Off-season training idea: throwing into a net?

While mechanics are crucial to the disc golf throw, it's important to have your body in shape to throw. Talk about conditioning and injuries here.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Off-season training idea: throwing into a net?

Postby cmroorda » Wed Nov 09, 2011 3:47 pm

I have had the idea of doing practice throws into a net. My idea is to work on some fundamental form changes (heel plant, follow through, etc.) during the cold, snowy, winter months here in iowa. I would like some thoughts and feedback on this idea. I feel i could gain conditioning and overall form better this way, then my limited playing outside in winter months. Thanks.
The 3-R's of improvement: Repetition, Repetition, Repetition!
cmroorda
Noob

Favorite Disc: Z Comet

Re: Off-season training idea: throwing into a net?

Postby JR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 2:43 am

I think at least seabas22 here does that and has a video of his setup on Youtube. Akuf also hs talked of setting a net up in his attic later, but we lucky dogs have a chance of indoor hall practice (330') through our club for an hour each week :-)
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby BLURR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:50 am

I have a shag net for golf balls laying around the garage somewhere...might have to string it up this winter and give it a whirl. Might move the basket into the garage as well this year. At least I can practice 20 ft. putts all winter long.
If the object of disc golf were to hit trees, I'd be 1100 rated.
BLURR
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: Comet

Postby zj1002 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 7:57 am

I am about to build one for the Texas State Disc Golf Team. I'll post pics/details when I finish it up

also working on a cross bar device that is setup with one pvc pipe going vertically down the middle and having 1-2 pvc pipes set horizontally as crossbars that can be adjusted for any angle. Not sure on the height/width of it, but I wan't to make something that would help teach how to aim.
Omega - QMS - MD2 - QJLS - OLF/S - DD - Scorpius
Tell me and I'll forget; Show me and I may remember; Involve me and I'll understand
zj1002
metroid cannon

Favorite Disc: QMS

Postby Akuf » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:00 am

As JR mentioned me and my dad are planning to set a net on our attic. If you are planning on doing that just check that you have enough space where you put it because it makes it harder to repeat throws if you fear of hitting your hand to walls etc. Also if the place you put it doesn't have heating it still gets pretty cold. I remember putting indoors last year and it was still 10-15 minus celsius (14F) even if it was indoors because of no heating.
Akuf
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby cmroorda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:35 am

Yeah, i'm pretty sure my 2 car garage will work perfect. Already moved my basket in there. Enough room for about 20' to 30' putts. I will just have to move my vehicles out of the way when i want to practice into the net. Any specific practice techniques i should use or focus on?
cmroorda
Noob

Postby cmroorda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:40 am

And i also have aquired a pretty nice space heater for those really cold days. So i think my set-up should be pretty good.
cmroorda
Noob

Postby Akuf » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:53 am

I'm becoming jealous. Our practice net arrived today wohoo! :D
Akuf
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby Dogma » Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:55 am

I could see this working if you have your form down and just want to practice some. But if you are trying to develop/change your form you will have no idea how you are doing since you won't get to see the disc fly. You are as likely (or more likely) to learn and reinforce bad habits than to improve.

I say this because there is a batting cage next to a field I practice in and I thought I could save myself some time by throwing into the net and not having to hike back and forth looking for my discs. I spent an afternoon throwing into the net and thought I had really dialed some things in. Then I stepped out into the field and was shocked at how the disc actually flew.
Dogma
2009 DGR Donator

Postby cmroorda » Fri Nov 11, 2011 12:18 pm

My intention is more for conditioning purposes, rather then major technique changes. I only have a few things i really want to focus on in the off-season. My biggest issue with form is being short on my followthrough, which i believe i could work on this way. I could see this causing some issues due to reinforcing bad habits, but i think if i occasionally video tape my throwing i should be able to post it on here to get some feedback. Also, having played off and on for almost 18 years, i am fairly confident i can correct disc flight fairly easily playing outside about once a month during this winter.
cmroorda
Noob

Return to Body Conditioning and Injury