Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Discmania S-TD Turning Driver

Postby maskedavenger » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:21 am

jubuttib wrote:3rd run C-TD's you say? Are those the new regular rimmed ones?

yep, the 3rd run ADGC C-td that I've got is a regular rim one. probably slightly more overstable than its brothers but with enough power, not so much. That just may be the issue:

jubuttib wrote:Anyway, the stiff S-TD should be great for all sorts of neutral shots if you power it, and fade slightly if you don't huck it quite as hard.

With my current form/power (max d lines up to 370', but consistent controlled d more like 300') I don't think these disc are quite doing what they are meant to.

jubuttib wrote:As you use it it'll start to season into a great little hyzerflip disc, and on to a great understable driver.

That's just the thing. I would use it more if it were more understable, but it will only get more understable with more use :lol: I may just beat it intentionally when spring comes around. Why not get a more understable disc to begin with? Because when I get these ones dialed in all nice, they should last me a loooong time. If I get one that is understable straight away (D-TD?) I fear it may pass into flippyland too soon.
maskedavenger
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:38 am

I don't share your problem, since I like the neutral S-TD's for straight shots and use them for that. But there is an easy answer: Field practice. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby discspeed » Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:16 am

I'm preferring my max weight flatter and flippier STDs...The more stable ones overlap with my seasoned SPDs a little too much, though they are still interesting discs. I'm really looking forward to the new 3rd run CTDs to be more stable compliments to my STDs anyway.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby JR » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:44 am

I saw a flatter gummy S TD yesterday and the owner said it's flippy. I saw none like it at the local store, when i bought S TDs on two occasions. Do you know if the flatter gummier ones are a one off run or will they be available through the years? I'm not keen on discs, that are OOP and hard to find. So far i've come across three kinds S TDs. Non flipping taller stiffer Star, flippy stiffer low PLH ones and the reportedly flippy and low fade gummies that are flat. With consistency like that it makes me wonder how the TD differs from the PD other than in higher speed and longer distance. Both seem to come in so different flavors, that you must know, what you want and be lucky enough to find one. Sure some online vendors pick to description, but it is a crap shoot, if they know, what you are looking for from seeing the kind you need before. And the best PDs for me aren't available now. That makes me really uncomfortable.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby jubuttib » Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:11 am

JR wrote:I saw a flatter gummy S TD yesterday and the owner said it's flippy. I saw none like it at the local store, when i bought S TDs on two occasions. Do you know if the flatter gummier ones are a one off run or will they be available through the years? I'm not keen on discs, that are OOP and hard to find. So far i've come across three kinds S TDs. Non flipping taller stiffer Star, flippy stiffer low PLH ones and the reportedly flippy and low fade gummies that are flat. With consistency like that it makes me wonder how the TD differs from the PD other than in higher speed and longer distance. Both seem to come in so different flavors, that you must know, what you want and be lucky enough to find one. Sure some online vendors pick to description, but it is a crap shoot, if they know, what you are looking for from seeing the kind you need before. And the best PDs for me aren't available now. That makes me really uncomfortable.
It's Innova making these discs, you're never going to know what the next run is going to be like anyways... It's the same with every other disc in the world. =)
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby JR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:04 pm

Unfortunately the staple DM discs PD and TD suffer from more frequent and wild changes than most other molds. Innova included.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Nov 10, 2011 12:31 am

I've been struggling to flex my teebirds through tight wooded alleys so before last weekends tourney I dug out my field thrown 9/10 175 S-TD that I bought this spring. I'm going to have to read this thread as I'm considering buying a C-TD in hopes that it'll hold onto that slow turn with late LSS to fade and end straightish. I got three birdies on holes I never birdie which helped me win my first Advance Am Master tourney. I can highly recommend the S-TD, at least when newish.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby jtbingster2 » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:46 am

I ordered a new C-TD from DGC Saturday (actually it's a Xmas present but I'm gonna get my mom to let me have it now). I'm pretty stoked!
jtbingster2
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Sun Nov 27, 2011 7:54 am

Worked my TD's a lot today, which is a welcome change since I really don't need them at all on my home course under normal conditions. Worked great for me, falling in love with them all over again.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby jtbingster2 » Sun Dec 25, 2011 7:31 pm

Just got my second C-TD for X-mas. This one is a yellowish 169 that I'm pretty sure has a + rim. I'm hoping that it starts out a little more workable with hyzerflips and turnovers than my 175 non + rim did. I'm looking forward to tossing it. :D
jtbingster2
Noob

Postby jubuttib » Mon Dec 26, 2011 5:11 am

jtbingster2 wrote:Just got my second C-TD for X-mas. This one is a yellowish 169 that I'm pretty sure has a + rim. I'm hoping that it starts out a little more workable with hyzerflips and turnovers than my 175 non + rim did. I'm looking forward to tossing it. :D
All of the +mold C-TD I've thrown (mostly yellowish, mostly around 170) have been right in between my stiff S-TD's and gummy max weight C and S-TD's.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby himynameismatt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:51 pm

Speaking of 2nd TD's I also received one for X-Mas and got out to throw it today. Really Gummy S-Line, massive dome. I thought my C-Line might have been a +mold until comparing it to this S-Line and they match up almost identically. S-Line does have a lower PLH though.

Anyways from what I've read the Gummy S-Line are supposed to the most stable? I don't know if I got that correct because my gummy S-Line is def a notch less stable than my C-Line and the C-Line has seen 4-5 months or so of moderately heavy work.

My C-Line is more of a Tunnel Driver turns tightly, flies really straight and finishes with P-PD like fade. The S-Line on the other hand flies like a true Turning Driver that likes to get out wide and fade back on line when the LSS kicks in. To give them Joes Flight chart numbers...C-Line HSS -1/LSS 2...S-Line HSS -2/LSS 2.5.

Speaking of Joe's Flight Chart I think the TD is one of the more overlooked discs on this chart. First of all it's rated a 3(225'-275') for Power Requirement, when all the TD's I've thrown would fly quite overstable in that range. Secondly for the Range Rating I think it's rated much, MUCH too low. Being a speed 10 Disc that glides well I know for a fact this disc has every bit the distance potential as it's Cousin the Road Runner and even the Valkyrie two discs located much higher up the range scale. I know Blake doesn't have the time our resources to test every available variation of a certain disc but I think there's enough trusted reviewers on this site that would agree with my assessment.

Either way looking forward to throwing both discs more =)
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby jubuttib » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:19 pm

himynameismatt wrote:Anyways from what I've read the Gummy S-Line are supposed to the most stable?
You've read wrong. The gummy S-Lines are the least stable (well, the CFR C-TD's have a tendency to be pretty understable too). Stiff S-TD's are the most stable ones.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby himynameismatt » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:30 pm

jubuttib wrote:
himynameismatt wrote:Anyways from what I've read the Gummy S-Line are supposed to the most stable?
You've read wrong. The gummy S-Lines are the least stable (well, the CFR C-TD's have a tendency to be pretty understable too). Stiff S-TD's are the most stable ones.

My mind tends to wander when reading through 15+ pages of disc talk. Thanks for the clarification good to know my S-TD is flying as it should be.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby JR » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:28 pm

akuf tops in radar shots me with almost 10 MPH in exit speed. I have not thrown his gummy S TD, but it is shaped differently from my stiff S TDs. His discs turn over more in general and i have equal spin rate to him so that's how it is supposed to go. Still looking at his gummy S TD in flight it seems flippier than my S TDs and mine fight back earlier and harder. That is after adjusting to seeing how his and my discs fly thrown by him. So it is an estimate, but one that i'm happy to say in public to be reasonably accurate. His gummy S TD fades a little less than my stiff ones.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment