flattening a disc

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

flattening a disc

Postby money 21 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:54 pm

does flattening a disc dome with hot water make it illegal for pdga play.
Last edited by money 21 on Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Re: flatning a disc

Postby zenn0913 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:18 pm

How would they prove it?

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
zenn0913
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby zenn0913 » Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:20 pm

I think the answer is technically, yes to answer your question..

Sent from my SGH-T959 using Tapatalk
zenn0913
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Buzzz

Postby ferretdance03 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 8:15 am

What the hell is flatning?
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby rwmurrow » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:30 am

Pour boiling water into an upside-down disc. put books or something heavy on a cookie sheet and set on top of boiling water disc. This flattens the dome. I have only tried it once. It didn't work. I probably did it wrong.
Destroyer,PD2, Firebird, Teebird, Gator, Roc, Challenger
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Fri Oct 28, 2011 10:37 am

I would say it probably is since your modding the disc but there is no way to prove you did it.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby Trey133 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:06 pm

It doesn't work for premium plastic that well. The material's memory is pretty elephantlike.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby money 21 » Fri Oct 28, 2011 9:43 pm

alot of guys around here do it to there dx rocs and dx cobras.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:43 pm

Trey133 wrote:It doesn't work for premium plastic that well. The material's memory is pretty elephantlike.

i did it with a esp tracker today. i dropped it the boiling wate or about 30 seconds then pulled it out and filled the bottom with boil wate and put the cookie sheet and book on to. came out super flat and is even better for thumber then before.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Re: flattening a disc

Postby JHern » Sun Oct 30, 2011 9:43 pm

money 21 wrote:does flattening a disc dome with hot water make it illegal for pdga play.

Don't ask, don't tell.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Hyzerline49 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:16 am

it works well if you put some cold water in the disc, then warm it up in the microwave... and its not illegal if you get caught. the only way to get caught is to tell someone about it.
Forces - Orcs - Banshees - Eagles - Wasps - Rocs - Zones - Wizards
Hyzerline49
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Ching Roc

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:35 am

Hyzerline49 wrote:its not illegal if you get caught.

I assume you mean, "It's not illegal if you don't get caught." And you're wrong; it is illegal.

The the rules of disc golf demand self-enforcement and honor. The prevailing attitude of trying to get away with whatever you can unless other competitors catch one red-handed not only makes a mockery of the honorable privilege bestowed upon each player by the self-enforcing aspect of the rules, but threatens the entire existence of the game as we know it. I understand that honor - and good character in general - is increasingly absent in our society and becomes even more absent with each successive generation of spoiled brats, but those same brats will be in for quite a surprise when a non-spineless pDGA leadership finally comes into power, sees the woeful state of character & honor in both society in general and tournament disc golfers in particular, and decides to take action: mandating a non-playing official to accompany each card & raising fees x-fold to allow for such a mandate. That will be the end of honor in the game, the end of my & many other right-thinking folks' competitive participation in it, the end of the "Golden Age of Disc Golf" (if that hasn't already happened), and one of the four horsemen of the Apocalypse of competitive disc golf itself.

So, those of exceedingly weak character such as Hyzerline49 & jhern, enjoy putting one over on the competition by dishonorably skirting every rule that you don't believe you will be caught breaking - modify those discs, mark over that "182" written on the back of your Roc, kick that mini from behind a tree when nobody's looking, and slide that disc that is 1" OB just a mere 2" (nobody'll ever know) - but know that not only are you making an ass of yourself & screwing every other player in your division but also are you ushering in the ruination of the game you supposedly love.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby MIdiscgolfer » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:14 am

My question is this:
Since no 2 discs actually fly alike, how do you know that the disc someone is flattening, doming, bending and/or tweeking, isn't actually returning a damaged disc to it's original flight characteristics. The no modification rule was intended to prevent significant modifications to a discs (ie removing the bead from a beaded Aviar). The problem is there is no concrete way of wording the rule so that there is a clear line between what is ok and what is not. It is therefore left somewhat vague in it's description but the following rule tells you how to determine the legality of a questionable disc.:

D. Discs must be specifically approved by the director if questioned by another player or an official, but in no case shall the disc be approved if it violates any of the above specifications. Any specifically non-approved disc (per the director) shall be considered illegal, and the player shall be penalized in accordance with 802.01 E.

If I get a disc in the mail that's obviously bent is it ok for me to unbend it? Clearly I am modifying the disc from how I received it. What if I get one that is really domey when every other one I've received has been flat. And as a final note how could you even show that the flattening process did actually change the discs flight characteristics?
"Wise men don't need advice and fools never take it." ....................... Mark Twain
MIdiscgolfer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wasp/Buzzz/Comet

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:31 am

MIdiscgolfer wrote:And as a final note how could you even show that the flattening process did actually change the discs flight characteristics?

The important thing is that you know whether or not you have made a post-production modification and you know whether or not it has modified the disc's original flight characteristics. The fact that you - and other folks of weak character - demand that some outside agent prove what you already know before you will begrudgingly acknowledge a rules violation further underscores my central point that honor is disappearing in disc golf to such a degree that it will inevitably be written out of the rules in lieu of police. Hope you & your ilk will be happy with that.
Last edited by veganray on Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby superdrive » Mon Oct 31, 2011 10:37 am

The rule is pretty simple. Domes vary from run to run, and rims get bent after each throw. Flattening a disc does not make it illegal.
superdrive
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Next

Return to Rules Discussion