need help throwing farther

Post your videos for Critique/Comment etc..

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

need help throwing farther

Postby aerohusker » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:14 pm

Help, Im a geezer newb, what can I do to throw farther?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0SP9e3lxfg ....that and how do you paste links?
aerohusker
Noob

Favorite Disc: R-Pro Roc

Re: need help throwing farther

Postby seabas22 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:46 pm

This ain't your regular frisbee. You need to get backward and change your aim...start the lawnmower and throw the disc more like you would a hammer. I'd suggest practice throwing putters and mids before throwing fast/overstable discs that tend to wreak havoc on good form. The vid below is good with the basics, check out the technique section stickys for more advanced concepts.

seabas22
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: thunderbird

Postby CatPredator » Thu Dec 22, 2011 7:15 pm

This thread has some good information that looks like it might help you too...
CatPredator
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Aviars

Postby aerohusker » Fri Dec 23, 2011 12:07 am

Thanks, but beer is one thing I don't need help with.
aerohusker
Noob

Postby JR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:36 am

Oh i disagree completely after stocking the fridge with beer for the holidays :-D Meaning if you don't drink beer, then you may need some help to get started :-D And if you already do you can always do better :-) I don't mean necessarily more, but better ones. With so many beers in production the variety in tastes and quality is wider than in any other drink. Sure other drinks have a wide variance like whiskey, but how many of those taste like champagne or berry juice etc. and are available in so many different kinds? I've heard wildly varying estimates of the amount of beers in production for sale starting at 40 000 going to over 100 000 different kinds.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby JR » Fri Dec 23, 2011 9:42 am

You don't reach back much at all and that sacrifices dozens of feet of distance in favor of control. Your plant step lands to the left of the line you were moving on creating a hyzer. throwing flat or anhyzer adds some distance and a Starfire needs more speed and fades too hard for that power. Don't be afraid to plant the final step at 70+ degrees of toe pointed away from the target and in the x step the right leg could point up to 180 degrees away from the target with your back facing the target and arm reaching back way way back. You could double the length of arm pulling motion so that you ha e more time to accelerate the arm to a higher speed and getting more power out of the legs and hips turning more and the body swaying back to front for weight shift. Your body has a lot more mass than the disc so shifts in the weight multiply in the disc speed.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Postby aerohusker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 12:18 am

Thanks Seabass & JR!

As far as beer goes, I do like some more then others, but I've never meet one I didn't like.

Merry Christmas and drink lots!!!
aerohusker
Noob

Postby aerohusker » Sat Dec 24, 2011 10:40 pm

...So I went out today with my 17 year old kid (upper 30's light wind) focusing on reaching back and 'pulling the mower cord', while turning my back a little more, not a big change but a noticeable difference in distance, just this little adjustment probably gave me a extra 20-30' easy! I actually out drove a short hole.

Thanks Guys & Merry Christmas!
aerohusker
Noob

Postby JR » Mon Dec 26, 2011 4:43 pm

Happy holidays and glad you got an improvement. As long as your timing, form, body control etc. don't suffer from reaching back even farther you should get even more distance from reaching back even farther. Most if not all longest throwers in the world reach back very far and most turn their heels and back to the target in the x step and planting the right foot toe pointed 180 degrees away from the target. The more you reach back the more potential there is for more distance. Most never realize their full potential, because keeping everything firing in the same direction at the right time with the most power available is exceedingly difficult. It's more a years than months long learning curve.

I read very encouraging results from one of our this years new members Jennifer, who throws to 350-375' pretty regularly. Its quite amazing, what good form will do. Here's new years resolution material for you: If a lady can do that... Grins :-D.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Return to Video Critique