how do you grip your putter?

Information, Questions, Discussion about Throwing Mechanics and Technique

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

how do you grip your putter?

Postby Booter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:35 pm

just curious to see how others grip their putter when putting.

since im a spin putter id like to see those grips most of all. i dont pitch putt but i dont mind seeing all grips.

i have smaller hands so ive always had an unusual grip than the typical grip i see most do. ive tried to put my index underneath the bead but it always causes me to grip lock so i have my index on the nose of the putter. the bottom 3 fingers are what ive not seen. my putting has been crap lately and im seriously considering a new putting grip to be more consistent with release.

post a pics if you can please so i can see what you use. also state if your a pitch,spin or a hybrid of both.

heres mine.kinda hard to take a pic of the back side but you get the idea
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Favorite Disc: square ones

Re: how do you grip your putter?

Postby Star Shark » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:39 pm

Fairly similar to that but my 3 fingers under the disc tend to wedge themselves into the rim...
-- Star Shark
Star Shark
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Ghost, Patriot, SL

Postby jwb » Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:42 pm

I use the Climo fan grip.
jwb
Noob

Favorite Disc: M Wizard

Postby Pwingles » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:01 pm

Mine is identical to your 3rd pic except i have my index finger under the disc resting on the first joint of the finger, also the same grip i use to drive putters and mids, never felt right with the finger on he outside of the disc or power gripping mids and putters.
Pwingles
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Gwoove

Postby Booter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:18 pm

funny enough, when i approach and drive with a putter,my index finger rests on the bead on the first joint lol. i dunno y it doesnt feel right for putts
always looking for:
flat pink/red barstamp buzzzs, ce aviars, pearly pro candy fb's, pearly champion gators (fr or stock stamp),
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby Whiz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:11 pm

Spin putting and pitch putting I keep the rim of the disc tucked into the second joint of my index finger. What have you been having problems with in your putting?
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Booter » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:19 pm

just the typical stuff. missing right or left. i have the rim on the 2nd joint on my middle finger too. for a short bit i was consistently canning anything in the circle then i didnt play for a week or practice and my puttin went to shit.its frustrating. ive been trying to take out unnecessary movement in my routine to make it more consistent but its a struggle lately.
always looking for:
Booter
Das Boot!

Postby Whiz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:26 pm

All of the best spin putters I know (the pros I mean) have a very quick release that is very close to their torso. Generally, if my spin putting is off it is because I am not accelerating quickly enough and my elbow opens too much before my wrist opens. The HUGE difference between putting and throwing is that you are trying to power the disc on a straight line. To do that, the quickest motion possible before releasing the disc is ideal. I focus on pushing my palm toward the target and instantly springing my fingers toward the basket. Once you lose that quickness you will miss a TON left and right.

I was a spin putter (dominant) for a long time and I finally got tired of the left/right misses and switched to a push putt. It has been hard but worth it and I cannot wait for tournament play in 2012 for the work to pay off. I use a putt similar to Feldberg and the benefit is that you don't have to worry about the elbow at all. You just swing the arm and pitch it. The timing and weight shift is vastly more important than for a spin putt but you benefit by never three-putting and having a high percentage inside the circle. I would say it would probably take at least 3-5 thousand practice putts to switch. I tell almost everyone newer player I play with not to emulate my putting unless they really, really are willing to work at it. Of course, I am not the most athletically inclined person so that advice should be taken with a grain of salt.

Most of what I wrote here is detailed in Blake's putting troubleshooting in the articles/technique repair section of DGR. Have you checked that out?

Anyways, good luck with the putting. I understand your frustration. I have been working for years at increasing my driving distance with little result. It takes work but it is worth it if you have the dream.

Good luck.
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Postby Whiz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:29 pm

Also, Blake has talked about how spin putting will lead to periods of missing right or left. The best times in my career during which I spin putted were when I was practicing my spin putting a lot, but especially short putts. I would practice 300-500 putts inside of 15' per day. That kind of practice close to the basket builds timing, feel and confidence. Mark Ellis' putting confidence program is basically where I started and what I am trying to get back to as I work on my push putt during the winter.
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Postby himynameismatt » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:26 am

I'll add pics later but as a push putter the grip I use I tuck my index finger under the rim bead on the first joint. My middle and ring fingers are fanned under the flight plate. Pinky fanned out as well but pointed towards the rim. Really experimented with a lot of different grips before finding this one, not only comfortable but im able to generate a lot of spin from just my finger spring this way.
Wizard - Buzzz - Predator - TD - PD - Destroyer
himynameismatt
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Wizard/Buzzz/PD

Postby MizzouTiger26 » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:52 am

Booter wrote:just the typical stuff. missing right or left. i have the rim on the 2nd joint on my middle finger too. for a short bit i was consistently canning anything in the circle then i didnt play for a week or practice and my puttin went to shit.its frustrating. ive been trying to take out unnecessary movement in my routine to make it more consistent but its a struggle lately.

Same thing has happened with me. I spin putt with the pinky tucked into the rim, middle and ring fanned under the rim, and pointer tucked on 1st joint. I've started to do a push/spin hybrid sort of thing which is working better for me.
PD~PD2~Quasar~Stalker~11xBanshee~Fuse~Axis~Gator~P2
MizzouTiger26
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Fuse

Postby vtbuzzz » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:06 pm

I have found I get the least amounts of left or right misses when I put the putter in the "pocket" of my palm, and make sure its there right before I putt. I still miss up and down but that is another issue all together. But at least I hit center pole/chains/chastity belt consistently.
vtbuzzz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: Buzzz

Postby JHern » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:30 am

The only thing that matters is how the disc leaves your hand, and how reproducible and flexible (to deal with a variety of scenarios) is the motion you use to make it occur with minimal error. After watching lots of pros, I pop all my fingers and thumb open quickly upon release. That's what gives the impression of "shaking hands," and the purpose is to calibrate the timing of the release as well as to get your fumbling stupid fingers out of the way so they don't screw anything up. I also need to give the disc the speed and air it needs to hit the chains at the sweet level, and that requires throwing with more force, more purposely, almost punching at the basket. For example, watch Josh Anthon putt some time (or on youtube), the guy's arm and wrist come out and strike like a cobra. It's an anhyzer-flex/spin-putting style. The disc comes out of the snake's mouth as it strikes, and darts right into center chains. Dialed-in!
Japan bag...
Drivers: Starlite Wraith (158g), Gummy Champion Leopard (150g), 1st Run Z-Talon (150g)
Mid-Range: Star Classic Roc (146g), R-Pro Roc (157g)
Putt/Approach: Legacy Protege Clozer (158g), Glow DX Aviar (150g)
JHern
Please ask me about my insider info on pros! Oh GOD please ask me!

Favorite Disc: Clutch

Return to Technique