cajuaL's bag - Looking for some critiques / advice

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: cajuaL's bag - Looking for some critiques / advice

Postby cajual » Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:18 am

Discspeed; as with anything I think we can have stars in our eyes and want the future to be right now. I find this is when discipline really steps in and controls who is going to progress correctly and who will remain stagnant.

You made me rethink a few things here; specifically that any time invested (regardless of how much total) should be entirely set to moving forward.

I have going to pull the Sword, Vision, Hornet (to be replaced by a Gator), Predator, and TD out of my bag and simply work with the remainder.

I will concede that I must have an overstable mid (a TRULY overstable mid), and am thinking putter also (as JR has suggested prior), but have much less need for the TD / Vision / Sword.

The next thing i am going to do is compile some footage of different throws with different discs. I really want some good critical analysis from you guys.

Thanks so far for eveything,
cajual
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby cajual » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:22 pm

I threw a pair of CFR Gators today for my first time, and this is also my first experience with this mold. It was quite nice because we were having gusts of wind that ranged from 25-35 mph with a consistent 20 mph. I will say they were incredible, not quite as glidey as my Hornets but so much more reliable on the same lines. I was very impressed.

I can definitely say that they will be remaining in the bag as my midrange wind-eater. This is making me think the Zone needs a second chance in the same role, except in my putter slot.

As always my CFR PDs shined in the reliability department. The more I use the PD in varied plastics the less I believe that I need a stable Teebird and the more I think I can pull all of these out other than my DX TBs. Any thoughts on this?
cajual
Noob

Postby MDP » Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:26 pm

cajual wrote:As always my CFR PDs shined in the reliability department. The more I use the PD in varied plastics the less I believe that I need a stable Teebird and the more I think I can pull all of these out other than my DX TBs. Any thoughts on this?

I just completed that transition. Threw TeeBirds since I started, found the PD this summer and it's been knocking them out one by one. Beat up a good P-PD and you can eventually lose the DX TB.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby JR » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:19 pm

I prefer Gator for general duty in midrange shots in the wind and an ESP Impact for straighter shots. Zone is better in headwind putts and curved shots. I have yet to throw the Impact FH, but Gators and Zones work fine. I agree, that the TB can be replaced with the PD as long as you have differently flying PDs and can power down for shorter throws.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby cajual » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:16 pm

I have made some changes recently, I wanted to share them along with some of my thoughts.

Putting; ALL max weight
Wizard; 4 currently -- 2 firm, 1 hpp evo, 1 softer.
Zone; 1 proto D -- this serves all types of over stable purposes for me in this range (thank you JR)

Mid-range; 174-177
Buzzz; I carry 2 - 1 Z that is stable, and 1 X that is more workable.
Fuse; I carry 1 GL and have found this to be almost irreplaceable due to its utility. I do not throw it near as much as my other mids but find that when I need anhyzer or glide it is second to none.
Whippet; 1 -- X mold in Champion plastic. I wanted a slightly longer wind-eater with a little more glide, I have over powered my Hornet as a wind disc

Fairway; 167-169
Eagle-X; 2 -- both champystar plastic. I am trying to season both of these to be workable middle men to my PD and RR (at least for now). I found the Teebird to be like an inferior PD.

Driver; 167-169
PD; 7 or 8 -- At any time I have several of these in my bag. 1 of each run of C, 2 champy-star S, 1 pop-top freak stamp S, 2 stiff P. I know this disc better than any in my bag and typically work it and my Buzzz (almost entirely).
Roadrunner; 2 -- both champystar. Really have fallen in love with this disc recently, which is sad because I wanted to love the TD instead of this disc. It just doesn't do what the RR does, or mine did not that is.

Utility; weights match related catagory
XXX; 1 -- Thumber, FH roller, skips, strong left finish, meat-hook

Bag; GripEQ bag, Two tone 2nd gen
Total Discs; ~22

I have played a few rounds this way and felt very satisfied. Thoughts?
cajual
Noob

Postby MDP » Mon Nov 14, 2011 11:54 pm

Looks like a pretty solid setup.

How are you liking the Whippet? Seems like an odd disc to pair with your other mids speed-wise. I guess since it's so overstable maybe it's not that much different to range.

Have you thought of adding a Max D disc? Something faster than a PD for bombing on open holes? A lot of people here like the King for that easy D slot.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby cajual » Tue Nov 15, 2011 12:46 am

MDP; To be honest I have not had the chance throw it in the kind of winds I am hoping it will hold up in (at least at the distances I am wanting it for).

I have had some thoughts about a Max D disc but I am more about feeling weight transfer and learning to shape lines at the moment and the larger rim discs do not feel as good to my hand. I may pick one up, I have some experience with the Sword, Halo, Flow, and Wraith -- and like all of them. I was thinking though about trying something a bit faster and more understable. I understand the King to be almost exactly this eh?
cajual
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Nov 15, 2011 2:59 am

Kings come in so much variety, that the opposites are like two discs for two different roles. The more useful one is the most overstable kind you can find, which is still not very overstable at all. VIP high dome and high PLH.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby cajual » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:07 pm

JR; what would you suggest over the King? I've also considered Katanas.
cajual
Noob

Postby MDP » Tue Nov 15, 2011 3:15 pm

DD2 is another option if you're throwing around 400'. I know JR is a fan of those.

I've thrown both and the DD2s I've thrown (all P-Lines) were much more consistent than the Katanas. The rim is just a bit too wide for my hands, otherwise I'd still probably throw it as my max D driver.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby cajual » Tue Nov 15, 2011 9:30 pm

The rim is just a bit too wide for my hands

I have this problem with just about everything larger than a Wraith. I really do not find the 12s and 13s comfortable in my hand. I am somewhat happy with the feel of a Sword / Flow / Destroyer, but even they feel a bit odd.

This begs a couple different questions; Could a speed 11 suffice as my max distance driver (eventually when I bag 1 or 2)? What types of differences in distances are we talking about here? What are the major perks of the speed 13 and 14 discs? Does the feel of larger rim discs become more comfortable? Is this something you adjust to over time, or is it simply based upon your hand size; you either like them or do not.

Anyways, I doubt I will put anything faster than my PDs into the bag for at least another full season. So, what are you guys thoughts on the other discs? I have tried to stay practical and not overdo any slot / genre. I am also trying to throw discs for the most part that I can stack up additional copies of.
cajual
Noob

Postby MDP » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:59 pm

Your hand size is going to put a kind of soft-cap on optimum rim width. Increasing grip strength will help to a point, but smaller hands are going to have less success with larger rims in general.

For me, a Wraith is just about the largest rim I can really consistently grip. Destroyers aren't bad, but anything larger than that really doesn't fit.

I get somewhere around 30-40' more on a good DD2 throw than PD...but I consistently throw the PD better. Right now I'm breaking in a P-DD (Hysteria) for max d which is based on the Wraith.

The rest of the bag looks simple and fairly solid. Whippet just strikes me as odd, but that's simply because I prefer to have discs in each category (putters, mids, drivers, etc) be closer to the same speed as it makes it easier for me to range. But you may have no problem with it.
MDP
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:08 am

This is the usual dilemma. When to pick up faster discs and more or less stable ones? And what you have in the bag at slower speeds. You have a good setup up to speed 9 if i recall the speed of the RR right. A Beast won't be that much longer, but 10' possibly 15' on average would be expected. A light Monarch could work well too for max D and a max weight for usual golf duties. Beasts and Monarchs don't stretch the fingers and hand too much and they are in fact easier to grip than speed 11 discs.

A P DD2 once broken in (fairly easy and fast) is pretty long, but it has more LSS and a significantly higher power requirement than Kings. Unfortunately the DD2 has even wider wing than the King. So instead of looking for a easy to grip fast long disc i would start stretching fingers and doing forearm and finger strength training to get accustomed to wide winged discs.

Because there are some way understable Flows i wouldn't recommend all of those either without caveats. The Beast is as long, but less LSS than the good non flippy Flows. I bought my first Bolt yesterday so i can't compare it yet, because i have not thrown it yet. It may be the only candidate, that could offer something more than Kings, but with some limited grip comfort right away. Anything faster and longer is gonna be more uncomfortable in the hand.

If you take the longer route and go right for the jugular and get the longest disc out there, i suggest going to the current king of the hill of low golf line distance a light ESP Nuke. Nukes vary and avoiding flat tops like the plague should help you in getting a usable one. The benefit of fast discs is to be able to counter nose up trouble by throwing them lower and still getting max D and possible extra D from skipping. Speed 11+ are not great discs, when you need to avoid skipping. Thrown low and especially with hyzers even speed 10 discs can skip a lot from a hard landing area. Under the branch throws are better with fast discs. Nukes fade hard like DD2s, but King ain't that much behind in LSS and skip. King tends to skip more forward than the rest.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion