Wizard school

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Wizard school

Postby dehaas » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:40 am

i just had a few e wizards stamped up that came out in a yellowish orange plastic that looks and feels a lot like star. it's plenty overstable for me, i like using the premium plastic wizards for my overstable stuff. we'll see how long it stays overstable after some abuse.
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby Jewdy » Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:39 pm

I have recently converted to Wizards. I was throwing KC Aviars and thought that I would see what all this Wizard fuss was about. Needless to say I immediately realized that the Wizard was a superior piece of equipment. The problem is that the Wizard that I ordered is technically an illegal disc (175 g). I want to buy a stack of legal Wizards of similar qualities to replace it but am realizing how difficult it is to find 2 like Wizards, much less a stack. The Wizard I have is perfect but I feel the more I practice with it the more accustomed I will be to it's flight. Any advice on finding some lighter replacements?

I bought a 165 glow that should arrive on Monday for night golf. I will see how that feels. It sounds like the glows are consistently pretty rigid.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby keltik » Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:06 pm

a 175g Wizard isn't illegal. yeah the PDGA says 174.3 g is max but NOBODY checks disc weight. Actually discs aren't checked unless there is a problem/someone calls you out.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Crosseyed0811 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 9:43 pm

keltik wrote:a 175g Wizard isn't illegal. yeah the PDGA says 174.3 g is max but NOBODY checks disc weight. Actually discs aren't checked unless there is a problem/someone calls you out.

That doesn't mean its not illegal, just means you won't typically get caught :wink: :P
Crosseyed0811
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Zero Hard Pure

Postby Sean40474 » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:06 pm

Sometimes I wonder if this is one of the reasons why this sport isn't going mainstream quicker...No serious regs.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby dehaas » Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:17 pm

Jewdy wrote:I have recently converted to Wizards. I was throwing KC Aviars and thought that I would see what all this Wizard fuss was about. Needless to say I immediately realized that the Wizard was a superior piece of equipment. The problem is that the Wizard that I ordered is technically an illegal disc (175 g). I want to buy a stack of legal Wizards of similar qualities to replace it but am realizing how difficult it is to find 2 like Wizards, much less a stack. The Wizard I have is perfect but I feel the more I practice with it the more accustomed I will be to it's flight. Any advice on finding some lighter replacements?

I bought a 165 glow that should arrive on Monday for night golf. I will see how that feels. It sounds like the glows are consistently pretty rigid.

gateway has an awesome deal if you are a friend of them on facebook. any 5 discs for $40 shipped or any 10 discs for $70 shipped. if you have an idea of what you like for firmness and texture give them a call and tell them what you are looking for. if you aren't sure ask for 2-3 of different varieties and sell/trade off what you don't like. i'd highly suggest calling the shop up and letting them know what you're looking for though, they can go over and try to find the best fit for you
dehaas
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: wizard

Postby knuu » Sun Nov 06, 2011 6:25 am

A yellow opaque Evolution HPP Wizard is what was available for order here in Finland, so I went with that. Judging by the seller's description it could well be similar to the ones dehaas was describing above.

If it's nice and overstable I will be set with Wizards for a while :)
knuu
Noob

Postby Jewdy » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:47 am

keltik wrote:a 175g Wizard isn't illegal. yeah the PDGA says 174.3 g is max but NOBODY checks disc weight. Actually discs aren't checked unless there is a problem/someone calls you out.

I know it is only a gram but I prefer to keep kosher. :wink:
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby keltik » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:20 am

bubi be a mensch.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby JR » Sun Nov 06, 2011 10:14 pm

No problems after wear and tear once it drops to the legal limit :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Craig Smolin » Mon Jan 23, 2012 3:18 pm

Interesting 6-9 months of wizard collection:

picked up a stack of softs in early April that were stiff and slightly tacky - these immediately found places in my bag. stable with great feel. two become my everyday putters and have been fantastic. lost a few right away which sucked.

received two softs from a tourney in August that were stiff and extremely slick. been throwing them this fall/early winter as they are blue and easy to spot against dead leaves. very stable unless I strong arm them.

picked up three softs in Sept. that were stiff but somewhat slick. haven't thrown them at all.

went to my local shop (Utopia Disc Sports in Norwalk, CT) - and one of the guys showed me a box of Utopia bottom stamped wizards. Mediums, softs, SS, SSS, and organics. Bought up four white softs (174g) because they were stiff and tacky. Went back and bought up all seven of the green organics (172g) because they were stiff and chalky. Threw four of the organics in a practice session later on ... they were a little glidey but still stable to overstable. seemed to float on my putts more than my current gotos.

Probably brings my total wizard stack up to at least 25-30 ... My feeling has always been if I like how they feel, I'm going to buy them. I'll see how they fly afterwards.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

Postby inthedrift » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:01 pm

I'm the same way...I just picked up some stiffer SS Organics that will probably be my main pair this season. I need a few new throwers too
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby tbird888 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 2:25 pm

I have a question about the various toolings. Aside from the untooled protos I had always thought that there were large and small circles and the current toolings. I recently bought a large circle that had a patent number tooled in place of the website (the Gateway side tooling is different too). I was just wondering if anyone knows the order in which they were tooled and if there are more I'm unaware of.
tbird888
Noob

Favorite Disc: Pure

Postby a.k » Fri Jun 08, 2012 9:14 pm

I just started putting with wizards and needless to say, they are the best feeling, flying and best overall putter i've tried. It kicked the ion and anode out of the bag since they don't seem to cut through the chains as much and I feel like they fight the wind a whole lot better
a.k
Noob

Favorite Disc: md-2

Postby Craig Smolin » Fri Jun 22, 2012 7:09 am

Ordered a stack of 10 directly from Dave ... white with a gold foil stamp, max weight, medium stiffness, with soft to super-soft tackiness ... these are really sweet ...

Took them out for some practice putting, and unlike some really slick wizards I have, they picked up the paint from the basket with just a few mis-hits. Going to really enjoy these.
The University of Michigan - "Hail to the Victors" - Class of '99
Drivers: TLs, Sidewinders, Wraiths
Mid-ranges: Shark, Meteor, Buzzz, Wasp
Putters: Wizards
Craig Smolin
Tree Magnet

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment