DG Instructional Videos Project

Disc Golf Talk

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

DG Instructional Videos Project

Postby Mike C » Fri Dec 30, 2011 3:29 pm

On another DG board I asked some newer players what kind of disc golf tutorials they'd like to see, if any. While a few specific ideas were proposed the most agreed upon answer was simply everything.

I thought about it and as far as I'm aware there isn't any one centralized location to get quality tutorial videos from intro to how the game is played up to the more advanced stuff.

I thought it sounded like a fun project so I think I'm going to try and do it. I figure I'll start with a basic overview of the game, showing just the very basics so people understand how its played. Then from there, do a video on the very basics of a putt, then approach, then drive. Then do some videos explaining how to select discs right for your skill level and how to build a complete bag, videos for more advanced techniques like max D drives, OH rollers, hyzer flips etc. Hopefully I'll be able to film local players as well as myself so I can show off different styles and techniques better.

I'll compile all of them into a playlist ordered so you can start at the intro and work your way through the basics, then the advanced. Maybe separate playlists for technique videos and disc selection videos?

Then I'll make another playlist full of training drills. Stuff like towel snap drills, putting practice routines, accuracy drills etc.

I figure with all the videos I do, I'll also compile links to any applicable articles that relate to the video, such as articles on this site and different disc manufacturers websites.

Any ideas you have would be appreciated. Next sunny day I'm going to start working on this.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Favorite Disc: Soft Ion

Re: DG Instructional Videos Project

Postby jubuttib » Fri Dec 30, 2011 4:33 pm

While there isn't a really good repository of such stuff, the Technique Primer thread is by no means a bad start.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
Anode|ION|JOKERi|MD2|FD|TD|PD|LEGENDa
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Favorite Disc: Orange FR P-Line MD2

Postby Sean40474 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:33 pm

I'm really interested in this idea; I wish I could be there to help as I love doing this kind of stuff. In the fall of '09 we put on a clinic at a high school where adults and kids of all ages showed up to learn. We had different stations setup all around the property for putting, mid-range type throwing, and another for driving (mix of OH, FH, and BH). We never did get into the advanced throws or trick shots though. Then the following year we put on some clinics and at the end of the summer last year, we did a clinic specifically for woman and it turned out awesome. A bunch of donated "beginner" type discs and gave them to the girls that showed up. The other thing we taught about disc golf is proper etiquette and about the garbage and vandalism issues. All in all, it was pretty awesome to set some straight from the beginning.
It's all about discipline and focused practice!

masterbeato wrote:...900 feet, everybody is happy.
Sean40474
Colonel Cleavage

Favorite Disc: PDGazelle/Comet/Pure

Postby Whiz » Fri Dec 30, 2011 6:33 pm

What do you mean by accuracy drills? Examples?
E* DD2, Wraith, Glow Firebird, S-P-C PD, TD, Leopard, Roc, KC Aviar
Whiz
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: S Wiz/S PD

Postby Mike C » Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:16 pm

I don't know how many of you have used Reddit before, but I went a head and created my own subreddit for this project. I thought it might be an easy way to keep things organized. http://www.reddit.com/r/dgproject/

Sean40474 wrote:In the fall of '09 we put on a clinic at a high school where adults and kids of all ages showed up to learn.........

That's a really cool idea. I know they're starting to push DG int he schools in my area, which is pretty awesome.

Whiz wrote:What do you mean by accuracy drills? Examples?

I have two I've used pretty regularly.

The first is simply setting up a basket in an open field and trying to hit it from a variety of distances. Like take 5 putters with you and try to can 100' approach shots, then 150', 200' and so on. Doing this is how I taught myself how to forehand.

The second is going to a soccer field and starting at 150' away or so, throw goals. Then gradually move further and further back. This is really fun to try and do about 400' away with a distance driver, it teaches you how to throw a nice and straight low line real quick.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:57 am

If I were to make a video it'd be 5 seconds long and just have someone shouting "THROW YOUR DAMN PUTTERS!"

That or a sort of powerpoint type dealie with stuff about PLH, weight, dome, spin and angles.
Parks wrote:If the posts on this forum are any indication, the PD is like a Teebird with sunshine coming out of its butthole so hard that it flies faster.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Triflusal » Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:43 pm

jubuttib wrote:That or a sort of powerpoint type dealie with stuff about PLH, weight, dome, spin and angles.

this would do a lot to diffuse misinformation. I like it
Triflusal
Effective absolute Communicator

Favorite Disc: whamo malibu

Postby Mike C » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:18 pm

If you think any of them suck, or I left anything important out, let me know.
Mike C
Fairway Surgeon

Postby jubuttib » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:21 pm

Maybe make a thread for these in the technique section.
jubuttib
Long Finnish Word

Postby Dookville » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:50 pm

Excellent stuff Mike, great for beginners yet you go deep enough on each subject to help get the thoughts flowing for more experienced players.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby Dookville » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:16 pm

That really is some good sh*t Mike, don't stop.
"JimW wrote:
Every time I've ever tried to implement any of the advice from on here to get more distance on my drives it has ended up wrecking my game completely for a while.
Dookville
Tree Magnet

Favorite Disc: PAIN

Postby JR » Sat Jan 14, 2012 12:42 pm

OAT addition. Maybe you should add that the arm should move on the same plane from start to hit to follow through. Other causes of OAT. Unclean releases. Different grips have different finger contacts to the disc during the disc pivot. Wrist rolls. Dissimilar arm motion plane to other body parts like shoulders and hips. Related to the previous is the direction of the running line and where the plant step lands and where the follow through step lands.

Regarding aiming. You should aim with the eyes too late in the throw in addition to the feel of the weight of the disc in the acceleration and pivot. In addition to the running direction and pulling in a straight line.

Regarding powering down one can slow down stepping speed and make the steps shorter while planting with the foot pointed very little away from the target. Nobody forces you to reach back that far. You could use a shorter arm motion than the right pec drill if need be.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Return to General Discussion