Star TL vs. Sabre vs. ???

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Star TL vs. Sabre vs. ???

Postby jiwaburst » Mon Mar 27, 2006 4:40 pm

Here's my situation, I need a driver that doesn't fade as hard as my Star TeeBird, but isn't too touchy in light-moderate wind.

It needs to be something I can throw low and hard, essentially AT the pin in the forest.

I am not likely to buy a whole bunch of discs in the next few months, so want to get as close as possible to this line with my next disc.

I naturally think of the TL because I already use the Star TeeBird as a workhorse driver. I am not too famililar with the older generation of drivers, so maybe a Leopard or a Gazelle or a cyclone is what I want.

I like what I've heard about the Sabre and also what I've seen of the Squall.

Advice on this disc?
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby jiwaburst » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:05 pm

oh, I should mention that I normally use a 166 cheetah for these shots, but it is just too squirrelly in the wind and with my level of snap. Goes up, down, right, with a decent gust. With no wind however it is my finese it anywhere disc.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Postby Jwt4412 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:18 pm

Hybrid
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Solty » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:24 pm

champ teebird....i found them a lil less stable than its Star counterpart...
Solty
Site Admin - Behind The Scenes

Favorite Disc: Rancho Roc

Postby Thatdirtykid » Mon Mar 27, 2006 5:40 pm

the gazelle or cyclone sounds they would work for you. The tl wont handle the wind too great, and the sabre isnt best for forest because it wont travel too long on a low line (w/ o height you can throw midranges just as long). Hybrid sounds like it would work pretty well aslo, it would handle the wind well, and is supposed to have teebird stability, but I believe it is supposed to have a bit of fade until broken in. (I would like a hybrid...).

edit: the leapord is less stable than the cheetah thus very bad in the wind.
Z Pred-ESP Cyclone-Z Force-Z Aftershock-Z Comet-Ion-Pro Rhyno
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Favorite Disc: z pred

Postby bigs348 » Mon Mar 27, 2006 8:54 pm

The TL is a great disc and I use it a lot for my low, straight, wooded shots. I got a Star a couple weeks ago and I love it, but I've been using the Pros for a while now and they have very similar flights for being different plastics.

The Sabre is super straight but isn't good for low shots, the Hybrid (new) I think is way too overstable for that type of shot, but I think you'd be happy with the TL.

I also use Pro Line (CE) Beasts for low ceiling wood shots, but these are broken in to perfect and hard to find, so I can't really recommend them so much.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:26 am

are they ce beasts or proline beasts? :lol:
if interested I have a 175 proline beast (translucent pearly candy w/ more grip than CE)

Do your TLs handle winds well? I used to throw them for control drivers, yet they werent versitle enough for me in the wind.
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby bigs348 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:45 am

They're the first run of Beasts in candy. Basically the CE plastic, but the stamp says Pro Line, and they're super flat. I think the one you have is probably the same kind. Thanks for the offer, but I bought a bunch up way back when they stopped making them (after I decided I really didn't like the Champ Beasts), and I really hardly use them anymore.

The TLs aren't great into the wind at all. I use them mostly for the woods, so I don't have a lot of problems, but I'll use a CFR TL when I want more stability. Even the CFRs aren't that good into the wind, but they work a lot better than Pro or Star and I'll usually just release with a bit more hyzer.
"a man is a success if he gets up in the morning and he gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do."
-- bob dylan
bigs348
Fairway Surgeon

Postby TexasOutlaw » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:17 am

A cyclone or tracker would work; if you need more beef, x avenger.
TexasOutlaw
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Jwt4412 » Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:30 am

I agree on the Tracker but an Avenger?

I really can't throw an Avenger "straight"...

I can throw a Hybrid or a Tracker low and straight but an Avenger - I need more space up and to the right.

But that is me.
Jwt4412
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: DGA D-Line Reef

Postby Blake_T » Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:10 am

the disc you are describing is a broken in dx driver that was stable to slightly overstable when new.

star discs are generally very gyroscopic and therefore will have a lot of fade at the end.

a disc like a cyclone or gazelle will handle a headwind pretty decently if you throw it hyzer, and they will handle it much better than a disc like a valk, viking, etc. i would keep a dx teebird in mind as well.

any disc that has very little fade when new will get flippy quickly.
Blake_T
Super Sekret Technique Jedi

Postby garublador » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:06 am

What about a DX Teebird?
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby adidadg » Tue Mar 28, 2006 10:51 am

I find my QJLS to be a very straight disc from start to finish. It is high speed stable and can handle a light headwind, and has little fade when it flys flat. Its one of those discs that will only turnover when I want it too, I can throw it in most conditions with total confidence. Ive always thought the QJLS is a good disc for those who find Champ/Star Teebirds to be too overstable. Although I am sure a DX teebird would fit that description very well too as long as you dont mind sacrificing some durability.
adidadg

Postby Thatdirtykid » Tue Mar 28, 2006 12:42 pm

that sacrificed durability is almost a plus here (even though youre in the woods) because most slower drivers lose a bit of fade once they start getting worn. Have fun breaking in the champ version of any disc to that stage ;-)
Thatdirtykid
Disc Whore

Postby jiwaburst » Tue Mar 28, 2006 7:40 pm

thank you all for your quick input, this is a very cool community indeed.

I'll see what I can find local and will try and borrow some of those discs for pratice throws. It's probably a good idea to get a DX TeeBird again anyways, but I'd have to order one, no one has one to trade, and nobody carries them in our podunk area.

It's hard to resist the urge to buy one of everything, and I guess that's where there are more new disc companies and not fewer.
jiwaburst
Tree Magnet

Next

Return to Equipment