The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2011 Edition

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly - 2011 Edition

Postby ferretdance03 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 12:07 pm

The good: A local Municipal golf course operated by the city recently starting hosting "disc golf nights" twice a month using 9 baskets and approached me about running a tournament a few months ago.

The better: Said tournament happened yesterday, and was a success, I believe, by all measures. I was hoping for 30ish players and we had 63. Weather was perfect, we got some local media exposure, everyone seemed to enjoy the course and have a good time.

The best: My first Open win! Played above my rating, made very few mental mistakes, putting was on and I stuck to my game plan even as I battled down the final nine against some quality competition.
ferretdance03
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: glow wizard

Postby Steady 26542 » Sun Nov 06, 2011 8:38 pm

Congrats on the win and big props for running the tourney!!
Team MILLENNIUM
Team Gorilla Boy
Team Iron Lion
Steady 26542
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Omega SS

Postby inthedrift » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:28 pm

That's awesome. Congrats on a great weekend all around!
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Sun Nov 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Cool! Congratulations!
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Stud Horse » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:28 pm

Awesome Win!

The Good - Love the Sport, played in my very first tourney last Saturday, came in 24th out of 60, which was above my expectations. :)

The Bad - Elbow hurts. Have Tennis Elbow.

The Ugly - I do not know when I will be 100% again. :(
Stud Horse
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby JR » Wed Nov 16, 2011 3:10 pm

Good: Indoor practice with radar. Akuf got the best result at 109 KPH.

Bad: With a little warming up my best was only 2 KPH over, what i threw last year and mostly i was well under that speed (94KPH). I got to 91 with approach form at best and was mostly above 85 KPH with decent form save for the left leg in the air at the rip. The best stand still was 78 KPH.

Ugleee: I noticed, that after the initial 94 KPH i lost speed with a run up and got the best speeds with approach form. And the least amount of variation in speeds with most shots falling between 78 KPH and 85 KPH. I just could not keep my left leg on the ground until the disc had ripped out. I had very little success in trying to stop the wrist. So i tried the Feldy kick and got the timing wrong all the time. Once i even dragged the left leg on the ground. No matter, what i tried, i could not clean up my form. Damn. Then i went to changing grips. Once that was done without new findings (two finger grip and holding the disc in the finger tips only got the best results) i went to berserk mode after throwing FH at best with 77 KPH. Not the fastest run up, but decent speed still. I got a weird result in that i threw consistently faster with a 175 Bolt than with a 151 Diamond. Releases between three and ten feet from the radar. With both discs also released at 3' with similar form. What the...???? Then i just went to berserk mode to train physically and exerting a maximum amount of energy without consideration to form. Some pain in the thighs and buns afterward.

Weird: I threw a few throws with halfway form between approaches and drives with nice results after the radar testing even after berserking without concern for form. I think i overcommitted.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Star Shark » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:33 pm

ferretdance03 wrote:The good: A local Municipal golf course operated by the city recently starting hosting "disc golf nights" twice a month using 9 baskets and approached me about running a tournament a few months ago.

The better: Said tournament happened yesterday, and was a success, I believe, by all measures. I was hoping for 30ish players and we had 63. Weather was perfect, we got some local media exposure, everyone seemed to enjoy the course and have a good time.

The best: My first Open win! Played above my rating, made very few mental mistakes, putting was on and I stuck to my game plan even as I battled down the final nine against some quality competition.

That's a good day at the park. Nicely done on all counts.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby what'shisname » Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:58 pm

Good, better and best: new course is in the ground as of yesterday! First public 18 hole basket course for the city! At least two more on the near horizon too. Good stuff!
what'shisname
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby inthedrift » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:58 pm

what'shisname wrote:Good, better and best: new course is in the ground as of yesterday! First public 18 hole basket course for the city! At least two more on the near horizon too. Good stuff!

That is good stuff.
inthedrift
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Firebird

Postby JR » Wed Nov 16, 2011 11:57 pm

x2 Congratulations!
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Whiz » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:45 pm

Good: I played Open for a change in a local tournament and didn't shoot half bad. It was a bit windy and a bit cold but neither bothered me much and I only lost strokes on my own mistakes. Nowhere to go but up!

Gooder: I got to play with (read: got beat by) the top local pro (MJ) as well as two former world champs (Todd + Schultz).

Goodest: I beat Barry in the last round of ring of fire with two putts in a row from 35' for a giant coffee mug and brownies! (I think I took it more seriously than he :roll: )

Bad: I missed last cash by one stroke (and stay Am).

Ugly: The lily-livered Frank D chickened out and didn't come down to play. :wink:
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:20 pm

I wanted to come down but it was not in the cards.

The Good: Played a monthly instead and won pro and hit an ace worth $156

The bad: missed a couple of short putts

The Ugly: Whiz.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Postby Trey133 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 10:58 am

The Good: I got to play this weekend (Once)

The Better: I smoothed a couple things, and have stepped my PD's up another consistent 20ft or so.

The Bad: I forgot how to throw wide winged drivers... Its kinda embarrasing. So I took them out of my bag.

The Ugly: I live in Charlotte, and I didn't even know about some tournament that happened in Charlotte... on December 10th. I coulda battled Whiz for last cash!
Be the change you wish to see in the world ~ Ghandi
Discmania Golf Discs: Reinvent your game.
Trey133
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:55 pm

You didn't know about the Frozen Finale? come on son. I live in Raleigh and knew about it.

Good: played a one day C-tier over the weekend. Somehow shot a 1000 rated round while playing like ass

bad: playing like ass

ugly: probably will continue to play like ass as my practice time is decreasing.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Previous

Return to General Discussion