Entering the Pro/Open division as an AM....

A place to post or request tournament information.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Entering the Pro/Open division as an AM....

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:40 am

Have any of you played up in this way for the purpose of analyzing how other/better players approach all aspects of the game? We have a huge weekend tourney here in Memphis next week and I am tempted to do this.....I am an AM level player without a PDGA rating who has really hit my stride over the past few months. I am going to join the PDGA at the new year in an effort to get a formal rating. Anyway, with the right motives, can this be constructive? Any and all comments are welcome
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Re: Entering the Pro/Open division as an AM....

Postby juju » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:57 am

Pretty sure you can renew at this tourney and you will be current through 12/31/12, so might as well get a rating now instead of waiting until the new year. Also, if the TD allows it, you should play trophy only for a reduced entry fee.
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby Trey133 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 11:22 am

Even if you don't want to pay to renew at this tournament I would recommend you go ahead and sign up for a PDGA Ambassador Membership. You can get ratings and all you have to do is fill out some information. They even give you a mini w/ your PDGA number on it.

I started playing Open this year. Some things I can tell you about playing open are:
1. The larger pros who play will be very intense during the round.
2. The pro's who really shouldn't be playing pro will not give 3 shits during the round.
3. Try your best not to get swallowed up into the feelings of either grouping of these pros. The real touring pro's who try to actually make $ playing disc golf thrive on that intensity, and get upset at a lot of things. It looks like they're constantly in the dumps sometimes but they manage to pull out 1000+ rated rounds. If you let yourself get as revved up and upset at shots that don't typically go your way (much like the pros) you probably won't fare as well. On the opposite spectrum, stay focused and don't just be a last card pro player. Those guys really should be playing advanced but sometimes pride gets in the way? Idk.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:12 pm

Yeah pro isn't as fun as adv because those dude's don't enjoy talking and are really serious. You gotta go into a round with pros with a whole other mindset.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby TOURNEYPLAYER » Wed Oct 26, 2011 1:37 pm

If you are not as good as the top pros then you will most likely end up on the bottom with the crappy pros who should be playing adv. u will have paid more to play with the same skill level players. unless you find a way to either play your ass off or get on a card the first rd with one of said top pros.
TOURNEYPLAYER
I bugged Frank for a rank and got this as my rank. WOOOO Frank rules!

Favorite Disc: ZONE BITCHES

Postby Whiz » Wed Oct 26, 2011 7:51 pm

So which group are you Trey? And when are we going to get out to play together?
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby money 21 » Wed Oct 26, 2011 10:52 pm

i did this once in a non pdga event. there was no talking other then calling scores at the tees. the other players were very serious and there was no fun tobe had.
Summit, money, vp, flying squirrel, ibex, obex, sharp shooter #2, trak, ascent, seacert weapon, vulture, unlace, lace, olace, solace, Prometheus
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Trey133 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 8:23 am

Whiz wrote:So which group are you Trey? And when are we going to get out to play together?

So far I haven't been on a bottom card in pro :)

For every tournament I've always played with someone 1000 rated on every round. But skill wise I really should be playing Adv.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Fluty » Thu Nov 03, 2011 9:04 am

money 21 wrote:i did this once in a non pdga event. there was no talking other then calling scores at the tees. the other players were very serious and there was no fun tobe had.

your playing for cash, with the best players present, i'd hope you would have a serious mindset too. There is usually some conversation, but it is very minimal.
- PDGA : 40936
Fluty
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion ROC

Return to Tournaments