Tear apart my forehand

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Tear apart my forehand

Postby Mike C » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:07 pm

The drive in the first video on hole #3 hurts my eyes :lol:
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: Tear apart my forehand

Postby MDP » Thu Nov 10, 2011 8:24 pm

Is there something specific you're looking to work on?

It's a bit hard to give general suggestions because you never seem to be trying to throwing long.

As general as I can be:
Little to no hip rotation on most throws...but if you're not trying to throw far it doesn't really come into play.
Also little to no weight shift. I would suggest widening your stance a bit on the standstill throws. But again...if you don't need to throw any further for the shot, it doesn't matter.

You don't seem to get much wobble, although there is one throw in the second vid where you OAT one of your mids over on an approach. I don't know of that was on purpose or not. Sometimes that can be cause by your grip and not necessarily bad form. Most mids don't really sit well in my hand at least for FH. The rim catches on the top of my had as it pivots, looks similar to what happened to you.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Mike C » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:08 pm

The mid shot was unintentional but it worked out in the end. Bad release. Normally that disc flies well for me on that specific shot.

Sorry about the lack of power drives. That's the main thing I feel lost on. Stand still approaches I feel good, but footwork I have no idea what to do. Trying to incorporate body rotation. Also going to work on standing up straighter and letting my arm hang out from my body a bit more for more leverage.

I guess the main thing I don't understand is weight shift / footwork when going for long D.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby seabas22 » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:22 am

Yeah, your FH weight transfer is non-existent. You want to get your hips/shoulders/head all over your front foot at release. The rear leg will typically squeeze against the front leg as it trails off the ground and the rear knee will come forward. Try going through a pitcher's motion. Stand shoulder width, bring your front knee up high and back so it turns the front hip back loading the rear hip. Then bring your front hip forward leading with the hip turned backwards and moving your whole body, then plant your front foot further forward than it was opening the hip, your rear foot should come up on its own or drag forward as you have moved your center of gravity forward. This pitching motion is a bit exaggerated, but should give the feeling. It also may help to x-step, so the plant hip closes and plant leg comes around in front of the rear leg, this leaves you no choice but to load up.

Bennett:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7haXaVs_RM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1QVLQriAlM

Pitching mechanics:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cExdl1tvbfI

Javelin hip/weight transfer drills:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxJnPUqF9i8
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:31 am

General power tips for FH outside of the wrist being stopped to point at the target with legs, hips and shoulders doing most of the follow through are running fast and not crossing the legs into an x step. Leaving the right leg right of the left leg is fine and helps keep you balanced, when you turn your left side to the target. Aiming with the running direction to the target being aligned with the line between the shoulders at the reach back. Also keeping the eyes on the target at all times. So you need to pivot the body under a fairly non moving head and that needs warmed up neck muscles for safety reasons.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to Video Critique