9 Disc bag, Need midrange and approach help.

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

9 Disc bag, Need midrange and approach help.

Postby Danforth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:45 am

Not too long ago, I picked up a Ching Jam bag and I was stoked to find out I could fit 9 discs in there.

So my set up for this bag, ATM is:

2 175g SS Voodoos
175g M Voodoo
177g Z Buzzz
150 Champ Leo
2 170g Star T-birds
175g Star FB
166g Star SL

My question is, do you think I should switch the M Voodoo for a beefy Wiz?

And, do you think I should swap the Buzz for something either more stable or less stable?
VoodooWizardBuzzLeoT-BirdFirebirdProSF

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TeeChicken

Re: 9 Disc bag, Need midrange and approach help.

Postby kern9787 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:06 am

I've never been a buzz thrown, so I could be mistaken, but my impression of it is that it is not as versatile as other mids (although it is really good at what it is meant for). Do you feel like a buzz can cover all of the midrange shots you need it to?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Danforth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:15 am

kern9787 wrote:I've never been a buzz thrown, so I could be mistaken, but my impression of it is that it is not as versatile as other mids (although it is really good at what it is meant for). Do you feel like a buzz can cover all of the midrange shots you need it to?

No, I want a mid that can cover more shits because the Z Buzz mostly goes straight. I can't get it to hold annies, but if i switch to a worn D or X buzz, I lose the ability to hold hyzers into the wind.

I'm thinking a flex shot mid might be more useful but few come to mind. most mids are either flippy or beefy.

What about a worn in M Sent? would that make a better GP Mid?

OK, at this point I'm wondering how many people will suggest a Beat Rancho Roc. :lol:

"Hitler and Mussolini were only the primary spokesmen for the attitude of domination and craving for power that are in the heart of almost everyone. Until the source is cleared, there will always be confusion and hate, wars and class antagonisms." - Jiddu Krishnamurti
Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby kern9787 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:24 pm

It sounds like you are wanting one mid to do it all. You could do it with one mold, but it would be tough to do with one disc. If you are set on going with one mid, a dx roc would be better for working lines. At the same time you likely won't need 3 putters, 2 should be fine though (if you aren't comfortable driving with the same one you putt with).

As for the idea of multiple mids, you could compliment your buzz with something more stable, or you could pair up something you can work on different lines with something stable enough to use in the wind (comet, seasoned/beat roc, axis, maybe fuse + wasp, hornet, new roc, vector). What do you usually use for midranges in a full size bag?
P2 - Fuse - ROCS!!! - QJLS - QPLS - QOLS - PD - Predator - Quasar
kern9787
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:47 pm

If you want a do-it-all mid, get an MD2. My flat, opaque, pink 180 C MD2 is my go-to mid, and my flat 174 P MD2 is my touch mid. They hold anny's like a pro, fly on a super-straight flat line, and wont flip from a hyzer under 300'.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Danforth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:52 pm

kern9787 wrote:It sounds like you are wanting one mid to do it all. You could do it with one mold, but it would be tough to do with one disc. If you are set on going with one mid, a dx roc would be better for working lines. At the same time you likely won't need 3 putters, 2 should be fine though (if you aren't comfortable driving with the same one you putt with).

I have 2 putters in case I lose 1 (happened to me before) The SS Voodoo is a great putter for me but it only drives straight, even with a ton of hyzer, it hardly fades at full power. I always have a need for a short range disc that will fade that won't overshoot the target. I have a D Drone I could throw in the bag, but that's going to a bit of an extreme.

As for the idea of multiple mids, you could compliment your buzz with something more stable, or you could pair up something you can work on different lines with something stable enough to use in the wind (comet, seasoned/beat roc, axis, maybe fuse + wasp, hornet, new roc, vector). What do you usually use for midranges in a full size bag?

OK, the: axis, fuse, hornet, new roc and vector are all discs I've never thrown and know little about. Why no love for the Sentinel?

I usually use mids for long aproaches that I would have to put too much power on a putter to reach accurately, and off the T on shorter holes. Honestly, I don't use mids that much. I drive from the T with a fairway driver, and if I'm not in putting range, I approach with my putter 90% of the time.

I'm looking for a mid(s) that will do shots that my drivers won't.

Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Danforth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 12:54 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:If you want a do-it-all mid, get an MD2. My flat, opaque, pink 180 C MD2 is my go-to mid, and my flat 174 P MD2 is my touch mid. They hold anny's like a pro, fly on a super-straight flat line, and wont flip from a hyzer under 300'.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Do they fly anything like the Gremlin?

Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:22 pm

to me the MD2 flies more like the Buzzz. why don't you take out some drivers?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Dec 05, 2011 2:45 pm

keltik wrote:to me the MD2 flies more like the Buzzz.

Same range, better control on different lines.

Danforth wrote:
Fightingthetide wrote:If you want a do-it-all mid, get an MD2. My flat, opaque, pink 180 C MD2 is my go-to mid, and my flat 174 P MD2 is my touch mid. They hold anny's like a pro, fly on a super-straight flat line, and wont flip from a hyzer under 300'.

Hmm, sounds interesting. Do they fly anything like the Gremlin?

Nope. From what I know about GM's, MD2's have more glide and range and are less stable but still able to handle wind incredibly well. I would say in some ways (not all) that the GM is to MD2 as the Eagle-x is to the Teebird - you certainly could use both in your bag, but the overlap is pretty big.

On the fairway yesterday (second shot) I easily put my MD2 around 300' on a subtle turnover line and parked a 620' par 4 hole for a birdie.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby money 21 » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:17 pm

i would drop the m voodoo and power down the z buzz for those shots. then add a x buzz. the rest of the bag looks great to me and very similar to mine.
ringer, aero, breaker, glide, sabre, valk, avenger, flick, helios, teedevil, halo
i have seen monkey sh!t fights at the zoo more orginized then this.
money 21
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Z XS

Postby Danforth » Mon Dec 05, 2011 4:25 pm

keltik wrote:to me the MD2 flies more like the Buzzz. why don't you take out some drivers?

Because my 4 drivers cover the basic shots in DG very well. Leo for turnovers and downwind, T-bird for most shots (slightly overstable) F-bird for hooks and headwinds and the SL for flex shots/line carving. Those are my go to discs I can't be without.

Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Fightingthetide » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:47 pm

I see why you would want those drivers in there. I think you should have 12 discs that you interchange depending on the course. That way you can have a bag centered on mids and a bag centered on drivers, picking 9 from your stack. Pick up an X Buzzz to compliment your Z, or get some MD2's. I would say do one of those two things if Rocs are not your preferred mid.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:00 pm

Danforth wrote:
keltik wrote:to me the MD2 flies more like the Buzzz. why don't you take out some drivers?

Because my 4 drivers cover the basic shots in DG very well. Leo for turnovers and downwind, T-bird for most shots (slightly overstable) F-bird for hooks and headwinds and the SL for flex shots/line carving. Those are my go to discs I can't be without.

you could get an Eagle-L and an Eagle-X and have all of that covered.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Postby Steve » Mon Dec 05, 2011 9:07 pm

A mid that gets overlooked by everyone around the boards but can do it all is the shark. It is a great line carver and accurate approach disc as well. It will work well off the tee on holes under 300'. It can also be easily found in multiple plastics (champ is getting harder to find) at almost any DG store.
Steve
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: OLF

Postby Danforth » Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:09 pm

keltik wrote:
Danforth wrote:

you could get an Eagle-L and an Eagle-X and have all of that covered.

Finding Eagle-X's that are as beefy as a Firebird isn't easy. AFAIK, is was only certian runs of 11x's that were as overstable as a FB.

Danforth
Fairway Surgeon

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion