"Happy Endings" controversy

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: "Happy Endings" controversy

Postby juju » Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Does this thread come with a happy ending?
juju
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: First Run Buzzz

Postby pappabear » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:10 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:So when did proper grammar and punctuation start taking more work than incorrect? It doesn't save you any time or thought to riddle your post with comma splices and when you know the rules of writing you do them automatically.

The forum rules obv need to be revised to reflect your need for punctuation. What I do, and what you do are obv much different. For a biz letter I make sure everything reads right, for an online disc golf forum I don't. I'm glad to have have you guys available to proof my posts, and attack them.
Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness" So I got that goin for me, which is nice
pappabear
Noob

Favorite Disc: challenger

Postby Hoey » Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:32 pm

juju wrote:Does this thread come with a happy ending?

Definitely not.

Definitely, definitely... definitely not.
Throw discs, and forget about life for awhile...
Hoey
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: fuse

Postby jsun3thousand » Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:30 pm

regardless of p-bear's communication skills, i'm still thoroughly confused by how this was an awesome marketing idea. a bunch of people getting pissed at a product is good marketing? having your product look stupid is good marketing? or is it the ~6k views of the nate and val apology? maybe i don't get "e,marketing" and that's why i use spam filters.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby ATL Scott » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:08 pm

What pappabear, is saying, is clearly correct, and you guys are too, concerned, with, puntuation, to really get, how the internet, works,

If you watch fight club backward you see a psychologically troubled man become a successful and productive member of society.
ATL Scott
Noob

Favorite Disc: ching rocs

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:46 pm

what does a pic of mike rowe have to do with anything scott?
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby ATL Scott » Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:59 pm

Frank Delicious wrote:what does a pic of mike rowe have to do with anything scott?

You must have your beer goggles on. :crazy:
If you watch fight club backward you see a psychologically troubled man become a successful and productive member of society.
ATL Scott
Noob

Favorite Disc: ching rocs

Postby jenb » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:18 pm

Is that show still on?

:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby Frank Delicious » Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:22 pm

Dirty Jobs is still on.
Frank Delicious
The Crime Prince of Clown

Favorite Disc: Wraith

Postby garublador » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:05 am

Frank Delicious wrote:Dirty Jobs is still on.
Dirty "Jobs" and "Happy Endings" should do a crossover show.
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby veganray » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:57 am

They are doing so. Frank has just completed pappabear's e,marketing training & is now expertly sucking all 13 people on this forum into watching it.
Ryen91 wrote:I am pretty sure I am more intelligent then you think and have allot more knowledge then your post might suggest.

Cheers & chings!
Vegan Ray
formerly #21579
veganray
Plastic Fondler

Favorite Disc: DX Gremlin

Postby Leopard » Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:00 pm

e,marketing:
D.E.N.N.I.S.
ending happily
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby pappabear » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:06 pm

jsun3thousand wrote:regardless of p-bear's communication skills, i'm still thoroughly confused by how this was an awesome marketing idea. a bunch of people getting pissed at a product is good marketing? having your product look stupid is good marketing? or is it the ~6k views of the nate and val apology? maybe i don't get "e,marketing" and that's why i use spam filters.

Its all about exposure,here are some examples of that, there was the episode of "happy endings" on a top 3 network, followed by disc golfers getting inflammed, and damn near patriotic about defending their sport, the happy endings "apology" story was picked up by cnn, and several other major media outlets, then there was nate and vals apology, which generated a small amount of interest also, to have exposure on so many levels is a huge marketing win, This thread is proof of that. It generated interest, got exposure, the show, which is a comedy (so of course they made fun of dg, for a joke to be funny someone has to be made fun of) , got to make a few jokes, and also got exposure from this with demographics that they are lookin to hit. Marketing isn't about making disc golfers happy, its about new people finding out about the sport. If your pissed about the way the pdga, or abc handled this you've missed the entire point. It was good for the sport, I hope more shows take shots at disc golf, maybe then people might know what it is. Right now most of the people I meet have no idea. Exposing the sport to the masses will lead to futher growth of the sport, I'm not trying to be insulting, or start an arguement, I'm just saying, this is how it works, I know because I do it for a living, I'm not going to defend my position, or my grammar... take it for what it is worth
Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness" So I got that goin for me, which is nice
pappabear
Noob

Favorite Disc: challenger

Postby Apothecary » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:21 pm

no such thing as bad exposure. i agree with pbears assessment. no way in hell i would be aware of the show without the hullabaloo. now i am tangentially aware of it.

not ever going to watch it, but i have a story to tell about it if the topic ever arises at a cocktail party. seems like a marketing win to me.
Last edited by Apothecary on Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.
Apothecary
Freaky Jesus

Favorite Disc: Ion/Comet

Postby Leopard » Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:32 pm

These guys make an excellent point. The PDGA is absolutely sophisticated enough in their marketing to play this little chess match, and ABC really pinned their meters with all that attention they got from the internet disc golf community.

What a ruse!
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion