How long had you played before your first par round?

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

Re: How long had you played before your first par round?

Postby Itchy » Sat Sep 03, 2011 4:31 pm

I learned one summer on a pitch 'n' putt. Was going under par before the summer was over. Then went to school and the course there is pretty legit. Took me about 5/6 months of playing that course before I got an under par round.

This summer I spent designing a course with a portable basket. Going through Parks & Recs to put it in later this calendar year. I thought I'd made it pretty difficult, but after 4 months of playing the tweaked version of the course I went -2. Only time I'd gone par or under though and there was zero wind that day, so I'm sure that helped.
Gorilla Boy Spider Monkey
TL - FL - Valkyrie - PD - Cyclone - Element - Meteor - Roc Plus - Gremlin - Summit - Wizard
SLO Throwers mini
Itchy
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: S Gremlin

Postby new013 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 6:30 pm

I really started taking disc golf seriously and playing quite a bit in the fall of last year, didn't play that much over winter but I believe sometime in the winter was the first time I hit par at Kentwood, our local pitch and putt. I didn't start keeping track of my scores until 3/5/11 and the first recorded round I have is a 53 at Kentwood.
"F*ck... here comes that guy New013."
new013
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: TL

Postby Smigles » Tue Sep 06, 2011 8:16 am

About 4 months till my first tournament par round.

I am sure though that I played par before on our local course, but I dont have all the old scoresheets.
Smigles
Steward Turkeylink: This ranks means I can't read or follow basic directions

Favorite Disc: Aviar,Wasp,Nuke

Postby tgm » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:54 pm

I just finally made it under par (53) at Acorn Park, MN last weekend. They had the holes in the winter locations but I was still pretty happy. Previously, my best on the course was +2. This season I've seen the most improvement in my playing.
sols, trak, pd/teebird, firebird, buzzz, ridge, summit
tgm
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby zeppelin47 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:05 pm

I've played Acorn a couple of times. I think my best was +2 or +3. It's pretty short, but rather wooded, so I would imagine that playing it would be easier once the leaves fell, but I've only played it in the summer.
zeppelin47
Noob

Favorite Disc: Champion Orc

Postby jenb » Thu Dec 15, 2011 4:36 pm

Over 6 years to score 54 on an 18 hole course. Posted par is 56, but it's a 46 SSA course. So it's a pretty easy course, but not exactly a pitch and putt.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby UFO » Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:39 pm

Interesting thread, but would be better if everybody could state hours played instead of yrs and then applied that to the same 18 hole course. I know guys that play every freakin day - one of their months with consecutive days played would easily equal a weekenders year! And we have lots of courses around here that are tough in the DFW area, those cats that posted about being naturally gifted would still get that @ss handed to them for quite sometime before shooting a par round here. But nevertheless, interesting thread.
UFO
Noob

Favorite Disc: the one i lost

Postby jenb » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:13 pm

Finally went under on my second course ever on Monday. It was my fifth ever round on that course. It's a "beginner" course where par is about a 900 rated round. I was more like 6 over there at a tournament a few weeks ago.
:p
jenb
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: judge

Postby JR » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:32 pm

That's quite a swing meaning 48 ratings points. Congratulations! Also i read on the PDGA forums that you regularly throw to 350-375', which is great for anyone so for a lady and in such a short time you must have attacked the sport like a rabid animal and trained a lot. Good times :-) What changed to make that 6 stroke improvement and do you think you can keep the new level of playing? 5 times on a course is not much is it partially getting to know how to play the course better or were you playing better?
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby Mark Ellis » Wed Dec 28, 2011 10:34 pm

My first week. I quickly learned that putting was darn near impossible for me. So my first round at Firefighters (Troy, Michigan) I threw every upshot under the basket and took 18 pars, never risking a putt outside of 10 feet or so. Then the grim reality set in that par at an easy course was going to get me nowhere.

Chuck Kennedy wrote:The real question is how long until you shot your first 1000 rated round... 8)

No idea. Probably before a 1000 rated round was invented. Now that I know they exist I need a lot more of them.
Mark Ellis
The Big Fundamental

Favorite Disc: Rattler

Postby Ismo.L » Thu Dec 29, 2011 1:06 pm

A little over two months went before i hit the par score.
Disc Golf player since 2.5.2011
Ismo.L
Noob

Favorite Disc: Sword

Postby ChrisWoj » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:54 am

I would say somewhere between my 8th and 10th round on my first course - Ohio Northern University, in Ada, Ohio. It is a fairly easy course - from those short tees the SSA is probably 44 or 43. Keep in mind that before I ever played a course - I'd played the ENTIRE prior fall semester with frisbees and trees/tables/benches as targets. My first tournament a month later I was playing 900 level. But, to answer Chuck's addition to the thread it was another two years I believe before I finally shot a 1000+ rated round at the `07 Hambrick.
ChrisWoj
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: ProD Challenger

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 02, 2012 2:36 am

I've shot under par on dozens of courses, and don't remember my first...but only a few months ago shot under par at my home course (DeLaveaga), which is around 1000-rated par.
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Previous

Return to General Discussion