riptide

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

riptide

Postby money 21 » Tue May 17, 2011 9:47 pm

anyone out there throwing these? what do they fly like.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: riptide

Postby money 21 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:22 pm

well to me it throws like a faster gazzelle IMO. right into my bag surprised more people don't throw them. Not great at any one thing but good at most. I could hit nice lines BH FH and even thumber it. A jack of all trades master of none.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Dump truck » Fri May 20, 2011 4:57 pm

The riptide is pretty much a talon. Dga slightly tweaks the molds that discraft gives them so it's slightly different. I used to throw a talon but just didn't really stay in the bag. Decent disc but I seem to remember the talon feeling a little better in my hand.
omega/rhyno/comet/torque/hornet/valk/pd/nuke/destroyer
Dump truck
Tree Magnet

Postby YoungGunLefty » Fri May 20, 2011 8:53 pm

I just got one from them in my box this week and I threw it on a few holes and really really liked it. Its a very straight disc with consistent fade at the end of its flight. I would say it flies like a slightly more stable tracker but maybe a touch slower. I will def be keeping it in the bag for more testing.
Team DGA
YoungGunLefty
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pro Boss

Postby money 21 » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:35 pm

i have been throwing thumber with the riptide and having good success. turns slow doesn't have a ton of side to side action and almost always getts a forward role. i am hitting 290'-300 with them.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Amateur » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:14 pm

The Riptide isn't even registered as a DGA Disc it's registered as a Discraft disc. It has a rim the size of the Beast vs the size of an Eagle.

Only reason I'm posting this is that I loved the Talon and got a little excited about a DGA Talon clone, but alas it is not true.
PD - Valkyrie - Buzzz - Challenger
Amateur
MMMM drop your juicy 'maters in my gaping maw

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby BLURR » Fri Oct 14, 2011 6:58 am

I do like the riptide, but wish it had just a little more glide to it. Then it would probably have a spot in my bag. I agree with the person that compared it to a tracker.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:19 am

I'm pretty sure that the Riptide is based off Discraft's Wildcat...Perhaps with a different top.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby juju » Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:42 am

discspeed wrote:I'm pretty sure that the Riptide is based off Discraft's Wildcat...Perhaps with a different top.

This. Also the inside edge of the rim is slightly rounded.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby money 21 » Fri Oct 14, 2011 12:56 pm

it is base on the wildcat. which is also a good thumber disc.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:22 pm

The riptide is finding it way back into my bag. I have started throwing lighter weight driver and had a couple 160ish riptides at the bottom of the closet. I know i have posted this before but I think if i had to play with just one driver the riptide would be it. It is one of the few disc i feel as confident throwing fh as bh and even using as a thumber. Heard they might release some in sp plastic i sure hope so.

sorry for bring back a dead thread just though i would do that instead of starting a new one.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Return to Equipment