Roottori's bag

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Roottori's bag, need some advice!

Postby Roottori » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:32 am

I bought two new discs today; Champion Teebird 173g and Z Comet 175g. I'll give them some throws tomorrow when I go to Lauste disc golf park. I'll let you know how do they work for me. =)
Roottori
Noob

Favorite Disc: Comet

Re: Roottori's bag, need some advice!

Postby Karhumies » Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:51 pm

We seem to be approximately on the same skill/snap level.

How has the Predator + River driver combo been working for you? I am looking for an overstable driver to compliment my current lineup.
Karhumies
Noob

Favorite Disc: Leopard

Re: Roottori's bag

Postby Roottori » Sun Jan 08, 2012 4:22 am

I've made a few new purchases and changed my bag a little, so I'll give you an update. My bag is getting its shape quite well and I think I'm almost ready with it. So, here's the bag:

Putters:

S Transparent Ion 174g, main putter
S Transparent Ion 174g, another putter
S Ion 174g, approaches and drives, especially in the woods
M Ion 172g, approaches and drives

Midranges:

Dx Roc 175g, starting to cycle these
Dx Roc 175g, -II-
Dx Roc 175g, -II-

Z Comet 175g, anhyzers and touch shots, until I beat up one of my Rocs enough

Drivers:

Dx Leopard 173g, beating this up into a roller disc
Pro Leopard 170g, waiting this one to beat into a nice turnover disc
Pro Leopard 175g, same as above but a tad more HSS

Dx Teebird 172g, straight drives
Champion Teebird, straight drives with more fade

Z Predator 173g, straight drives with big fade, skip shots, spike hyzers, overhand

So, that's my bag. Only thing I don't have is a distance driver, but I'm not sure if should even use that kind of disc yet. I can throw Leopards and Teebirds consistently 300', best throws are about 330'. What do you guys think about this distance driver thingy?
Roottori
Noob

Postby Steve » Sun Jan 08, 2012 3:13 pm

Distance drivers aren't "bad" but I would stick to speed 9 and under till you are getting them out to 400'. Valkyries, PDs and Orions are great up to 400' with great control.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Roottori » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:56 pm

Thanks for your input!

I'd be interested to try those Orions, but I have no experience with Millenium. So, would OLF do the job in two different plastics, Millenium and Quantum for example?
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:52 am

I would relax the recommendation by steve to lesser distances at least in drives that need to fade hard. Orions in Sirius vary according to which run they belong to and i just ordered my first Q so i don't know. Milleniums will break into flippier discs filling a different role. The only MOLF i have is 165 i think and at that weight it is definitely for a more understable role than my SOLF from run 1.1
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Steve » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:41 pm

The olf could do the whole range of distance duties if you had the right ones. Olfs fly like long distance eagles and can be cycled in a similar manner. I would go M and S to start and as the S gets straighter add in a Q for the overstable role. Right now I am using a beat S for straight/understable and a new Q for overstable.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby turso » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:55 pm

What did you do with your rivers? If you still have them I'd be happy to trade/buy them off you.
Frank Delicious wrote:Every groove is a unique snowflake of suck.

NOS, PD, River, Roc3, Comet, Trident, Mercy, JOKERi, XXX
turso
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: My first putter

Postby Roottori » Mon May 07, 2012 2:20 am

Time for a little update, this is my bag now:

175g Eclipse Medium Ion
175g Eclipse Medium Ion

171g Textured bottom Medium Ion
174g Soft Ion

167g X Comet
175g Z Comet
175g Dx Roc
175g Dx Roc

173g Dx Leopard
175g Pro Leopard
172g Dx Teebird
175g Echo Star Teebird
167g Star Teebird
173g Z Predator
173g Z Predator

I feel pretty comfortable with this set up and I think I have almost all shots covered. I think the only thing I lack is an understable putter (damn indestructible Ions lol). Maybe just a beat up Aviar or something like that?
Roottori
Noob

Roottori's bag

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon May 07, 2012 7:57 am

Beat Aviar PnA's are nice, but in my experience they can take a while to beat in. Have you ever thrown a Magic? I've got one I use as my understable putter (165g). I switched to this from beat DX PnA's and love it. It holds an anny on soft approaches really well, but it's forte is a straight drive that breaks right late in its flight.

What are you throwing for max D? The Star Teebird? If so, that's a mighty fine disc for the job, but if you have room in your bag you could add something faster like a Valkyrie. I'm throwing Valks for max D. They can take a little time to break in with premium plastics, but they stay sweet for a long time.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Roottori » Mon May 07, 2012 8:37 am

Funny you should mention those discs, I've actually been eyeing both of those. I have never thrown either of them, but I think I'll give them a try. Magic sounds just like what I've been looking for. Ions are great for anything else, but they are too overstable for those short, soft anhyzer approaches.

There is plenty of room in my Revo Carolina, so I can easily put in another disc or two. I see you're throwing Valk in Star and Champion, which one do you prefer? What I've read about Valks, Champions are usually a bit domier than Stars and they glide better, so based on that Champions would perhaps be better for max distance?
Roottori
Noob

Postby JR » Mon May 07, 2012 12:31 pm

Star Valks fade harder and fade out early cutting D. Champion is straighter and longer. I use a Star Aviar P & A for tight turns that need the disc to slow down and drop and Spike for longer no fear of skipping too far quick turns. Spike is so long that it overlaps with a Coyote on that line. Magic is tall and may stick to the fingers. New Star Sidewinders and Rivers fly far because they don't fade out hard. Beast is the next step. Or GL flatter not so high PLH Flows. I don't own gummy S TDs but they might work too. Stiffer S TDs are more HSS and power hungry and if i understand correctly less fading.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon May 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Roottori wrote:Funny you should mention those discs, I've actually been eyeing both of those. I have never thrown either of them, but I think I'll give them a try. Magic sounds just like what I've been looking for. Ions are great for anything else, but they are too overstable for those short, soft anhyzer approaches.

There is plenty of room in my Revo Carolina, so I can easily put in another disc or two. I see you're throwing Valk in Star and Champion, which one do you prefer? What I've read about Valks, Champions are usually a bit domier than Stars and they glide better, so based on that Champions would perhaps be better for max distance?

Go find a Magic that feels good in your hands. They vary sooo much from run to run, even if you have two that say "Super Soft". They are great understable putters.

I technically throw Star Valks. I bought three from the same run that are a champion/star blend, hence "champystar". See pic below...they are see-through in the light, so they are not a pure star blend. Basically, they have excellent grip, lots of glide, and seem to be pretty durable so far. I'm still waiting for one to break in to it's sweet spot, and then cycle them in from there. If you can't find anything like this, I would just look for a Champ or Star in the weight range you want...just be careful not to get any of the plus mold Champ Valks. There could be a difference between champ and star, like JR said, but I think if you just stick with one for a while it will work for you. They can't be too different.

Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby JR » Tue May 08, 2012 1:39 am

Fightingthetide wrote:
Roottori wrote:Funny you should mention those discs, I've actually been eyeing both of those. I have never thrown either of them, but I think I'll give them a try. Magic sounds just like what I've been looking for. Ions are great for anything else, but they are too overstable for those short, soft anhyzer approaches.

Go find a Magic that feels good in your hands. They vary sooo much from run to run, even if you have two that say "Super Soft". They are great understable putters.

I technically throw Star Valks. I bought three from the same run that are a champion/star blend, hence "champystar". See pic below...they are see-through in the light, so they are not a pure star blend. Basically, they have excellent grip, lots of glide, and seem to be pretty durable so far. I'm still waiting for one to break in to it's sweet spot, and then cycle them in from there. If you can't find anything like this, I would just look for a Champ or Star in the weight range you want...just be careful not to get any of the plus mold Champ Valks. There could be a difference between champ and star, like JR said, but I think if you just stick with one for a while it will work for you. They can't be too different.

Unfortunately the Star i have is like a disc for a different role vs my champs. Star is moderately overstable and the Champ is straightish.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby NeuralBlaze » Sat May 12, 2012 1:43 pm

I'll second the Magic recommendation, I have a few in SS and SSS I'd be willing to loan or trade, as I'm moving more towards the Anode now. If you haven't checked out the Anode I'd highly recommend it, especially if you like the Ions.

Haha, and FTT answered my question from the other thready about champystar...probably was answered in that thread too, I just jumped to the last few pages...
Wizard // JOKERi // Anode // Fuse // Axis // Vector // Firebird // Amp // River // PD
NeuralBlaze
Noob

Favorite Disc: PD

PreviousNext

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion