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby zj1002 » Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:33 pm

What jhern said is my advice
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Triflusal » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:53 am

zj, what clicked for you when you started throwing bombs? was it a gradual increase of just throwing tons in the field, or was there one big moment where you felt an immediate difference difference?
Triflusal

Postby Jeronimo » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:45 am

Triflusal wrote:zj, what clicked for you when you started throwing bombs? was it a gradual increase of just throwing tons in the field, or was there one big moment where you felt an immediate difference difference?

How to use his 20 foot wingspan.
I am dumb.

...and a drama queen.
Jeronimo
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Pure

Next

Return to Technique