Merrell shoe opinions

Clothing for Disc Golfers, Shoes, Socks, Shirts, Hats etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Merrell shoe opinions

Postby MR. WICK » Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:28 am

new013 wrote:
MR. WICK wrote:"The downside is that you get significant bursting of the sidewalls just above the sole"

This is the reason I'll never buy Merells again, the shoes detach from the sole in no time. I've tried 3 different styles and this happened to every pair within the first month or two. I'm done with Merrells. The Columbia trail runners I'm wearing now were much cheaper and are going on 4 months with no problems.

Which columbia trail runners did you get?

I just bought a pair of Patagonia Tsalis and they feel amazing on my feet. I do have wide feet and they do bulge the mesh out the slightest bit on the outside right below the front of my ankle but the shoe seems designed for that, the padding in the shoe actually goes off the side of the sole so I'm guessing they designed it this way because the shoe naturally bulges out right there. I took them for a jog around a neighborhood and I really like how the front is nice wide so the front of my foot doesn't feel cramped like it does in most trail running shoes; they also have super good support in the heel.

These are the ones I have: Image
They made it all summer for me and are still holding up well. They were $55 at Cabellas when I got them.
I think they are called "Wallawalas". They aren't gore-tex or water proof, but I have socks and boots for that.
MR. WICK
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: the one in my hand

Postby Bradley Walker » Sun Oct 09, 2011 10:29 am

My Merrel hikers I bought for $125 were made is China pieces of SHIT!!!!
"The reasonable man adapts himself to his environment. The unreasonable man adapts his environment to himself, therefore all progress is made by unreasonable men."
-George Bernard Shaw
Bradley Walker
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby new013 » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:12 pm

MR. WICK wrote:
new013 wrote:
MR. WICK wrote:"The downside is that you get significant bursting of the sidewalls just above the sole"

This is the reason I'll never buy Merells again, the shoes detach from the sole in no time. I've tried 3 different styles and this happened to every pair within the first month or two. I'm done with Merrells. The Columbia trail runners I'm wearing now were much cheaper and are going on 4 months with no problems.

Which columbia trail runners did you get?

I just bought a pair of Patagonia Tsalis and they feel amazing on my feet. I do have wide feet and they do bulge the mesh out the slightest bit on the outside right below the front of my ankle but the shoe seems designed for that, the padding in the shoe actually goes off the side of the sole so I'm guessing they designed it this way because the shoe naturally bulges out right there. I took them for a jog around a neighborhood and I really like how the front is nice wide so the front of my foot doesn't feel cramped like it does in most trail running shoes; they also have super good support in the heel.

These are the ones I have: Image
They made it all summer for me and are still holding up well. They were $55 at Cabellas when I got them.
I think they are called "Wallawalas". They aren't gore-tex or water proof, but I have socks and boots for that.

they look like they have good support and I always try to get shoes with that front toe protector
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:37 pm

Mike C wrote:I forgot if I posted about this here or not. I had Chameleon Stretch 3's that I thought were the perfect dry weather DG shoe but 6 months later they were coming apart in ways I know they shouldn't. I contacted customer service and they had me mail them back, and less than 2 weeks later (They said allow 4 weeks for processing) I got a brand new pair of black chameleon 4's in the mail. That says a hell of a lot to me about the company. Gonna go try out the 4's today (Never knew a 4th revision existed) and see how they feel.

Same here. My Chameleon 3's had the sole on the right foot shred within like 4 months. I just mailed them off today for an exchange.

Since then I've bought a mid and low top version of the Moab Ventilators and they've held up pretty well. The low top one I got in 12w (I have wide feet) and they were so damn comfortable. Unfortunately, I've disced so much in them that I've grated off the little knobs of rubber tread where I pivot on the right shoe. So now my right foot sits lower than the other and I have a slight limp when I walk. :|
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby Junksoap » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:41 pm

I wear the Moabs with Gore Tex. They're extremely comfortable, but not very durable over the long term. I wear them exclusively for disc golf.

I had my first pair for about 6-7 months before the sole started to separate from the body of the shoe at the toe. I contacted Merrill, sent them back, and got a new pair after a couple of weeks. I was pretty pleased with that, but next time I have to shell out cash I'm thinking of trying another brand if I can find one that's got a better reputation.

One thing to note: although the gore tex is supposed to be waterproof with a lifetime warranty, it seemed to me that the more I got the shoe wet, the quicker they deteriorated. I play a lot of snow and slush rounds during the winter, and once spring rolled around, those things were pretty much beat.

So although they do a fine job keeping my feet dry, ultimately they seem to break down due to exposure to wet conditions and eventually start leaking. But, with the lifetime warranty on the Goretex I don't see what will keep me from continuing to turn the beat pairs into new ones minus the cost of shipping back to Merrell (they paid for the shipping on their end).
"Huh?"

-just some dude
Junksoap
dealing out SICK NASTY BURNS

Postby Sean40474 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 3:49 pm

I'm torn with these guys honestly. I had a pair of shoes that were shit in less than 5 months. I don't remember what model they were, but the sole was coming off, holes where they crease, lost water proofing sooner, insoles came out, stitching, etc. Now, my boots I bought for the winter, superb. This will be the third winter I'll be using them. They're rock solid and waterproof, comfortable, awesome and aggressive tread, and I even use them with gaiters while on my snowmobile (also, the third season).

I bought some Solomon midtops to replace my summer shoes, the shitty Merrells. This time I bought them from REI, so when they crap out I can get new ones at no cost.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby kestes8 » Sat Nov 26, 2011 6:48 pm

Merrell much like many clothing and shoe companies moved their production over seas which has lead to significant drops in quality. A misconception about shoes is their lifespan. Sure you could wear a shoe till you wear holes in the bottom but really shoes should be swapped out when the midsole is compromised. This happens after about 6-12 months depending on use.

If you are wearing your shoes regularly and get a year out of them
then be happy. If your shoes aren't lasting as long as you'd like start shopping at REI where they will return shoes that don't meet your expectations. THIS DOES NOT MEAN A FREE PAIR OF SHOES EVERY YEAR but wont leave you high and dry when you show comes apart after 3 months.

With all that being said my shoe recommendation definitely isn't for everyone but they have been amazing for me. Merrell True Glove is a minimalist/barefoot shoe meaning it lacks a midsole. I have been wearing True Gloves/Vibram FiveFingers/New Balance Minimus as my primary shoes and even though they took a lot of getting used to try have alleviated all my knee and lower back pain from years of sports. The shoes are light have great grip and makes me very aware of where I step.

I have treated my shoes with water proofing Nikwax which helps during morning rounds but I'm eager to try the Merrell Embarks, the Gore Tex version of the true gloves.
ESP Nuke - Pro Wraith - CE Teebird - CE Leopard - FLX Buzzz - Z Buzzz - KC Pro Aviar - Yeti Pro Aviar
kestes8
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:07 pm

Update: Merrell sent me my first choice of replacement shoes in exchange for my crappy Chameleon 3's. Got some Moab mids with Goretex. Pretty nice shoe. Rocking these for the Winter and as soon as I don't need socks again I'll be going back to my Vibram Five Fingers as my primary shoes.

So Merrell is like a box of chocolates but at least their return police is pretty awesome.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby zj1002 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 10:22 pm

I went through 2 pairs of merrel moab ventilators in about 6 months time. The best shoe I ever owned was some Columbia hiking shoe similar to the one that MR.WICK posted. That thing lasted like 9 months when I was playing 6-7 times a week in college. Never found another pair and when I tried to find the shoe online no one had the size I needed. I bought it at some shoe carnival place like 50% off.

So yeah I know Moab Ventilators aren't really that expensive but they should hold up longer than 3 months. I ended up just buying some new balance that fit well and had good support and traction.

I maybe be a snob about my bag and discs but shoes are going to wear out. as long as it gives me support, traction, and lasts 6+ months I am happy. no need to spend $120 on a pair of merrels. I know a lot of Austin golfers that have made the switch to keen or other companies because the merrel shoes just don't seem to hold up in central texas
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Previous

Return to Disc Golf Body Gear