Newbie question re: driving approach

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Newbie question re: driving approach

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Mon Sep 20, 2004 7:31 am

I've just recently gotten into disc golf and I love it. I've been driving RHBH with a 4-step approach that doesn't involve any leg-crossing or X-steps. I realize that I can't turn as far or reach as far back when using this type of approach, but I am able to keep my eyes on the target all the way through.

Under calm conditions, my drives are typically in the 300-325 ft range using the aforementioned approach. My accuracy is also fairly good. I'm regularly beating friends of mine who have played a lot longer due to the fact that my drives usually end up in a pretty decent location.

However, like every disc golfer, I'm looking to get more distance on my drives, and I know that my technique leaves much to be desired. I've watched some video studies of big drivers, and I see that all of them use an X-step in their approach. I've spent the past few days practicing this type of approach, with mixed results.

I'm having a very difficult time staying accurate while turning my head away from the target. Every now and then I'll shoot one out there 350-375 feet, but many times I'm way left or way right. I can't even get a consistant angle of release. Instead of launching a nice line drive every time, I'll occasionally uncork one at much too high of an angle.

Should I just tough it out and assume that my accuracy will get better with practice, or for now should I just stay with what feels comfortable to me?
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Postby Blake_T » Mon Sep 20, 2004 9:05 am

it's mainly about practice and building confidence.

i recommend picking a part of your body to aim with vs. your eyes. i actually turn my head away during the reach back to make sure that it doesn't restrict my movement. pick a focal point you are trying to hit, start with your aim pointed at it (for me this is my right shoulder), and focus on hitting that focal point.

as for popping discs up, chances are you are letting your left shoulder drop during the rotation. also, if you do turn away, you have to make sure you still finish just as strong....

as for staying with what feels comfortable vs. changing. it depends on how far you want to go with disc golf. without the upper body rotation, chances are you will not be getting maximum D. if you are content with this, then there is no reason to change. if you want to be throwing 400+, then you'll have to sacrifice short run consistency for long run success.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby UpFromTheAshes » Thu Sep 30, 2004 5:40 pm

UPDATE:

I decided to stick with it for more D, and it's going much better. My accuracy is much improved, and the last two times I've practiced have yielded longer throws than I've ever had before.

I think the problem that I was having with popups was caused by me actually dropping the height of the disc when I reached back. When I've focused on keeping the disc fairly high during my reachback, it's allowed to pull through on a level line that translates into a nice level drive.

Thanks for your help, Blake!
UpFromTheAshes
Noob

Favorite Disc: 1st run CE Valk

Return to Technique