flattening a disc

Rules Discussion and General PDGA discussion.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: flattening a disc

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:05 am

superdrive wrote:Flattening a disc does not make it illegal.

If you really believe this, either you are less-than-fluent in written English (another woeful trend in today's society & the disc golf community) or are self-servingly deluding yourself. What part of pDGA rule 802.01C:
Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics.

does filling a newly-purchased disc with water, putting it in a microwave to change its shape, and using the disc in pDGA play not satisfy? Changing a disc's shape is obviously a modification, is obviously done post-production, and would not even be performed if it were not to alter the disc's original flight characteristics.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Apothecary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:15 am

there isnt a disc company out there that uses boiled water to flatten there discs before theyre sold. therefore its illegal to use that technique to mod your discs.

anyone who says otherwise is a big fat cheater and, like ray said, is ruining the sport.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Apothecary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 11:17 am

veganray wrote:Changing a disc's shape is obviously a modification, is obviously done post-production, and would not even be performed if it were not to alter the disc's original flight characteristics.

the exception to this rule is if a disc gets bent or warped in transit between the distribution point and the consumer. ;)
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby rwmurrow » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:14 pm

The best way to avoid cheating is to buy a disc that is already how you want it. If you want a flat top roc, buy a flat one.

on another note, if you change the discs shape for the purpose of enhancing grip, and the flight does not change, is that illegal? I am just curious. I buy them how I like them so this is just me asking a stupid question.
Destroyer,PD2, Firebird, Teebird, Gator, Roc, Challenger
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby Apothecary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:25 pm

Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:31 pm

rwmurrow wrote:on another note, if you change the discs shape for the purpose of enhancing grip, and the flight does not change, is that illegal?
Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics.

Intent (whether you modify a disc to try to change its flight or to try to enhance its grip) is of no consequence. However, IF you made some sort of grip-enhancing modification that did not alter the disc's original flight characteristics one iota, that would be legal. But that IF is quite a stretch.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby Apothecary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:40 pm

yeah but why would one make that alteration?

to get better grip. why does one want better grip?

to throw more better.

to alter the grip-->better throws (at least in theory) and therefore is illegal.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby rwmurrow » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:46 pm

I'm thinking about my preference to grip a disc wothout dome. That kind of grip preference.

Squeezing it harder gives you a beter grip. Is that illegal since it bends the flight plate?
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:49 pm

I would argue that a clean, dry Roc and an identical Roc covered in a hypothetical weightless & volume-less sheen of Super Astroglide have the same flight characteristics. The difference is the ability of a human hand to elicit those flight characteristics from the disc.

A clean, dry Roc and the same Roc flattened by a post-production modification have different flight characteristics.
Last edited by veganray on Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:51 pm

rwmurrow wrote:I'm thinking about my preference to grip a disc wothout dome. That kind of grip preference.

Though your domey-->flat modification may be done with grip in mind, there is no denying that it alters the disc's original flight characteristics (i.e., the big IF not satisfied). ILLEGAL; your motivation for the flight-altering post-production modification makes no difference.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:55 pm

rwmurrow wrote:Squeezing it harder gives you a beter grip. Is that illegal since it bends the flight plate?
Players may not make post-production modification of discs which alter their original flight characteristics. This rule does not forbid inevitable wear and tear from usage during play or the moderate sanding of discs to smooth molding imperfections or scrape marks. (emphasis added)

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby Apothecary » Mon Oct 31, 2011 12:57 pm

nigga if its there, it aint weightless.

and yes, murrow, that mod would alter the flight characteristics and would be illegal as well.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby rwmurrow » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:00 pm

The rule says you can't alter original flight characteristics. So can you use a lighter to fix a gouge that returns it to original state?
rwmurrow
Tree Magnet

Postby veganray » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:08 pm

veganray wrote:I would argue that a clean, dry Roc and an identical Roc covered in a hypothetical weightless & volume-less sheen of Super Astroglide have the same flight characteristics.
Apothecary wrote:nigga if its there, it aint weightless.

OK, if "hypothetical" ain't your bag, how 'bout a Roc made of DX plastic and a Roc identical in every way to the first Roc (weight, shape, stiffness, surface texture, etc.) but for the fact that it is molded out of congealed Super Astroglide that can only be gripped by human skin at 5% of the effectiveness as human skin grips DX plastic. I argue that those two discs have identical flight characteristics, but the ability of a human hand to elicit those flight characteristics from the disc is different. Therefore my contention that IF you made some sort of grip-enhancing modification that did not alter the disc's original flight characteristics one iota, that would be legal, but that IF is quite a stretch. Quite a stretch might mean impossible, but I'm not prepared to make that leap.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Postby Frank Delicious » Mon Oct 31, 2011 1:24 pm

I'm gonna go home and give all my super slick aviars a quick rubdown with some superfine sand paper to help me grip them.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

PreviousNext

Return to Rules Discussion