"Happy Endings" controversy

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: "Happy Endings" controversy

Postby mobster » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:31 pm

pappabear wrote:It was good for the sport,

I still don't agree that it's "good for the sport" when any media attention on the issue just shows that disc golfers whiny little piss-heads. I'll compare it to Jack in the Box restaurants; it's almost been 20 years since their E. coli problem (and four children dying) and yet it's still the only thing we Easterners know about the chain.
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby jsun3thousand » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:04 pm

Leopard wrote:These guys make an excellent point. The PDGA is absolutely sophisticated enough in their marketing to play this little chess match, and ABC really pinned their meters with all that attention they got from the internet disc golf community.

What a ruse!

mobster wrote:
pappabear wrote:It was good for the sport,

I still don't agree that it's "good for the sport" when any media attention on the issue just shows that disc golfers whiny little piss-heads. I'll compare it to Jack in the Box restaurants; it's almost been 20 years since their E. coli problem (and four children dying) and yet it's still the only thing we Easterners know about the chain.

Has anybody heard from Casey Anthony lately? She must be blowing it up because there is no such thing as bad exposure.
Scooot_er wrote:And disc golfers aren't always the smartest bunch.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Favorite Disc: #63

Postby colombo117 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 9:26 pm

Different. Her and the Jack in the box analogy are not accurate because in both cases people were harmed. I do not see the poking fun at discgolf as harmful, but see it has exposure that makes the sport more mainstream. Same stuff happened with skaters, they were portrayed as slackers. Still are, but skating has become more popular than baseball in some respects.
Ion Challenger Roc EL/EX QJLS Valkyrie Predator
colombo117
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Challenger

Postby mobster » Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:13 am

More people are skating because of the X-Games, not because people called them slackers. Although, never-ending portrayal of disc golfers as stoners probably increased the sports popularity.
mobster
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Nuke SS

Postby Triflusal » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:48 am

pappabear wrote:
jsun3thousand wrote:regardless of p-bear's communication skills, i'm still thoroughly confused by how this was an awesome marketing idea. a bunch of people getting pissed at a product is good marketing? having your product look stupid is good marketing? or is it the ~6k views of the nate and val apology? maybe i don't get "e,marketing" and that's why i use spam filters.

Its all about exposure,here are some examples of that, there was the episode of "happy endings" on a top 3 network, followed by disc golfers getting inflammed, and damn near patriotic about defending their sport, the happy endings "apology" story was picked up by cnn, and several other major media outlets, then there was nate and vals apology, which generated a small amount of interest also, to have exposure on so many levels is a huge marketing win, This thread is proof of that. It generated interest, got exposure, the show, which is a comedy (so of course they made fun of dg, for a joke to be funny someone has to be made fun of) , got to make a few jokes, and also got exposure from this with demographics that they are lookin to hit. Marketing isn't about making disc golfers happy, its about new people finding out about the sport. If your pissed about the way the pdga, or abc handled this you've missed the entire point. It was good for the sport, I hope more shows take shots at disc golf, maybe then people might know what it is. Right now most of the people I meet have no idea. Exposing the sport to the masses will lead to futher growth of the sport, I'm not trying to be insulting, or start an arguement, I'm just saying, this is how it works, I know because I do it for a living, I'm not going to defend my position, or my grammar... take it for what it is worth

bro you obviously don't know what the PDGA is capable of. i heard they have like a 100$ billion internet marketing budget
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Postby 7ontheline » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:47 pm

I think VR's "controversy" title is the only marketing win here, I watched the hilarious episode and having just read pappa's necromantic thread revival have decided that I hate Ray for his devious influence,
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Postby jsun3thousand » Thu Dec 15, 2011 6:14 pm

ray has a couple street degrees in "e,marketing"." he'll cut a motherfucker.
jsun3thousand
wants to be the president of the don zimmer memorial charity foundation of america inc

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 7:38 pm

jsun3thousand wrote:ray has a couple street degrees in "e,marketing"." he'll get a motherfucker to ASK to be cut.

fixed

the true measure of good marketing is not that the guy knows about stabbing, it's that he needs to be stabbed and doesn't know why.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby Leopard » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:02 pm

also my final opinion on this:

- awareness first, perception later -- this was a step forward for disc golf

- nobody at the pdga is smart enough to play it that way -- they did get bamboozled

- gunning at DG for viewership would get any television professional fired -- that's just idiotic, we're tiny.
Leopard
Forward Visualyzer

Favorite Disc: Leo

Postby jsun3thousand » Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:39 pm

i learned something today.
jsun3thousand

Postby Parks » Sun Dec 18, 2011 4:52 am

I heard that Happy Gilmore was a poor portrayal of both hockey and golf.

Fuck that movie.
We're at our best when it's from our hips
Parks
1000 Rated Poster

Postby pappabear » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:46 am

Parks wrote:I heard that Happy Gilmore was a poor portrayal of both hockey and golf.

Fuck that movie.

That was hillarious
Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness" So I got that goin for me, which is nice
pappabear
Noob

Favorite Disc: challenger

Postby pappabear » Sun Dec 18, 2011 12:35 pm

Leopard wrote:
jsun3thousand wrote:ray has a couple street degrees in "e,marketing"." he'll get a motherfucker to ASK to be cut.

fixed

the true measure of good marketing is not that the guy knows about stabbing, it's that he needs to be stabbed and doesn't know why.

That's true, and funny, kudos sir
Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness" So I got that goin for me, which is nice
pappabear
Noob

Favorite Disc: challenger

Postby 7ontheline » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:27 am

^^^ just got stabbed and doesn't know why... good fix Leo.

I'd bet j99%ofthesolarsystemsmass wasn't expecting that you'd catch a bear in that obvious trap.
Magic / Judge / PA2 - Tursas / QMS / Buzzz / Mace - QJ / E / F - Renegade / O / D1

JHern wrote:If your putter isn't your favorite disc, get a new putter.
7ontheline
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Judge

Previous

Return to General Discussion