BBQ

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: BBQ

Postby RustyP » Mon Nov 07, 2011 12:55 pm

Forgot to take a pic of the finished product, but Sat night / Sunday i smoked a 10lb brisket with a mixture of hickory chunks (for heat / smoke) and cherry wood chips soaked in an IPA (for tons of smoke). Not done in the traditional style (mine was smoked @ ~150-175f for the first 6hrs, then baked in the oven [in a bag] @200f for about 12 more hrs), but still had an awesome smoke ring, toothsome crust, and was almost-fall-apart tender.

The rub was mostly home-smoked hickory salt, smoked hot paprika, dark brown sugar, and coffee.
The sweet/tangy sauce was mostly beef drippings, ketchup, sweet tea, and cider vinegar.
The flavor was mostly fucking awesome. Scratch that, completely fucking awesome!

Took this pic about 4hrs into the smoke (about 3am Sunday):
By the time it was finished, that giant fat cap had completely melted and the crust was a deep mahogany / almost black color :twisted:
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby biscgolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 1:34 pm

looks great... coffee is money in the beef rubs...
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: proline leopard

Postby veganray » Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:29 pm

Looks nice! I prefer a more minimalist approach to my rubs, having discovered that a too-complex and/or too-voluminous rub can adversely affect the absorption of smoke flavor, aroma, & color, but I do utilize coffee in one of my beef sauces.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby RustyP » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:06 pm

that rub is kinda minimal compared to my others in the past :) this one had 10 ingredients; nothing in such large quantity that it steals the show, and nothing in such a small quantity that it gets hidden. The first few rubs I made without using a recipe had 20+ ingredients, some in stupid small quantities (1/16 tsp of cayenne for a 4 cup recipe :lol:)

the leftover brisket will most likely a) get scrambled with eggs, b) be eaten as a taco, and c) become the meat component to a shepherd's pie.
in the bag: pd2 / destroyer / orion lf / sidewinder /eagle / teebird / rancho roc / fuse / ion / jokeri / wizard
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby biscgolf » Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:51 pm

mmm...shepherd's pie...
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Postby BLURR » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:48 pm

I usually use the left over brisket to make some baked beans. A little extra smoke time for the left overs...then throw them in with the beans and let it absorb some of that smokey flavor. Throw in some beef drippings, some smoked bacon, some brown sugar, a little molasses, some freshly diced onion and garlic...simmer for a few hours. Good stuff.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby veganray » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:57 pm

BLURR wrote:I usually use the left over brisket to make some baked beans. A little extra smoke time for the left overs...then throw them in with the beans and let it absorb some of that smokey flavor. Throw in some beef drippings, some smoked bacon, some brown sugar, a little molasses, some freshly diced onion and garlic...simmer for a few hours. Good stuff.

Don't forget the bourbon. For the love of FSM, man, don't forget the bourbon!
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby BLURR » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:03 pm

Bourbon...have to remember that for next time.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby BLURR » Wed Nov 09, 2011 8:59 am

Have any of you ever used canela(mexican cinnamon) in your rubs? Was toying with the notion of using some in my sweet rib rub this weekend to see if it added anything to the flavor..
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby RustyP » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:03 am

BLURR wrote:Have any of you ever used canela(mexican cinnamon) in your rubs? Was toying with the notion of using some in my sweet rib rub this weekend to see if it added anything to the flavor..

I've used it as a sweet component in pork rubs before, a fairly small amount though...just enough to be noticed. Ive seen it called for in recipes before, so go for it!
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby BLURR » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:16 am

Anybody care to share some of their favorite rub recipes?

This is one of my favorites...

1/2 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup paprika
2 tablespoons dry mustard
3 tablespoons onion powder
3 tablespoons garlic powder
2 tablespoons ground basil (optional as it is good with or without it)
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
2 teaspoons cayenne

I have substituted chili powder for the red pepper with decent success.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Postby RustyP » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:30 am

Here's a good coffee-based wet rub for beef. Not a personal recipe; I took this one from The Barbecue Bible by Steven Reichlin. I used it once a few years ago...the flavor was awesome on brisket, but I didn't grind my coffee fine enough, so it was gritty :( I would probably use starbucks via if I made it again...it isnt gritty, and since my wife works for starbucks we get that ish for free :)

1/2c ground coffee (super finely ground)
1/2c kosher salt
1/2c dk brown sugar
1/4c hot paprika (i used smoked hot paprika)
2tbsp ground cardamom
2tbsp ground ginger
1/3c chopped fresh garlic
veggie oil as needed to make a paste

cardamom can be expensive in the regular chain grocery stores. if you have a mexican market or indo-pac store nearby, that would probably be the cheapest route.
RustyP
2009 DGR Donator

Postby MizzouTiger26 » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 pm

I can't help reviving this thread. I watched an episode of Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives on FoodNetwork a while back and finally found a clip from the episode. The food this place makes looks mouthwatering. If you like BBQ, check this out.

Last edited by MizzouTiger26 on Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
PD~PD2~Quasar~Stalker~11xBanshee~Fuse~Axis~Gator~P2
MizzouTiger26
Tree Magnet

Postby biscgolf » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:15 am

guy fieri is a tool but i do like that show... one of my old friends in KC has been on it a couple of times.
biscgolf
Tree Magnet

Previous

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.