Go with the FLOW

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Go with the FLOW

Postby discspeed » Wed Sep 07, 2011 8:09 am

Booter wrote:Anybody want to give up any opaque pink or yellow opto flows? :)

We still have a lot of them at Cleawater, some discounted as they were my field practice discs. I've moved on to the Sword.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby upchuck1383 » Wed Sep 28, 2011 6:07 pm

I originally bought a clear Opto(172g) and a midnight blue gl(170). The opto seemed to be a little more overstable then I was hoping for, and quickly left the bag. I used the GL for about 6 months and it become too flippy. I switched to a new 170g blue gl and it while it was still pretty understable it wasnt as flippy. I hear a lot of people referencing that the midnight blue is the most understable of the bunch. I am considering switching to a VIP/TP combo of swords. The VIP seems really similar to my pro destroyers with moderate wear. I like the aspect that its stability won;t change quickly. The question is: Should I just make the jump to a different color flow, or give the Sword a go as my straight/slight turnover driver?
upchuck1383
Noob

Favorite Disc: Teebird

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:03 am

I've been eyeing the Flow as a max D driver. I've tried to read through some of the posts on here, but not quite sure if it's a good fit for me.

I picked up a 166 Star Archon with a really nice dome that seemed to almost hide the bump on the shoulder, but it's not a pop-top. I'm able to get it to 365' with no wind in the picture. I was getting my Star Teebirds out that far too, but on a much higher anny line, which is why I picked up a faster driver - lower lines, hyzer, same distance. The fade isn't what I would call "dumpy" as some have said, and the glide isn't all too bad, but definitely not like a River.

If my Archon is flying like this, would a Flow be just the same? Or might it fly better for me? I like the idea of having one mold for both distances slots in my bag (headwind and favorable/tailwind) and from what I have read, it sounds like a heavier Opto Flow and a lighter GL Flow might fit the bill.

Can anyone speak into this, considering my power level?
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby what'shisname » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:22 am

upchuck1383 wrote:I originally bought a clear Opto(172g) and a midnight blue gl(170). The opto seemed to be a little more overstable then I was hoping for, and quickly left the bag. I used the GL for about 6 months and it become too flippy. I switched to a new 170g blue gl and it while it was still pretty understable it wasnt as flippy. I hear a lot of people referencing that the midnight blue is the most understable of the bunch. I am considering switching to a VIP/TP combo of swords. The VIP seems really similar to my pro destroyers with moderate wear. I like the aspect that its stability won;t change quickly. The question is: Should I just make the jump to a different color flow, or give the Sword a go as my straight/slight turnover driver?

All of the flows, opto and gl that I've thrown have been yellow except for one midnight blue gl. The midnight blue gl was waay flipper than the yellows. My gl yellows are my favorites, they have a nice predictable turn and a little fade to finish. The optos are more overstable and can handle a bit of head wind.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby upchuck1383 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 6:31 pm

I ended up going with a sword combo and really enjoying it. More distance on tigher lines. I have kept my midnight blue flow in the bag, it makes a great distance turnover driver. I basically treat it as a really long river.
upchuck1383
Noob

Postby JR » Sun Oct 23, 2011 12:25 am

Only the flippy early blue GL flat Flows and possible later similar ones are anything close to an Archon. Normal Flows are way more HSS and the LSS type is different. They fade late, but not as hard as the Archon. Normal Flows have a higher power requirement to not start fading so it would probably be too much for you. The late fade is more for a 400' thrower comment.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby upchuck1383 » Sun Oct 23, 2011 6:22 am

I wish there was a standard definition of "400'" or other such distances. I always assume you mean on a frozen rope type line. But I am never quite sure. I can throw my sword to about 375' on a line, 400 on a high end. I never throw "distance" lines unless I am on the most wide open of holes and can throw my beat pro destroyer and can hit 450' no problem(w/ no headwind or it might be a 450' roller). Anyway I think sometimes people(like myself) can never quite tell. I personally am using the benchmark of 400' w. a teebird. Hitting that, would mean I am officially a long thrower in my book.
upchuck1383
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:02 pm

I don't get 400' from a TB. River is the slowest disc i can get to 400'. Line drives. I had silly small success rate with the King 166, that ain't as straight as the domier one with distance lines. Minimal headwind landed at around 410-420' on asphalt skipping to 468' in field practice. Normally i'm happy to have skips from astroturf on that field to 410' and less than a third going farther than that. Nukes and Kings. I would not call myself more than 400' thrower based on golf distance with line drives, that have to be accurate, repeatable to a point and plannable in distance in pre throw assessment. While i can at times get airborne flight of 400'+ in golf situations it so rare and so little more than 400', that it won't change planning.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Booter » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Love my flows. My fav opaque pink one is still heavy in the lss but has lost hss. I can still huck that thing in light headwind. I also have a domey opto that is as beefy as an aj destroyer. I love it too!

Flow is here for good
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Postby jgheels1999 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:27 am

Lets get these in 160-165 Latitude! Make it happen.
ION, jokeri, Fuse, Axis, River, TB, Valk
Aces: Hole #11 Stumpy Creek 290' 170 S Ion
jgheels1999
Noob

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Booter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:31 am

Hey lat... grip line flow? Please!?
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby Dag » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:24 am

Booter wrote:Hey lat... grip line flow? Please!?

Why? For the distinctive POHNK noise the yellow Grip Line Medius and Vision made when taking an immobile object square on? For some reason Grip Line putters don't make the same sound...hmmm.

Beat up a GL Flow, especially a lighter one to get where I think you're going.
...there was a time when you were taught to find the best disc for you, not the best disc for your situation on the course, which is how they are sold now. IMO, the flight charts are basically there to point out all the stuff you dont have in your bag and why you suck.

Chase Roberts
Dag
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Discworld

Postby Booter » Fri Oct 28, 2011 7:46 am

Eh gl flows havnt been too flippy like the old blue gls...im trying out a pro wraith a flippier flow. The gls take too long to beat up
always looking for:
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby dgdave » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:16 pm

Just got this flow. It's domey and stiff. Should this be one of the stable ones? The only other one i've thrown was one of the flat flippy blur GL.

"The Gauge may be the best disc ever"
-dgdave

Destroyer/Enforcer/PD/TD/XXX/Gauge/Suspect/Clutch/P2
dgdave
DGR Postmaster General

Favorite Disc: GAUGE!

Postby what'shisname » Sun Nov 06, 2011 2:26 pm

I've only ever thrown yellow opto ones, but they are domey and stiff and are definitely more stable than their gl counterparts. I don't throw as far as you but for me they are stable enough to use into a bit of a headwind without worrying about it. Not as long as my gl's though.
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment