Midrange Range?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Midrange Range?

Postby A buzzz and a beer » Sat Dec 17, 2011 2:54 am

Keep practicing all types of discs. Drive with putters mids and drivers. Just figure out about how far you can throw each. For example my break down is putters to about 250-275, mids 250-325, drivers from 325/350 - 400. I can throw them farther if im in an open field but those are the numbers I go by when I am playing in a tournament on a course I probably have never played.

So for you(if you throw 300 with drivers) throw putters on holes 200 or shorter, mids from 200-250 and drivers from 250-300, something like that. When you do field prac takes turns with the type of discs. I will throw all drivers for a bit, then switch to mids, and then even putters some times. As your power and form get better so will the range you want to throw each type of disc.

*edit.. Also if your on a 400ft hole and want you practice driving with mids there is no problem with just using a mid. It won't go as far, but if you aren't playing a competitive round it really doesn't matter. It will also give you a different type of second shot for that hole that your not use to.
A buzzz and a beer
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JHern » Sat Dec 17, 2011 11:49 pm

I played a 2 disc round (Wizard+Buzzz) at DeLaveaga this afternoon. I like throwing my Buzzz off the tee (it's a spin dominant throwing style, dead straight flight). When I hit the right line, it is devastatingly effective for a large range of shots. I think Eric McCabe demonstrates the potential of that disc, in the hands of a very accurate thrower, very well. (Of course, if I don't hit the line, then it can be really bad since the Buzzz doesn't dump out. That's a criticism Blake has aired in the past, about discs like the Buzzz.) So I shot a +5 for the round, which included 2 ugly (and avoidable) double bogeys (gunning for it when I didn't have to). It's a decent score for this course, and if I wanted to play conservative (on the par train) I would probably think about discing down to one mid and one putter, although I might prefer an aftershock over the Buzzz for that since it is more self-correcting.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:04 pm

zj1002 wrote:try not to get obsessed with reaching these ideal distances.

I could throw a roc 450ft if I aired it out on a big distance line. I remember throwing one 400ft(on a big air shot) a while back with Booter next to me at the Disc Nation driving range(this was before I was throwing 550+). He was pretty much like, "thats nice, but you won't ever be able to do that shot on the course..."

I throw a lot of midranges. I have at least 10 in my bag right now. Just because I can stretch them out in the 350-400ft range, I rarely do. In most cases when the drives start getting in the 350-400ft range, a lot more variables come into play. 350ft is really only realistic when you have a nice wide/open lane and higher ceiling(or short trees).

So basically, just because the sign says 300ft, you shouldn't expect you can throw a midrange to the basket. I get caught up in this a lot because I throw a lot of putters and midranges. There is a local pro that always gives me crap in rounds for taking a tougher shot with a putter/mid "just because I can". He has opened up my mind to sucking it up and powering down on a driver.

Learn to throw your discs on lines, not distances. Going out a field and trying to hit the 300ft barrier will only slow your progress. Focus on throwing it with proper form and the disc will start flying further. Hitting the line with the proper throw/disc rather than "trying to throw a disc 300ft" will result in better results 100% of the time. Heed my advice, I have spent hundreds of hours in the Disc Nation field figuring it out

This last paragraph may be some of the most solid advice I have seen on here in some time....
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby Whiz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:32 pm

ZJ speaks the truth. I played a round with Barry Schultz recently and was surprised to find him throwing leopards or eagles on shots where I will often throw a midrange. By powering down on fairway drivers he was hitting his lines very, very consistently. It was a great experience to see how he attacked a course I am very familiar with.
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby UFO » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:30 pm

I think of having to "power down" to get a mid where a leopard would go with less effort, but I get the jist of working lines versus distance - a very wooded course the other day reminded me lines are def. more important.
UFO
Noob

Favorite Disc: the one i lost

Postby garublador » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:18 am

I stop throwing mids at about 320'. The range I'll use them for is about 230' to 320' with overlap on both sides (i.e. I'll use putters for some shots in the 230'-280' range and drivers in the 300'-320' range).
garublador
Disc Whore

Postby Dbuntu » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:56 pm

I throw mids in the general range of 200-300. I throw them off the teebox 85% of the time because they are easier to control and on my local courses, there just aren't a lot of holes beaking 400' The extra 50 feet of distance I get from my drivers is rarely worth the trade off in placement.
It is a poor carpenter who blames his tools
Dbuntu
Noob

Favorite Disc: All of them

Postby Tossin' in Memphis » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:21 pm

Whiz wrote:ZJ speaks the truth. I played a round with Barry Schultz recently and was surprised to find him throwing leopards or eagles on shots where I will often throw a midrange. By powering down on fairway drivers he was hitting his lines very, very consistently. It was a great experience to see how he attacked a course I am very familiar with.

he strikes me as a really cool guy...dont want to hijack but tell us a little about him?
"Strange women distributing swords from the bottom of ponds is no basis for a government"
Tossin' in Memphis
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Moving Pictures?

Postby himynameismatt » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:04 pm

A mid range shot for me is about 300'-340'

At those distances I can get a low line-drive style shots with a Z Buzzz. I can throw a Z Buzzz a little past 350' but it requires a lot of air and more movement than I'm looking for a low shot.

For 340-350 I like to disc up to something faster and a little more predictable at that range. However I'd like to keep working my Buzzz to the solid 350+ range as I develop my skills.

I should mention what mids you're throwing probably also makes a difference on how far you're pushing them. For instance I think the average Buzzz thrower is trying to push his mid further than say your average Roc thrower.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby Mike C » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:04 am

zj1002 wrote:I could throw a roc 450ft if I aired it out on a big distance line. I remember throwing one 400ft(on a big air shot) a while back with Booter next to me at the Disc Nation driving range(this was before I was throwing 550+). He was pretty much like, "thats nice, but you won't ever be able to do that shot on the course..."

This is a really good point. I'm spoiled in a way since my home course and a lot of surrounding courses have unlimited ceiling height, so if I want to throw my putter on a 360' hole there's nothing to stop me from putting it 40' high and letting it glide out to the pin. But when I'm playing a more technical course with low hanging branches and stuff, sometimes the best shot on a 275-325' shot is powering down my OLFs. Sometimes it's easy to get caught up in the mindset that "I can throw x type of disc x feet, and the sign says this hole is within that range, and DGR says use the slowest disc you can to reach a target..."

The most important thing over anything else is consistency and accuracy. When I play rounds with friends it's not unusual for me to be throwing an Ion on a hole they use a Teebird. It doesn't matter who uses what disc, what matters is the results we each get. Throw what you're comfortable with, and throw what works on a given hole / line.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby JR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:26 am

Tossin' in Memphis wrote:
Whiz wrote:ZJ speaks the truth. I played a round with Barry Schultz recently and was surprised to find him throwing leopards or eagles on shots where I will often throw a midrange. By powering down on fairway drivers he was hitting his lines very, very consistently. It was a great experience to see how he attacked a course I am very familiar with.

he strikes me as a really cool guy...dont want to hijack but tell us a little about him?

Sounds like he's in the same school with Juliana Korver in throwing 80 % tops much of the time methinks? Leos are almost as straight as the straighter mids and straighter than the beefiest mids. Lines count more than raw max available D or golf D. At least on technical courses. Distance gets cut by hitting the trees...
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Star Shark » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:55 pm

I can get a Shark out to about 305 on a kill, but generally I won't throw them on holes over 280' barring elevation and such.
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby rehder » Sat Dec 24, 2011 5:55 am

zj1002 wrote:try not to get obsessed with reaching these ideal distances.

So basically, just because the sign says 300ft, you shouldn't expect you can throw a midrange to the basket. I get caught up in this a lot because I throw a lot of putters and midranges. There is a local pro that always gives me crap in rounds for taking a tougher shot with a putter/mid "just because I can". He has opened up my mind to sucking it up and powering down on a driver.

Learn to throw your discs on lines, not distances.

While good players might be able to throw a putter or mid far on an open hole, this seldom is a good idea, because its much 'safer' to throw a hyzer if its an open hole, and most players cant throw their mids far on a pure hyzer line. (Kind of obvious I know, but its an important lesson, that many players forget.) Theres a reason why pro's always tend to throw the hyzer if its a possibility
Z-Pred, Z-Force, Destroyer, (M,S,Q)OLF, Roc, Wizard&VP
rehder
1000 Rated Poster

Postby Mike C » Mon Dec 26, 2011 6:20 pm

Hit metal from 380' with my Axis today :P
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Previous

Return to Technique