Axis of Evil

Golf Discs, Bags, Baskets, Videos, and other Disc Golf Related Equipment

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: Axis of Evil

Postby jubuttib » Wed Dec 28, 2011 7:17 pm

jwb wrote:So I can't stop flippin over my axis. Poor technique?
The flatter they are the less stable they are. But still they shouldn't be exactly flipping, just turning. Poor technique is the likely cause. The weight distribution seems to make the discs hang on to OAT more than normal discs, IONs are very sensitive to it too considering how stable they are when ripped cleanly.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Jewdy » Wed Dec 28, 2011 8:46 pm

jubuttib wrote:The flatter they are the less stable they are. But still they shouldn't be exactly flipping, just turning. Poor technique is the likely cause. The weight distribution seems to make the discs hang on to OAT more than normal discs, IONs are very sensitive to it too considering how stable they are when ripped cleanly.

That make a lot of sense. I didnt like the Axis I bought because it broke in more understable than I wanted. It was clear with a flat flat, almost concave top. I lost it and didnt replace it (bought a Z comet). I can throw my ions about 280 with no OAT. Maybe I need to try a more domed Axis.
Crank-Destroyers-Patriot-Rival-Firebird-Comets-Fugitive-Zone-Wizards
Jewdy
Noob

Favorite Disc: Wizard

Postby jubuttib » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:04 am

Jewdy wrote:
jubuttib wrote:The flatter they are the less stable they are. But still they shouldn't be exactly flipping, just turning. Poor technique is the likely cause. The weight distribution seems to make the discs hang on to OAT more than normal discs, IONs are very sensitive to it too considering how stable they are when ripped cleanly.
That make a lot of sense. I didnt like the Axis I bought because it broke in more understable than I wanted. It was clear with a flat flat, almost concave top. I lost it and didnt replace it (bought a Z comet). I can throw my ions about 280 with no OAT. Maybe I need to try a more domed Axis.
Slight dome is preferable to a big one, from what I saw the oranges most consistently had a nice medium dome in the first run (all the greens I've seen were pretty darn flat and the pinks were notoriously domey, at least a part of the batch).
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Mike C » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:50 am

Ironically my green glow was the domier, more OS of the two glows I've tested, but with the older runs what you said seems true.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Postby new013 » Sun Jan 15, 2012 10:47 pm

Slight dome is preferable to a big one, from what I saw the oranges most consistently had a nice medium dome in the first run (all the greens I've seen were pretty darn flat and the pinks were notoriously domey, at least a part of the batch).[/quote]

I like my orange the best as well. It's the one in my bag. I ordered some glows, i'll see how they work out when i get them.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:27 pm

From about the middle of Dec. to the middle of Jan. I played very little golf due to family vacations and illness...Coming back I was having some serious issues with my Axis. It seems if I don't practice for a bit I start throwing my Axis like a Buzzz and it doesn't work at all. Today I kept throwing until I was getting it and my Axis became magical once again. I wonder how long I'll have to use the Axis to permanently replace the Buzzz in my muscle memory...

It did make me realize that the Axis really is a touch disc, especially when broken in a little and thrown flat. It has more replaced my Fuses than my Buzzzes. With the Anode out I'm left kind of wondering what it would be like if they released a mid that was more hss. I was throwing hard, low, and flat shots with both the Anode and Axis today and the Anodes were noticeably more hss. I want a midrange version of the Anode now...I hope you are reading this Chad, because I didn't feel this way the last time you asked me and I've changed my mind.
discspeed
Most Gyroscopic Poster (MGP)

Favorite Disc: Ion

Postby Mike C » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:57 pm

I want one of these understable Axis' everyone else has :lol:
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby discspeed » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:07 pm

Mike C wrote:I want one of these understable Axis' everyone else has :lol:

My primary thrower Axis is the very first tester I tossed (green/yellow 179). It's seen a lot of abuse in terms of pine/palm trees and pavement slides. I can't throw it farther than about 250' with a chest high and completely flat release without it turning over, so I'm flipping it up from some hyzer even on 300' shots. It's a sweet disc, you'll know sooner or later(you really need to hit more trees :lol: ) what I'm talking about.
discspeed

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:42 pm

Mike C wrote:I want one of these understable Axis' everyone else has :lol:
My experiences with my slightly domey orange Axis are very much aligned with your experiences with Axes.

My experiences with my flat green Axes though are very much aligned with discspeeds experience with Axes.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Mike C » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:50 pm

Yeah my flat green FR's and my flat red eclipse are both more neutral and I use them more than the domey ones, but even so I rip these things with a driver style throw. It's actually one of the first things that sold me on them compared to Comets which they replaced for me. The Axis felt like a disc I could throw more like a driver and not finesse so much but still get true straight flights from.

I've been throwing nothing but my red eclipse Axis lately...maybe I should put my most beat flat green Axis back in the bag and see if it's more like yours Mike. Maybe I've been throwing my eclipse one so long I forgot how understable my more beat ones could fly. Either way I know with my red eclipse I have to give it anny or OAT to get any turn in calm conditions, regardless of the distance we're talking. Bear in mind when I say that, I'm generally throwing everything with a bit of hyzer and watching it flip flat. Maybe it's just the hyzer I put on my throws that makes me see the Axis differently.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:24 pm

Must be a function of grip or something, I can rip Comets without worrying about them, whereas with the flat Axes I need to be more careful. I can rip them full power and they won't turn, but any micro-OAT will flip them over.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Mike C » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:41 pm

I'd throw my Comets at full power too, but they were much easier to turn for me. They seemed much less forgiving with OAT and stuff, which is funny cause it sounds like you're having the opposite experience.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby ForeverBlue232 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:08 am

jubuttib wrote:Must be a function of grip or something, I can rip Comets without worrying about them, whereas with the flat Axes I need to be more careful. I can rip them full power and they won't turn, but any micro-OAT will flip them over.

This is why I don't like to throw the Axis from the teebox. I almost always seem to get OAT in there and flip them like there is no tomorrow. Hopefully I can correct that and get more use out of my Axis than just as an approach disc.
JimW wrote:If the answer isn't PD you asked the wrong question.

**Flow**Northman**Amp**PD**Stag**Drone**Wasp**Mace**Suspect**Tangent**Anode**
ForeverBlue232
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PD

Postby jubuttib » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:18 am

Mike C wrote:I'd throw my Comets at full power too, but they were much easier to turn for me. They seemed much less forgiving with OAT and stuff, which is funny cause it sounds like you're having the opposite experience.
Actually I think both are just about as forgiving or non-forgiving with OAT, but for reasons unknown it's easier for me to throw Comets without OAT.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby discspeed » Sat Jan 28, 2012 8:53 am

jubuttib wrote:
Mike C wrote:I'd throw my Comets at full power too, but they were much easier to turn for me. They seemed much less forgiving with OAT and stuff, which is funny cause it sounds like you're having the opposite experience.
Actually I think both are just about as forgiving or non-forgiving with OAT, but for reasons unknown it's easier for me to throw Comets without OAT.

I agree with this. My Axis is touchy enough that I feel like if I carry 2 Axis in my bag I start to lose my touch, so I only carry the one. I don't have any issues like this with my Vectors (which is weird because I've traditionally had release issues with big bead discs).
discspeed

PreviousNext

Return to Equipment