BroD bag reboot.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: BroD bag reboot.

Postby new013 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:26 pm

i've had my lime green cmd2 for two months now and it's got to the point where it has a very slight fade, i hope it stays here for a while because it's amazing to throw, makes me feel like my buzzz is unpredictable after i throw it.

if i remember correctly you were on the only person to suggest it when i did the "you pick my mid" thread on dgcr.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby BrotherDave » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:13 pm

new013 wrote:if i remember correctly you were on the only person to suggest it when i did the "you pick my mid" thread on dgcr.

I think I was the 2nd guy to mention it. Sadly, my Opto Pain is starting to overlap with it pretty heavily, so the MD2 is going to sit on the bench. I've been throwing the Pain a ton just to work it in and it's getting interesting.

Lamp wrote:Yay! I knew OATman would be back, a little more pixelated, but it's okay, I've had resizing issues in the past.

And the recent heat has changed my bag up a lot, it's all about grip for me, and anything star/esp/gold line has pretty much felt like goo in this weather. It's kind of hurt my game a bit, as I've been forced to switch around. I'm almost about to write down a "heat-wave only bag" just to remember what works and what doesn't.

I've honestly always used my zone as a mid, and once I figure out my ion, that too will be used in the same way most likely. The zone is the ultimate utility disc IMO.

You have quite the unique bag, Mr. eagle extraordinaire. No suggestions from me though, maybe see what you can eliminate from the mid spot, will just make your life easier.

Sorry, that pixelated OATman drove me crazy. I'm gonna scheme up something better eventually.

Thinking about some little tweaks to the bag.
Distance: 150 P-PD (rarely goes in, I barely have holes worth bringing it)

Drivers: 175 Champ EX (go-to)
175 S.EX (overstable)
155 Champ Leo (understable)*
172 Champ Banshee (meathook, OH, FR rollers, etc.)
175 S. Starfire (beat to hell) Can't miss FH.

Middies: 177 Opto Pain
177 Opto Fuse (beat)

Putters: 175 Soft Ion (drives, long approaches, used like a mid)
175 Medium Ion (FH)
175 X-link firm Summit (putts)
170 x-link regular Summit (long putts, straddle putts).

*I may replace the Leo with a 150 class Champ EL one day but this disc is just $$ for flicking out of trouble.

Yes, I'm putting in a M Ion exclusively for FH. Gonna take out the Zone to see if I miss it. I've streamlined the bag to get back to basics a bit and b/c it's too fucking hot to stand around and wonder which driver to pull out. I've also put my FH crutch back in, the Starfire. Though my FH is getting a little bit better with the Eagles, that wider rim is just so much comfier for me.
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby fanter » Sat Aug 06, 2011 7:47 pm

I get a lot of spit-outs with my firm Summit on shorter putts, so I use a regular X-link one for those. I use the firm for the longer putts that need more power where I think the regular (slightly floppy) might give me a less clean release. We're opposite. How does the firm do for you as a main putter?
fanter
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby BrotherDave » Mon Aug 15, 2011 12:24 am

Pretty well, it seems to have a more predictable drop rate than the regular but that might be more weight related than firmness. They both like to bounce out if I hit the pole dead center, especially on closer putts. The 170 is my longer putter just b/c it's lighter really, I straddle putt for all my long putts and I can just get it to carry better.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:11 am

Winter bag shenanigans:

Distance Drivers:
175 Champ Viking (general distance)
175 Champ Valk (hyzer flip distance)
172 Champ Monarch (useful flippy, occasional roller)
170+ Opto xXx (thumbers and such)

FW:
168 Champ EX (new w/ flight numbers, checking it out)
174 CE EL

Middies:
173 Nebula (This disc and I just click)
175 Champ Panther (Hopefully it performs better than my Carolina Panthers)

Putters:
174 S Ion (new run, drives, FH)
172 S Ion (old run with barely a bead, approaches, FH)
170 FR Summit (putts)
170 x-link Summit (straddle and long putts)

I'm dicking around a little while the leaves are everywhere, I particularly did not want to lose my Pains and Fuses. Somehow, I think the Neb might make the 1st team again with the Axis and Fuse, replacing the Pain unless I absolutely need a decently overstable mid. I'm finally coming out of my disced down cocoon, for better or worse, and throwing distance drivers more. I'm not in love with the ones I'm throwing and would love to hear suggestions. I need to either try some others out or get my Vikes and Valks in the 160s where they'd be more useful. Anything around that stability and no faster than ~ speed 10 (Orcs for example are about as wide a disc I feel comfy using) I'd be interested in hearing about. My putters I'm extremely happy with, same for fairways.

Thanks for reading.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:44 pm

distance discs you should try:

Orc
Beast
QOLS/SOLS
Northman
TD (S line for glide, C line for line shaping)
SOLF (you already carry an eagle, why not the longer version?)

Discs a bit bigger than you want that you should try if you want

Wraith
Surge
Crush
flow
riot

I've thrown all those discs so if you want to know more about any of them let me know.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby BrotherDave » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:41 pm

I've thrown a Champ Orc before, and I did like it. Might have to revisit it in the 160s. Beast I wasn't crazy about, I think I'd rather throw a RR. QOLS and SOLS I definitely to try, same with SOLF. The Northman I know nothing about. I've thrown a S-TD a little bit. I'm not sure I want to leave speed 9 quite yet though, I feel like I should take some baby steps still.

I took this rig out today and shot one of my best rounds ever at N. Asheboro, I think gravitating towards more drivers is actually paying dividends since I can throw them decently now. The Panther isn't a bad little disc, it's not as understable as I thought it would be and I do miss my beat Fuse (and Axis) terribly but I parked often with some nice annys.

Drivers I've been kicking around using for Viking replacement are craze CD (heard it was similar to a Viking), the SOLS/F, and P-PD but I'll have to research those others. Thanks Franky D.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Postby Working Stiff » Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:41 pm

There are a lot of discs that get talked about like they are Optimizer-flippy that are actually not bad. The Champ Panther is a nice disc. Easy to throw, easy to control, not nearly as flippy as some people seem to think it is.
Furthur wrote:Either get a lighter one, throw harder, or find a disc with more glide.
Working Stiff
Super Moderator of DGCR

Favorite Disc: Ontario Roc

Postby new013 » Wed Nov 23, 2011 12:02 am

You could maybe try a River for distance, the glide on those things is ridiculous.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby BrotherDave » Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:39 pm

I actually have a River that I used for awhile. They are glide tastic and would definitely work for my understable shot BUT they are a pain in the ass to get in the 160s.

I think my plan is to get a Pro Valk and maybe a P-PD, ~165g, and branch out from there.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Previous

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion