best golf cities?

Give your questions or comments on your favorite or least favorite courses, locations, etc.

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: best golf cities?

Postby Nick M » Thu May 05, 2011 8:11 pm

Mr. Plow wrote:I've heard great things about Minneapolis, but have yet to get up there for dg. It's on my list though.

You heard right. There are courses everywhere. Bryant Lake, Elm Creek, Hyland SSA, Blue Ribbon Pines, Kaposia, Cp Adams, Oakwood, Basset Creek, Crown College and The Valley dgc are all amazing courses in there own right. There are many more great courses through out the state. Giants Ridge which is about 5 hours from the Twin Cities and close to the North Shore of Lake Superior is on a ski hill and is amazing. St Cloud which is 60-90 minutes north west of the metro has its own bustling disc golf community. There are also great courses just across the border in Wisconsin. If you get a chance to check out the Twin Cities disc golf scene you need to do so. Don't forget to visit Gotta Go Gotta Throw and check out all the gear and plastic, you will probably end up running into Blake.
Nick M
Noob

Favorite Disc: Eagle X

Postby vtbuzzz » Fri May 06, 2011 6:58 am

Try mass. Especially worchester. Pyramids, maple hill, and newton hill all within 15 minutes. Plus many more in the area.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby kestes8 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:42 pm

Central Coast California.

Monterey:
Ryan Ranch(home course)
CSUMB Cypress/Oaks
Pinto Lake(north of Monterey)

Santa Cruz:
Del Laveaga(favorite)
Aptos High School

San Francisco:
Golden Gate Park

There may be better individual courses or a better cluster of good courses but you cannot deny the scenic beauty of the area on and off the course.
ESP Nuke - Pro Wraith - CE Teebird - CE Leopard - FLX Buzzz - Z Buzzz - KC Pro Aviar - Yeti Pro Aviar
kestes8
Noob

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby badfinger » Fri Dec 16, 2011 6:04 pm

Portland Oregon has now has multiple great courses in Milo, stubb stewart, hornings, pier, dabney, rooster rock, champoeg (shampooee), and the two courses that feldberg is currntly designing. Stumptown is a great place to toss, and should be experienced by everyone at least once in their lives.

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk
badfinger
Noob

Favorite Disc: CE Eagle

Postby UFO » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:11 pm

I live in Fort Worth (the better half of DFW area, TX) and I think we are only rivaled by CA And FL cities. Within an hour I have a selection of 10 courses, 4 of which are really nice. My home course is starting to get real crowded though, Z boas.

But what really sucks is I am moving and have just gotten back into the sport and realized how much variety we have here. Bout to go start a Houston thread to see if there are any good courses or dudes to play with, I have an addiction to feed.
UFO
Noob

Favorite Disc: the one i lost

Postby Timko » Sat Dec 17, 2011 9:08 am

I realized I never posted what Kansas City has. I'll just stick with the courses the club controls; there we half a dozen 9 holers on school campuses as well as 2 private courses:

Swope
Rosedale Up Top
Prairie Center
Waterworks
WyCo
Cliff Drive
Shawnee Mission Park
Blue Valley
Rosedale Down Under
Pleasent Hill
William Yates
Young Park

Smithville, which is 15 minutes north of KC, just put in 3 courses. I know of 2 other courses that will be in the ground in the next 6 months as well. So we have options here :).
jsun3thousand wrote:Disc golfers are holding the sport back.
Timko
Like Angels Kicking Ass in your Mouth

Postby JHern » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:38 pm

steven wrote:a few of us travel once a year for a discgolf trip. We have hit austin tx, charlotte nc, and just recently, Kansas City, which i thought had the best courses yet. What cities should we add to the list? we need about 5-7 top-notch courses within 45 min or so of the city. Thinking about a trip in late feb. (florida or texas?), and one in late sept. (minneapolis, des moine, back to KC?). any ideas?
thanks

Dude, you haven't even thought about Santa Cruz? Sheesh. If you want a one-way ticket right into the center of the disc golf universe, you should come here. It's a disc golfer's paradise. Nothing else compares.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Torg » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:27 am

vtbuzzz wrote:Try mass. Especially worchester. Pyramids, maple hill, and newton hill all within 15 minutes. Plus many more in the area.

Hmm I have a sister in Worchester. I have been thinking about heading there for a visit. Your post just put it in the probable category.
Torg
Tree Magnet

Postby MikePinchico » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:15 pm

Lake Tahoe:
Tahoe Vista
Squaw Valley
Truckee
Sierra College
Zephyr Cove
Incline Village
Bijou
Kirkwood
Markleeville

169 different holes of greatness.
Always looking for Nukes, Gators, Leopards and Banger GT Pro
MikePinchico
Noob

Favorite Disc: Gator

Postby Spinthrift » Wed Dec 21, 2011 9:56 am

The number of courses in the Charlotte area continues to grow in preparation for the 2012 Worlds. Within 30 minutes of center city Charlotte:

Kilborne (3 layouts)*
Sugaw Creek*
Elon (two courses, 3 layouts)*
Hornet's Nest (2 layouts)*
Nevin (2 layouts)*
Renaissance (2 layouts)*
Eastway (2 layouts)*
Bailey Road*
Scrapyard at Idlewild (2 layouts)*
Bradford (2 layouts)*
R.L. Smith (2 layouts)*
Winget (under construction, winter '12)*
Allison (under construction, winter '12)*
Reedy Creek (2 layouts)
Winthrop (2 layouts)
Boyd Hill
Rankin Lake
Bradley Center
Stumpy Creek
Squirrel Lake (12 holes)
Mint Hill (9 holes)
(* - currently slated for 2012 Pro/Am Worlds)
2012, 2013 PDGA MS1 World Champion
Spinthrift
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Sweet beat Rhyno

Postby steven » Tue Jan 10, 2012 5:24 pm

since last posting we have hit charlotte again, socal, santa cruz.
we will be trying DFW next fall, and Orlando in 2 weeks!!

any tips for orlando?
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

Postby steven » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:29 pm

Orlando was great. The long course at Rock Springs Ridge with the carts was first class, big, great holes. Turkey lake courses are fabulous, and the 2 at Barnett are awesome as well. 80 degrees in the winter. The course at Airport lakes was behind our hotel and surprisingly quality.

thanks for all the info.
YETI - GATOR - ROC - PD - BOSS
steven
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: dx roc

best golf cities?

Postby indiexsunrise » Mon Jun 04, 2012 10:39 pm

curt wrote:I've never actually played there, but Mobile, AL seems to be a pretty popular place for disc golf too. It could be worth checking out.

I'm from Mobile, living in Atlanta now and I go back every few months just to play at the University of South Alabama. It's an amazing course. They have 4 really nice courses in city limits and 3 "private" 9 hole Roc/putter courses. It's definitely worth checking out. And if you ever find yourself in the Atlanta area. Check out Oregon park in Cobb it's great.
indiexsunrise
Noob

Favorite Disc: Roc

Postby bergdawg » Mon Jun 18, 2012 3:34 pm

JHern wrote:
steven wrote:a few of us travel once a year for a discgolf trip. We have hit austin tx, charlotte nc, and just recently, Kansas City, which i thought had the best courses yet. What cities should we add to the list? we need about 5-7 top-notch courses within 45 min or so of the city. Thinking about a trip in late feb. (florida or texas?), and one in late sept. (minneapolis, des moine, back to KC?). any ideas?
thanks

Dude, you haven't even thought about Santa Cruz? Sheesh. If you want a one-way ticket right into the center of the disc golf universe, you should come here. It's a disc golfer's paradise. Nothing else compares.

How many other places can you compare it to?
bergdawg
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: 10M Brick

Postby JHern » Mon Jun 18, 2012 8:36 pm

bergdawg wrote:
JHern wrote:
thanks

How many other places can you compare it to?

He did think of Santa Cruz, so the point of the post was obsolete.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

PreviousNext

Return to Courses