keltik's 2012 bag o'shenanigans

Post your Bag Critique Requests, Talk about your Bag set up etc...

Moderators: Timko, Solty, Frank Delicious, Blake_T, Fritz, Booter

keltik's 2012 bag o'shenanigans

Postby keltik » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:57 pm

Long Drivers:
Z & X Avengers
Z & ESP Avenger SS's

"Fairway" Drivers:
DX & Champ EXs
DX, Pro & Champ Leos

Mids:
Z Hornet
GL & Opto Cores
GL & Opto Fuses

Utility:
Opto xXx
ESP Zone
DX Polecat

Putters:
Grip Pures

I'm on the fence with the Z Hornet now that I've started tossing Eagles again. I feel like I can do the same stuff with a powered down Champ EX as I can with a Hornet. I mainly throw the Hornet for FH. I think the Avengers/SS are also on the watch list after this off season. EX/Leo is a dynamic duo.

I guess I'll know after the Ice Bowls this month.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Favorite Disc: Polecat!! Ò.ó

Re: keltik's 2012 bag o'shenanigans

Postby BrotherDave » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:31 pm

Man, you've got a Zone, xXx, Eagles and Avengers. Yeah, I see no point for the Hornet. You no like the Pain? Eagles and Leos do make a great combo. What are you thinking about replacing the Avengers/SS with? Something a little faster?
Some discs of various sizes, weight, plastic and mold.
BrotherDave
Blue-footed booby fan

Favorite Disc: DX Blue Footed Booby

Postby keltik » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:43 pm

well the Zone Hornet & xXx all do different things for me. the EXs and Avengers do similar things at similar distances but only really in relation to each other. I kinda see the Hornet as a shorter EX. and I usually only throw the Hornet FH. I think I may drop the Hornet.

I see xXx for what it is and only really use it for utilitarian purposes. Same thing with the Zone but I tend to pull it out for short FH duties that require fade. but I also flick the Polecat if necessary. the Polecat is an amazing piece of plastic.

the more I think about things and the courses I usually play around here I could possibly drop the Avenger/SS duo and just use the EX/Leo pairing. I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me that I need to keep that "faster" pairing of the Avenger/SS.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby sunspot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:07 pm

keltik wrote:the more I think about things and the courses I usually play around here I could possibly drop the Avenger/SS duo and just use the EX/Leo pairing. I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me that I need to keep that "faster" pairing of the Avenger/SS.

Which is easier to throw longer, EX or Avenger? Which is easier to throw on lower lines, EX or Avenger? Which is easier to get more consistent/repeatable throws, EX or Avenger?

If you can answer these questions you might be able to come closer to a conclusion.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Favorite Disc: Trash Lid

Postby Fightingthetide » Sun Jan 08, 2012 5:54 pm

sunspot wrote:
keltik wrote:the more I think about things and the courses I usually play around here I could possibly drop the Avenger/SS duo and just use the EX/Leo pairing. I guess I'm looking for someone to tell me that I need to keep that "faster" pairing of the Avenger/SS.

Which is easier to throw longer, EX or Avenger? Which is easier to throw on lower lines, EX or Avenger? Which is easier to get more consistent/repeatable throws, EX or Avenger?

If you can answer these questions you might be able to come closer to a conclusion.

What if consistency doesn't come with distance? IMO, EX's fly far enough and are deadly accurate, and are superb when paired with something like a Wraith.

If it matters, I've never thrown an Avenger/SS. I'm not comparing, only saying what I know to be true about EX's.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:14 pm

the bad part about all this is that on the courses I play I'm throwing putter 90% of the time. For a long time I couldn't throw anything faster than an ION. I switched some discs around and now I'm back on but I haven't thrown an Avenger in a long time. I do remember them being kinda nose angle sensitive. This winter I've been throwing the Eagle/Leopard combo just for kicks. It has really worked. I feel I can control the Eagle/Leopard better. I can get some crazy distance out of them too. I just haven't tried the Avenger/SS combo in a few months. I was hoping to play an Ice Bowl yesterday at a longer course but I had to put a new bumper on my car. So I won't know how the bag does until later this winter. I also seemed to have consistency problems with the Avenger. The SS did well for me though. All this raises setup theory questions. I've been getting a consistent 400 with the EX/Leo. the Pro Leo I have can bomb (it's actually 177g). I always felt I had to throw the Avenger hard to get it to perform. the EX/Leo I can throw 70-80% and get results. but like I said I haven't thrown the Avenger/SS in a loooooooooooong time.

I guess for right now I'm just going to abbreviate the bag to:

EX/Leo
Core/Fuse
Zone/Polecat
Pure

Damn I miss Zebulon.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby sunspot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:17 pm

Fightingthetide wrote:
sunspot wrote:

What if consistency doesn't come with distance? IMO, EX's fly far enough and are deadly accurate, and are superb when paired with something like a Wraith.

If it matters, I've never thrown an Avenger/SS. I'm not comparing, only saying what I know to be true about EX's.

I've notice that the distance between the EXs and Avengers are not vast. Well, at least not for me. I'm able to put the Avengers out to 400 on a good rip. The most I've been able to push an EX is around 380.

Either way, if Keltik decide's to keep the EXs and bounce the Avengers I don't think he will miss much.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Sunspot if I do decide to totally bounce my Avies I'll give you first crack and a good deal.

I have thrown my beat X Avenger 450 but then again that thing flies more like a Valk nowadays. and also like I said I don't have the chance or space to really use a disc like that. If this pans out like I smell it's going to I'm going to have a huge spring cleaning sale (and subsequently a really happy wife).
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby sunspot » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I appreciate that.

I've thought about going back to EXs. They are a great mold. Honestly, I'm holding out for a MVP fairway/hybrid driver. If they can make one that is comparable to an EX or Timberwolf I might jump ship. As it stands, I'll be sticking with my Avengers and XLs.
sunspot
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:40 pm

I got a big stack of XLs to unload now that I've got Leopard fever. I'll give you first crack at those too.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby keltik » Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:18 pm

well now that I've admitted to suckitude and have resolved to fix it with some tournaments (sounds ridiculous I know). I think I need to have a solid bag that I can't screw up with.

so here goes:

EX
Leo
Buzzz
Fuse
Pure
xXx
Zone
Polecat
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby JR » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:20 pm

That can work depending on how straight that Buzzz is. The Fuse ain't always a good option as a straight shooter and many Buzzzes fade especially on uphill throws. Comet may be better than the Fuse on tight holes that surround you. I'd get something faster than a FW for long distance work.
Flat shots need running on the center line of the tee and planting each step on the center line. Anhyzer needs running from rear right to front left with the plant step hitting the ground to the left of the line you're running on. Hyzer is the mirror of that.
JR
Scandinavian Video Mafia

Favorite Disc: About to ace

Postby keltik » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:48 pm

The fuse I have is tm and beat. I have been eyeing my comet stack though.

What do you suggest for faster discs?
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Postby Fightingthetide » Sat Jul 28, 2012 1:41 pm

For a faster disc, have you thrown a Sword? They aren't crazy overstable at the end of their flight if you get a VIP near or under 170g. Tourney plastic is even less stable. Or if you dont want something much faster, get a Star or Champ Valk. For me, Valks fly 20' shy of my Sword and finish a little straighter once they are broken in.

And for a straight mid, check out a Warship. If it's thrown too high, it will fade a good bit at the end. If you keep them low, they have tremendous glide and stay on their line really well. A new VIP Warship will flex back from a slight anhyzer on a higher line, or flat frozen rope low lines. But yeah, Comet would be an excellent choice for a slower, more controlled mid. Warship is a little faster, and Fuse turns more.
Fightingthetide
1000 Rated Poster

Postby keltik » Sat Jul 28, 2012 5:36 pm

Well I threw some practice shots today in the soccer fields by the house and I think I may add the Comet.

I may not go with anything faster than the EX and Leo. I don't think I'll have occasion for something faster and I think it will hurt me since I don't really use them often and am not as comfortable with them.

as far as the Warship I think it will be like the Core which I dropped in favor of the Buzzz.
keltik
2010 DGR Donator

Next

Return to Bag Critique / Discussion