PLZ Critique

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: PLZ Critique

Postby seabas22 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:18 pm

Progress updates today and 2 days ago. Been gaining distance each session, and finally healed from oblique ab injury(3 months). I've slowed the x-step and tweaked pull a little. I'm feeling more Barry Shultz like, going to reachback and pull through. Still not thrilled about my footwork.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=holJrLYlekg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xabyBnD8xBE
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby JR » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:30 pm

Busy i'll get back to you as soon as possible.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:59 pm

Yeah you kick the left leg harder to the right forward direction. A lot more to the forward direction especially. The right leg plant step hip lift is still there. Try to immobilize the leg hip joint in mid air and fall forward onto the plant. That will shorten the final step and move your weight forward. Try to reach back a little more to the left so that your body isn't in the way of the arm pull. You miss the pause.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:23 pm

I'm not sure if the wobble is all grip relate or maybe something else, but it seems to kick the nose up especially on flat and anny throws. I use the modified power grip, and have a hard time keeping the disc parallel to the forearm. I seem to revert back to some old habits on the course rushing x-step a little bit. I also seem to feel a lot more control throwing off the left pec.

Playing on the course, mostly control drives with alligator arm reachback to stay on the fairway :) , Green disc is S-PD, Yellow champs are Eagle-L and Teebird, Orange is Roc, Yellow star Roadrunner(big annys), Green Banger GT(big downhills), and White is Glo Gazelle :
Any critique on putts and approaches are appreciated also:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDvUFzqaOXk

Standstill practice:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8G2Zszq ... re=related
Last edited by seabas22 on Sat Aug 27, 2011 12:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Aug 23, 2011 10:09 pm

If you won't keep the left leg on the ground until the rip the left leg should pick up moving forward back to front way more. The left knee should go to the bend of the right knee. That is like double or triple the forward momentum you have now in the left leg.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Tue Aug 23, 2011 11:35 pm

Thanks JR, I'm probably driving you crazy with my rear leg(and myself), I think that last explanation clicked something. I've been trying to push my rear hip to a rotation. I've been watching a lot of the Jarvis bros and Robbie Bratten and see how their left knee ends into their right but not able to figure out how to get into that position.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Wed Aug 24, 2011 7:47 pm

No problems. I know how difficult it is to change form and learn from written instruction that doesn't get long and super detailed. Why do you think i've dropped a few longer posts here? :-)
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:20 am

Tweaking form in the woods! :shock: I couldn't really put much power on the tee shots and the tees were mostly unlevel and very compact. I notice a bit of wobble on my FH but its consistent and effortless. I feel like I'm getting better weight transfer on my BH now and all these shots were effortless. Not sure if I figured out the shoulder pause or not.

seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Sun Nov 13, 2011 5:05 am

You have a good Feldy type rear left kick FH and BH you try to kick your left butt cheek with the left heel. Mirroring the FH kick should rectify the BH kick. You are about a disc width in the arm movement early with the hips and shoulders starting the turn.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:25 am

Testing out the new HD camera with high speed fps, its a Sanyo VPC-FH1A. Apparently iMovie won't let me export full 1080HD, but does 720p, man it takes a lot longer to upload and space. The auto focus seems to be a bit shaky, and I have no idea what happened to the vid on hole 7 with some kind of digital ghosting. It definitely looks a lot better than my old miniDV. Hole 5 at 2:30 I got some 240fps footage and then slowed that down 25%.

seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:36 pm

The good thing about the left leg is that it stays planted longer than before and the bad thing is that it still leaves the ground prior to the rip. When i got a few throws into a radar i lost aroun 6-7 MPH of launch speed when i ran at full speed and could not keep the left leg planted vs a very slow step sequence before the slowly starting x step. Top speeds came with a full speed run up only once at 94 KPH and top slow speed one was IIRC around 89 KPH. So for normal use the left leg must absolutely stay planted or you lose speed thus distance. And at those sorts of sped differences there might be slight flight variations as well.

You jumped the gun with the arm pull in the 25 % throw, because the arm was moving forward before the right leg planted. And the elbow could lead the throw more by going a bit farther before the elbow straightens.

In approach throws you put your legs in a weird stance that is used by some power throwers for longer drives. In approaches planting where you do makes shoe grip and turning of the torso at the right time the correct amount of rotation toward the target very variable with the conditions and grip. Dry flat land and throwing rested ain't a problem, but you will have varying degrees of changes, when you're tired, the soles are worn and lost grip, the ground is wet or slippery and uneven or sloped. I would open the stance a lot so that you don't need to push so hard with the left leg to turn enough toward the target.

I think it was hole 10, where your anny follow through was too high breaking the initial plane. I didn't look for it specifically, but it popped up at me from my monitor :-)

You had nice shots in there.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:57 pm

Thanks JR, I also noticed the 240fps was a bit early. I was rushing it because the camera only gives me 10 seconds of high speed rates. Any throws beyond a standstill I can't seem to keep the left foot down. I do use the same stance for longer approach shots as with standstill drives. I was throwing Banger GTs 280'-300' on flat ground with a standstill weight transfer drill the other week. So my footwork only tends to add 20-30' with putters. I have noticed I tend to spray wide right on longer approaches, but can't seem to get enough leverage on the disc with a more open stance. The annys Im rolling my wrist under and throwing high, hole 10 was a Gazelle, hole 17 was a Roadrunner. I feel like my grip still isn't right and causes some nose up. When I try to keep the wrist down during the throw it hurts, and notice in followthrough my wrist is up or is it because I'm rolling under?
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby JR » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:20 am

You do get more power from turning back farther and getting more weight shift, but that is not the point in approach throws. Or they would be drives :-) Often times it is better not to spray than throw a putter or a mid extra 20'. As long as you use low fade longer disc discing up ain't that bad, when you have distance control. I need to take a lot of time off from exercise to heal for the next season so i can't attack my left leg raising with speed problem with video analysis. So i may not be able to help there except the same old Feldy kick, which again differs from your kick in that the kick moves also back to front and not just left to right.

It is interesting that keeping the wrist down hurts, that shouldn't happen. Do you have arm injuries? Maybe you should take a break and heal for the next season. Done any heavy lifting with the wrist away from neutral position lately?

Rolling under creates hyzer and rolling over clockwise creates anny. Rolling the wrist over thumb to the right of neutral creates nose down in an anny. Or if you roll from the shoulder you can use less wrist. Wrist neutral or up may not be a problem if it happens late enough in the follow through. How late is enough to not hurt the throw is the question and i have no idea about when you're safe. I've never paid enough attention to it and maybe i should. I do have wrist down issues at times. At least to the point of not being able to throw extreme nose down to say above 15-20'.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby seabas22 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:32 pm

I just feel so less rear hip loading BH compared to FH. I've been doing a lot of ball golf and baseball hitting weight transfer drills lefty. I also drill a perpetual back and forth motion lefty to righty to lefty and try to match the feeling. I think it helps my footwork and hips.

No major wrist injury, had some RSI in the wrist when I broke my other wrist. Haven't done much heavy lifted since college, I weighed 155lbs and benched 300lbs, now its 200lbs for both. Now I mostly do body weight exercises and resistance bands when I'm not injured by something. I feel more thumb push rolling under with flippy discs and feel more accurate for golf shots. The roller on hole 1 with a Roadrunner I rolled under, feel like it gets more distance that way and doesn't flip too early on the ground. Same for the big sweeping annys I'm throwing flippy discs and rolling under so they land flat. On true distance annys I do roll over with more stable discs and use less anny angle with the shoulders.

I think my grip is still off and when I was forcing the wrist too far down as far as possible when it hurt. I can't really find a comfortable grip so the disc is parallel to the forearm or down. I often feel the disc slipping out. Not sure if its just crappy grip strength or how I'm gripping.
seabas22
Tree Magnet

Postby CatPredator » Wed Dec 28, 2011 6:03 pm

seabas22 wrote:I think my grip is still off and when I was forcing the wrist too far down as far as possible when it hurt. I can't really find a comfortable grip so the disc is parallel to the forearm or down. I often feel the disc slipping out. Not sure if its just crappy grip strength or how I'm gripping.

Sounds like a problem with how your discs are situated in your hand and not necessarily grip strength. The flip back drill from the secret technique thread is useful in trying to find a comfortable grip that facilitates disc pivot/nose down during wrist extension.
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

PreviousNext

Return to Video Critique