Working Stiff's Bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Working Stiff's Bag

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:31 pm

The wolf is a giant noobie disc that is why it's still in production. It's the archangel of mids.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby keltik » Sun Nov 20, 2011 6:07 pm

Working Stiff wrote:Dude, there has to be a use for it. They CNXed the Puma and kept the Wolf. There has to be a reason.

you look for reason in Innova? lulz
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Nov 20, 2011 7:41 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:The wolf is a giant noobie disc that is why it's still in production. It's the archangel of mids.
No, no, no...the Archangel will glide. It follows the time-tested noobie formula of the understable disc that will glide out for the weenie arm. It makes sense.

The Wolf is doggie-toy understable with no glide. If you power down on it enough to keep it from turning and burning it doesn't go anywhere. WTF? Who asked for that? "Hey, Mr. Dunipace? Can you design a midrange that is impossible to throw hard and drops like a fucking brick if you finesse it? Thanks." There has got to be something more to it, like a universal truth that will be revealed to you if you can figure out WTF this disc is good for. And don't tell me rollers, because you can beat a Cobra into a better roller than a Wolf in a half hour. So I'm throwing it, Goddamnit! I'll figure this out yet...

At any rate, after I throw the Wolf a little bit I fucking LOVE the Comet like I've never loved before.
Last edited by Working Stiff on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:39 pm

So what you're saying is the usefulness of the wolf is a kōan of disc golf
Frank Delicious

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Possibly. Critical thinking has failed to explain the existence of the Wolf to me. I have to free my mind to understand it. Once I do, I will have a deeper understanding of golf discs, life and the Universe. We have to embrace the mysteries of life before we can hope to understand them. So far as golf discs go, the Wolf is a Goddamn mystery to me.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Nov 20, 2011 10:14 pm

What if the wolf is DG's sword in the stone? Dave D designed it one day after visiting a mexican shaman and had a vision quest to design the wolf (he named it after his spirit guide animal). He knows that one day, a person will come along who will break the distance record with the wolf. That person will then go on to usher in a new era of disc golf teaching his 13 disciples how to throw 500' easily and telling them to spread the word of the disc golf distance messiah. The messiah will eventually be betrayed by his seventh disciple on the seventh day of the seventh month of his seventh seventh year on this earth. His secrets will be lost and we will experience a disc golf dark age until everyone converts to Frisbeetarianism (which everyone will misinterpret and then redefine to be a set of beliefs based around disc golf).
Frank Delicious

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:12 pm

I was really hoping more for enlightenment than fairy tales. :|
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby Frank Delicious » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:23 pm

sorry they are one and the same
Frank Delicious

Postby Working Stiff » Sun Nov 20, 2011 11:58 pm

Can I downgrade to a more secular enlightenment? I just want some clarity as to why this disc exists. Maybe it will turn out that you are right and it's just the "giant noobie disc," but for right now I just want to keep my mind open to the possibility that there might actually be a use for the thing.

If I'm wrong, no biggie. I can put it in the stack next to the Panthers I don't throw anymore. If I'm right, I can be that guy. You know the guy. People are sitting around ragging on how horrible a disc is and somebody goes "I have a buddy who is deadly with his Groove." I can be the buddy with the deadly Wolf shots.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby warobert » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:43 am

I play back home with a guy who is deadly with a wolf. He only throws the first runs. On the other hand, he is almost 60 and doesnt exactly throw with lots of power.
Mark Ellis wrote:Myth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid.

Truth: Climo could beat you with a trash can lid left-handed.
warobert
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: teebird

Postby Wyno » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:24 pm

Best write up of a disc ever! WS, you made my day, classic :D
Mark Ellis wrote:Most sins can be erased with a blunt edged disc.

Main Bag: Z Surge SS, Z Pred, N Volt, E Vector, N Axis, P Ion, P Anode. Touch bag: XLs, Comets, Rattlers
Wyno
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: MVP Anode

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:18 pm

OK, so the Wolf was a stupid idea. I never did find anything it did well. I've decided to move my stupidity over to throwing thumb rollers with a Condor. At least the there is one shot that the Condor does well.

I've also ended up with small bead Aviars back in the bag. They feel great in my hand and have been surprisingly good in the wind so far. I did this in the summer and missed putts like crazy, but so far so good this go-around.

Distance Drivers
(1) SOLF 1.2 162g
(2) Champ Valkyries 160ish/170g
Stable Control Drivers
(1) QJLS 1.8 (it's not yellow), 168g
Overstable Driver
(1) Z Predator, 169g
(1) FLX Predator, 170g
Mids:
(1) DX Condor 198g
(2) Z Comet, 172-177g
(1) Q Sentinel, 176g
Putters:
(3) DX Aviars (small bead) 167-172g
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Postby rehder » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:47 am

whats up with the FLX pred? Why are you throwing it and the Z?
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Frank Delicious » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:52 am

The SM aviar is a seriously underrated mold
Frank Delicious

Postby Working Stiff » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:29 pm

rehder wrote:whats up with the FLX pred? Why are you throwing it and the Z?
I got the FLX as a secret Santa disc. I really don't know anything about them. I thought I'd give it some throws and see if it was worth hanging on to or if it's going to be somebody's secret Santa gift next year.

Frank Delicious wrote:The SM aviar is a seriously underrated mold
Somewhere along the line I convinced myself that they were not stable enough. It must have been those flat, wide-open and windy Chicago courses.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion