Driving footwork?????

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Driving footwork?????

Postby mjudy » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:40 pm

I'm fairly new to the game and have just recently started to tighten up my backhand technique. I've gotten to where I can throw over 300 (350 if I get lucky)but I feel like I've hit a wall. I recently took some video and noticed that my front/right foot slides to the right side of the teepad during my throw. I feel like this is opening my stance and resulting in slips/early release lines and robbing distance. I'm generally hoping that someone can tell me if this is causing problems or if it is a result of another part of my throwing technique. I'm open to ny general criticism as well. Thanks in advance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqiBELI ... ata_player
mjudy
Noob

Favorite Disc: teebird

Re: Driving footwork?????

Postby keltik » Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:44 pm

keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby seabas22 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 10:15 pm

You lose your posture/balance on the x-step with your weight getting outside your left foot/inner thigh and being on your heels flat footed. You want to keep your weight(knees/shoulders/head) on the inside of the foot/inner thighs and preferably staying more on your toes than heels(except to pivot). Losing posture and balance you end up compensating with a long/open plant step and sticking your butt out in a seated position which limit the hips.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_zByUYQn ... 10#t=2m36s
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:47 am

Hi and welcome.

a real tee would be an easier reference for you to practice on, because you can see, where you planted. Before you start to move imagine a direct line from your right foot to the target and try to have the right foot land on that line with each step.

You don't twist the hips past neutral to the right and it reduces the amount of power you generate. See what happens, when you pause the body for a while, when the chest points 90 degrees to the left of the target and you pull the arm closer to the target at that time. Faster than you move the arm now. You should be able to get the elbow way past the right side before you straighten the arm. That should be as fast as you can and there is an individual difference you have to check for yourself. Some throw farther with the fastest acceleration of the forearm beginning later than the onset of the straightening of the elbow. You should start to accelerate the arm at different positions comparing distances with the same disc from when the right leg plants to 8" short of the disc ripping out of the fingers.

You don't accelerate the arm really. The arm motion needs to accelerate in the end and the looser the muscles above the wrist, the faster the arm whip. What happens in the wrist and through the fingers to the disc is more complicated and the next step after learning to accelerate the arm. Think of how loose your muscles are, when you try to swat a fly with a rolled up newspaper. You concentrate on being fast. If you have tension in the muscles, you move slowly and the fly most likely escapes. You need to stay loose to get the maximum speed the whack that sucker.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique