Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Non-Disc Golf Stuff

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Bourban, wiskey or wisky

Postby JR » Wed Nov 23, 2011 1:01 am

veganray wrote:High West ryes are the shit. Bourye (bourbon/rye blend) for a transitional rye dabbler, Rendezvous for the more seasoned rye lover, and their 16 or 21 year old straight ryes for the aficionado.

I'm surprised that jr has any beverage time for whiskey in his grueling regimen of bleach-drinking.

Thanks for the suggestions. My wallet does not like me falling into aficionado camp in most beverages. Palate wise what are the distinctions between corn and rye based bourbons? Is rye less sweet and more importantly does rye lack the solvent type taste of many cheaper corn bourbons? Sweetness as such is not at all objectionable to me as long as it works with the other flavors, but sweetness and solvent is as unacceptable for me as solvent taste.

Hey don't be mad at me, if i gave you your own medicine by trolling you back :-D Peace man, no harm intended i was just having fun yanking your chain to see how you would react to getting treated like you treat others :^) And in that vein are you by chance an activist of some sorts building up resistance to pepper spray by digesting the milder stuff? :-) I mean i'd like to see a video of a police officers face after spraying you and you asking for more, but this time straight into your mouth :mrgreen: Oops this was unintentionally poorly worded and as such a funneee Freudian slip so i didn't correct the previous sentence for giggles. I meant spraying you with 5.5+ million SHU police grade pepper spray.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Timko » Wed Nov 23, 2011 8:30 am

Rye basically finishes quicker and neater than corn whiskey. Bourbon has that long, slow, sweet burn while rye finishes more like scotch. In cocktails, rye is great when you want complex flavors without them being dominated by whiskey.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby Apothecary » Wed Nov 23, 2011 11:41 pm

jap whisky or die. cant beat a nice yamazaki or hibiki.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby JR » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:00 am

I like both of those, but for my palate there are way better whiskies out there. For great price to taste ratio have any of you guys tried cask strength Amrut from India? Not on par with the best Scottish ones, but heads and shoulders over many single malts and most (every?) blended ones.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Apothecary » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:51 am

jr: renforcing the reality that he has horrid taste...on a daily basis.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby JHern » Thu Nov 24, 2011 3:11 am

I love whiskey, almost as much as I love beer. Scotch is the best, I like all varieties, from Oban for a flowery delicate treat, to Ardbeg for a wonderful peaty snort. Also love Japanese whiskey, some bourbons, etc..
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby jtkustomizer » Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:33 pm

I personally drink evan williams as my mixer with the cheap walmart pop twist up. My neighbor got me started drinking because it used to be his drink of choice but now he works for standard beverage and cannot buy anything that he does not sell. Good thing about that is now he brings home all kinds of different drinks. My personal favorite has got to be tullamore dew. Have not bought any because he always has some to sip on. His mixer now is knob creek and diet 7up. Every once and a while he wants some of my evan for old times sake. It seems like every time I go over there I try some thing new but there has been so many I can't remember them all there have been some fine tasting drinks and as I get older and wiser I think I could become a whiskey bourbon and scotch taster.
Destroyer, Firebird, Teebird, Valkryie, FLX Drone, Buzzz, Impact and Warlock
jtkustomizer
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: www.gorilla-boy.com

Postby keltik » Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:10 pm

Evan williams and egg nog for me today. Happy thanksgiving! Bitches
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Apothecary » Thu Nov 24, 2011 2:31 pm

early times for me today. drunk-proof bottles, ftw.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Postby mark12b » Thu Nov 24, 2011 6:17 pm

Shot of Maker's a few minutes ago
mark12b
1000 Rated Poster

Postby veganray » Thu Nov 24, 2011 7:30 pm

Ardbeg mega sampler: Blasda, Uigeadail, Alligator, Corryvreckan, Supernova. I officially have the coolest in-laws evah!

Happy Thanksgiving, bitches.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby badfinger » Thu Nov 24, 2011 10:42 pm

15yr Red Breast Irish

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
badfinger
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Eagle

Postby JR » Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:28 am

badfinger wrote:15yr Red Breast Irish

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

I think i've only had some younger and can't recall the age, 10? 12? years old. OK but too immature and needs to lose water to get as good as it could. so a 15 might be all right. The younger one is good value for money though.

Congratulations Ray!

Somehow i am not surprised, that apoth is content with good, but not great products. Different tastes and shit.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby garublador » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:18 am

Timko wrote:and feel the best bang for the buck is the Bullit Rye.
I just came here to thank you for this recommendation. Templeton is a bit more complex and interesting but I like the flavors in Bulleit Rye a bit better. They're also selling Templeton for $50 a bottle at most places here when you can find it and the Bulleit is only $30.

I also got a bottle of Bowmore 12 year for Christmas and I've been really happy with it. It's not as smokey and peaty as Laphroaig 10 year (the only other Islay I've tried), but it still has those same types of flavors. It's more balanced and easier to drink. It's a scotch I'd drink when I want something decent but don't want to have to feel like I should be concentrating on contemplating the complex flavors.

I also found a bottle of Michael Collins 10 year single malt. I've been looking for it for a few months now, ever since I tried it in Vegas last summer. I've heard lots of good things and remember liking it, but for some reason I don't remember exactly what it tastes like. ;)
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Timko » Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:16 am

I got a bottle of High West Mountain Distillery Double Rye. It's a 2 year rye combined with a 16 year. As a cocktail mixer, it's perfect; it's combination of smooth and spicy flavors makes great whiskey drinks.
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

PreviousNext

Return to Off-Topic, Miscellaneous, etc.