Grip Strength vs Distance

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Grip Strength vs Distance

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:55 pm

I wonder how much grip strength correlates with distance. Like if you can only grip x number of force are you limited to 400' or so.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Re: Grip Strength vs Distance

Postby JR » Sun Oct 02, 2011 12:46 am

With no grip strength you can't get to 4'.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:00 am

I was spectating the 09 USDGC and while viewing the distance comp qualifying rounds one of the anatomy/physiology professors from Winthrop U. was out there measuring the flexibility and body dimensions of Paul MacBeth (he had just bombed one). So I got nosy/curious and went up to see what he was doing. well he also had a device that you squeeze to measure grip strength. He said he would give $100 to anyone that could squeeze more than 80lbs. being the broke strapping young lad that I was I said "lemme see that". well I only got like 60lb. Paul I think got like a 55 or 60 (he's not a very big guy). after a few people tried, the professor said Avery Jenkins only squeezed a 65.

I guess the moral of this story is that grip strength does help but technique is still king.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sun Oct 02, 2011 3:13 pm

keltik wrote:I was spectating the 09 USDGC and while viewing the distance comp qualifying rounds one of the anatomy/physiology professors from Winthrop U. was out there measuring the flexibility and body dimensions of Paul MacBeth (he had just bombed one). So I got nosy/curious and went up to see what he was doing. well he also had a device that you squeeze to measure grip strength. He said he would give $100 to anyone that could squeeze more than 80lbs. being the broke strapping young lad that I was I said "lemme see that". well I only got like 60lb. Paul I think got like a 55 or 60 (he's not a very big guy). after a few people tried, the professor said Avery Jenkins only squeezed a 65.

I guess the moral of this story is that grip strength does help but technique is still king.

Depending on what the device is, people can squeeze a lot more than that with the whole hand. Look up Iron Mind Captains of crush and RB grippers for example. With the whole hand i think i can squeeze an 80 pound gripper shut. With index finger tip and thumb no way. I can't reliably test my hand power, because the lightest RB i have is 130 pounder an i'm short of closing that, but close enough to think that i can close 80.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pwn11mM50f4 here is a guy that closes way more than me with only four fingers.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Trey133 » Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:46 am

It correlates a lot if you throw with nose up.

If you can't hold a disc firmly with nose up its has a higher tendency to slip out of your hands. This is where a LOT of people mess up when throwing distance. Trying to throw a big anhyzer with a stable disc and making the mistake of too much nose up will cause the disc to slip out super early and stall out without even anhyzering enough to get you anywhere.

Form > grip strength I think.
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Blake_T » Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:14 am

grip strength has a lot to do with it, but if your form/timing are bad, it's all moot. in addition to strength, hand-size has a LOT to do with how much force you can exert on a given rim configuration. for people with average or below average sized hands they will find a significant grip strength drop off when rims exceed a certain width.

if you aren't correctly manipulating the momentum of the disc you will get into positions where the disc is exerting more force than you can hold onto.

when timing/positions are correct, grip strength becomes one of the determining factors.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby JR » Mon Oct 31, 2011 2:30 pm

I would not wonder if there are more and less sensitive parts to grip strength. Thumb down pressing strength is likely very significant followed my index then middle finger squeezing strength. If you throw with the disc in the seam of the hand and squeeze hard with the base of the thumb and the opposing part of the hand, then only does the overall hand squeezing strength become relevant, if i am anywhere close with my gut feeling. I'd like to see this researched scientifically.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby ashley » Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:51 am

Blake_T wrote:grip strength has a lot to do with it, but if your form/timing are bad, it's all moot. in addition to strength, hand-size has a LOT to do with how much force you can exert on a given rim configuration. for people with average or below average sized hands they will find a significant grip strength drop off when rims exceed a certain width.

if you aren't correctly manipulating the momentum of the disc you will get into positions where the disc is exerting more force than you can hold onto.

when timing/positions are correct, grip strength becomes one of the determining factors.

I will definitely agree with this. I can consistently get my best distances with a leopard, teebird, and tl. Valkyrie is slightly wider and I can usually get a little more distance with them, beyond that it seems to drop off dramatically.
ashley
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: valkyrie

Postby JR » Wed Nov 02, 2011 6:18 am

Distance between discs is much more complicated than finger strength multiplied by leverage alone. Cruise speed, spin, fade, nose angle, glide...
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Blake_T » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:18 am

Distance between discs is much more complicated than finger strength multiplied by leverage alone. Cruise speed, spin, fade, nose angle, glide...

In most cases, yes, but if you exceed the point where you can get leverage, speed/spin etc. are determined by what you can/can't grip through the rip.

i lose about 5-10mph of launch velocity when rims exceed 1.4cm. i lose another 10-15mph of launch velocity when rims exceed 1.9cm.
Blake_T

Postby Triflusal » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:28 am

whats the measurement of your middle segment of your index finger? if mine is ~2.4cm does that mean that's probably the max I should go without a modified grip?
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Postby Blake_T » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:39 am

mine is 1.9cm.

the more your finger length exceeds the rim width, the stronger your grip will be.
Blake_T

Postby zj1002 » Wed Nov 02, 2011 11:56 am

mine is dead on 2.54cm(1 inch). I use a stacked power grip.

as shown here

Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby rusch_bag » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:42 pm

So if that segment would be 2.2 cm, would you suggest not using anything larger than that? What is the max width of a disc and what speed (innova scale) is 2.2 cm?
rusch_bag
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: ROC

Postby superdrive » Wed Nov 02, 2011 1:53 pm

zj1002 wrote:mine is dead on 2.54cm(1 inch). I use a stacked power grip.

as shown here

Mine is 2,7cm. I've had tons of problems with grips and that grip just might do it for me. At least it feels way better than 4 finger power grip. Much tighter.
superdrive
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Pure

Next

Return to Technique