I have recommended the Tao of Jeet Kun Do to about 50 students. I think about 2 actually went and read it.
While perfecting technique is largely personal and based upon feel, there are some flaws with this when attempting to teach it. There's a few threads of replies between Mark Ellis and I that cover this same sort of topic.
I've worked with well over 600 disc golfers in person and more like 3k-4k if you count people that i've given repeated instruction to at the shop without actually seeing them throw and people i've talked with over the phone, via email, internet chat, etc.
What you are saying is completely true, but not always an effective way of teaching someone... or better put, "not always an effective way of getting someone to learn something."
Most people who throw far got there on their own using what you have described above. They usually make up the top 2-5% of pros (in almost any sport). The question goes to what do you do for the remaining 95% of pros (or 99% of the general population)? That is, how do you get someone who is lacking in body control/coordination, body awareness, and talent to be able to do something that they won't know if they're actually doing it correctly (nor do they know when they are doing incorrectly).
I've tried both methods of attempting to work with something that is based upon a visual/positional ideal (e.g. using key body positions to connect through) as well as keeping as conceptual as possible (e.g. the right pec drill) and trying to get people to come to conclusions on their own. Unfortunately neither of these really alleviated the giant hurdles of doing a crapload of reps and being coordinated enough to know when you're doing it right or wrong.
Basically, most people can't tell the difference between positive and negative acceleration (= generating positive or negative force) and in many cases their previous muscle memory has goobered up their throw to an almost irreparable level.
The (nearing completion) secret technique was something I had hoped would make this easier by giving a simple, intuitive motion based upon disc manipulation and going from there. This seems to have opened things up for about 20-25% of the people that have tried it... which means it still needs a lot of work.
Overall though, I think any teaching/learning method really comes down to the focused reps of the student. The generally accepted numbers are: 2,000 = gets comfortable. 20,000 = proficiency. 80,000 = mastery.
Whether or not this can be "cheated" at all is what I'm seeking.
So while I agree with what you are saying, be prepared for the 200 "I need to see it in a video" requests