Dialed in Putter Form BUT...

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Dialed in Putter Form BUT...

Postby x-out » Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:52 pm

Now I need some more torque with my drivers.

I've stretched my putters about as far as they can go, but I need some more torque for my drivers. It seems as if I throw everything with putter-ish form.

I know it's not really a "problem", but i should be blasting my drivers with the distance i'm getting with my putters. Any words of wisdom?
its a game of mistakes. whoever can make the least amount of mistakes wins.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Re: Dialed in Putter Form BUT...

Postby MDP » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:08 pm

The biggest difference between throwing putters and drivers is that drivers are much more sensitive to nose angle.

You can get away with throwing putters much more nose-up, and in fact some putters fly better nose-up. That would be the first thing I would suggest you check: make sure you're getting enough nose down on your drivers.
PD2 | DD | PD | TD | MD2 | P2 | P1
MDP
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby keltik » Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:29 pm

Yes nose up can hurt. Also the putter you throw can make things weird. I dropped the wizard because the rim was so deep that i would feel my finger tips hang on the rim. I throw putter so much that it hurt my throws with other discs. Try a shallower putter.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby x-out » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:12 pm

let's just say hypothetically that it is not a regular DGR symptom and that i don't have nose angle issues.

that said, any other theories or recommendations?
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby kern9787 » Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:42 pm

How far are you throwing your putters?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby x-out » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:16 am

i'm afraid to post distances in fear of, "yea right, you mean internet distance".

my best throws with my P2's are 340ft, averaging 320-330ft on straight line golf shots.

i only post here for a possible insight into something i may have forgotten along the way or need to hear in a different manner. please save the regurgitated one liners for DGCR (i.e. nose up, OAT, etc.) ;)
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:59 am

x-out wrote:let's just say hypothetically that it is not a regular DGR symptom and that i don't have nose angle issues.

As long as you recognize, that something in thre couild also be an area of future improvement as long as you keep your eyes open for that possibility i'll throw a few ideas. Joonas Hynönen Finnish 2007 Open champ has thrown a Pure to 423'. Others have thrown other putters farther, but they may have been wind assisted shots. I don't know if the toss of Joonas was wind assisted too. I bet it was close to sea level.

Grip may be an issue. A grip change may help and muscle power training to strengthen the grip is never a bad idea, even if you are happy right now. Rains and playing in cold, when tired throwing annies and rolers give new dimensions to required grip strength.

Are you injured in your throwing arm? Possible subconscious letting go, before injury?

Are you throwing drivers too high equaling putter apex heights and slowing down too early, fading out early and dropping too fast? Which drivers give you grief? Warp speeders at great height is mostly a bad idea even with the front and rear of the disc level. The exception there is Vulcan and flatter TP Kings with drooping low PLH. They won't get shortened as much as Bosses etc.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Re: Re: Dialed in Putter Form BUT...

Postby kern9787 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:06 am

JR wrote:
x-out wrote:let's just say hypothetically that it is not a regular DGR symptom and that i don't have nose angle issues.

Are you throwing drivers too high equaling putter apex heights and slowing down too early, fading out early and dropping too fast? Which drivers give you grief? Warp speeders at great height is mostly a bad idea even with the front and rear of the disc level. The exception there is Vulcan and flatter TP Kings with drooping low PLH. They won't get shortened as much as Bosses etc.

Moreso than nose up, I was thinking this.
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby x-out » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:32 am

JR wrote:

Grip may be an issue. A grip change may help and muscle power training to strengthen the grip is never a bad idea, even if you are happy right now. Rains and playing in cold, when tired throwing annies and rolers give new dimensions to required grip strength.

Are you injured in your throwing arm? Possible subconscious letting go, before injury?

Grip: my grip is pretty solid and i don't have to worry about the cold ;) i live in california.

Injuries: nothing related to my throwing arm

Height: i'm not throwing the drivers as high as my putters. it should also be noted that i'm not throwing my putters on huge flex type lines. the distances i'm achieving with my putters are with golf lines.

Discs: it seems my best distance comes from putters, mids, and fairway drivers. discs like the destroyer are still respectable, but i feel as if i should be throwing much further.

Overall: i just feel as if i am not torquing my drivers enough and they are being thrown with "putter" like form. what i mean by this is that i am using more whip than snap. i can force huge snap with rollers and turnover style shots, but have lost some of that violent snap with regular air shots.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby kern9787 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:57 pm

My putter drives and driver drives definitely have a different sort of weight shift. Its hard for me to explain, but to me at least, when I'm throwing a driver for golf line distance, I feel like I drive my right shoulder forward harder, as opposed to the whip like feel you mentioned with your putters. Could this be the difference you're looking for?
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Wyno » Fri Nov 11, 2011 1:17 am

To get the most out of this thread, I think you need to do two things:
1. Describe the flight of your drivers and the distance you're getting out of them in more detail.
2. Accept that some of the best advice you get will be "regurgitated". There's a reason why similar advice is given; there's only so many components to a throw, and chances are you haven't discovered a whole new problem. Annoying, I know, but thats just the way it is :-)

Otherwise, good advice so far.
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

PD, Vector, Axis, Ion, Anode. XL, Comet
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Ion

Postby x-out » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:15 am

kern9787 wrote:My putter drives and driver drives definitely have a different sort of weight shift. Its hard for me to explain, but to me at least, when I'm throwing a driver for golf line distance, I feel like I drive my right shoulder forward harder, as opposed to the whip like feel you mentioned with your putters. Could this be the difference you're looking for?

it might be something along these lines. thanks

i thought since everyone has advice on how to "clean up" putter form, i thought there might be a way to back track. it feels like i need to get my form "dirty" or induce some controlled OAT like symptoms.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby x-out » Fri Nov 11, 2011 10:35 am

Wyno wrote:To get the most out of this thread, I think you need to do two things:
1. Describe the flight of your drivers and the distance you're getting out of them in more detail.
2. Accept that some of the best advice you get will be "regurgitated". There's a reason why similar advice is given; there's only so many components to a throw, and chances are you haven't discovered a whole new problem. Annoying, I know, but thats just the way it is :-)

Otherwise, good advice so far.

1. it all depends on what kind of line i'm trying to achieve. i can throw a low laser golf line or a super high flex shot. the only reason i get more distance out of a flex shot is due to the fact that i'm actually hitting it harder than i can on a regular line. my rollers and turnover flex shots have what is closer to a full hit than my hyzer or regular lines. the distances i'm seeing are 450-480ft sometimes a little more, but less than 500ft. these distances can be hit with every driver in my bag (eagle, pd, destroyer, pd2, roadrunner). this is another reason why i believe i am not hitting my drivers pure. if i can get a pd2 to my max distance i should be able to stretch my eagle or destroyer well beyond that.

2. i understand why somethings are repeated is because they simply work. none of my results seem to imply that i'm suffering from any of the common faults. i'm not stalling out or fading hard which leads me to believe i'm not suffering from major nose angles. i can throw my flippiest disc on a hyzer and have it fade with skip.

just thought i'd throw this out here for some possible hints, not any miracles. i appreciate all of the posts.

this is just something i tinker with. distance isn't a huge deal, but this is something that has been puzzling me for a few months. i need to concentrate more on putting than anything ;)
x-out
Tree Magnet

Postby MrScoopa » Fri Nov 11, 2011 3:22 pm

You could be slipping on your drivers and not getting as big of a disc pivot as you do on your putters. Aka, not shifting the discs weight as much with the larger rims.
T-SWORD, C-ORC, C-FD, S-TL, C-Roadrunner, Z-Buzz, O-Fuse, M-ION
MrScoopa
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Valkyrie

Postby x-out » Fri Nov 11, 2011 4:33 pm

MrScoopa wrote:You could be slipping on your drivers and not getting as big of a disc pivot as you do on your putters. Aka, not shifting the discs weight as much with the larger rims.

this sounds like something i can focus on. it is odd that i can get the big pivot with turnovers and rollers, but struggle with the hyzer or flat shot.
x-out
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Technique